ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Subframe help

Hey,

Having some problems! My '02 172 failed its MOT as the previous owner seems to have taken a blow torch to the subframe to make some holes in order to tighten up the steering rack bolts (talk about bodge job!).

I ordered a second hand subframe from a reputable citroen/renault breakers, however once my mechanic went to fit it, it turned out to be the wrong one (as was the second replacement they sent). The car's been put back together with the old one till I can get a proper one sorted.

Am I right in thinking there could only be two possible 172 subframes, phase 1 and phase 2?

Does anyone know where I could get a new subframe other than from Renault? (no luck with Euro car parts/GSF)

Cheers
J

Cheers for the replies. I'm a bit wary of second hand ones now after the problems I've had, (garage almost charged me for taking the existing one out and refitting it!).

Apparently the front transverse mount was too high and something was wrong with the exhaust lugs.

Not sure what to think, as the bloke from the breakers is adamant that the frame is correct and the mechanic is s**t, and the mechanic is saying the frames wrong and the breakers are s**t! :S

A4 130
I got a non sport subframe from cliospares for £60 last year, just drilled in the hole for the mount

BMW M135i
I hate to say that this would be one of the parts id get from Renault only to ensure it is the right one...
At £350+ I doubt many people would go that route, although your right in saying its the only way to get one thats 110% straight and fits.

Cheers for the replies. I'm a bit wary of second hand ones now after the problems I've had, (garage almost charged me for taking the existing one out and refitting it!).

Apparently the front transverse mount was too high and something was wrong with the exhaust lugs.

Not sure what to think, as the bloke from the breakers is adamant that the frame is correct and the mechanic is s**t, and the mechanic is saying the frames wrong and the breakers are s**t! :S

Well i'm not sure what he means by front transverse mount as the only mount associated with the subframe on a 1*2 is the 4th gearbox mount and it can't really be too high/low tbh and the subframe hasn't really got anything to do with the exhaust or how it mounts.