ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Sump gasket

RS Clio 172 Cup
I presume the holes are for the bolts to go though. Not sure on what the gasket looks like to be honest.

BTW use some silcone sealant aswell to seal the sump better. And if your replacing the sump for a new one, i would reccomend to paint the outside with some Black Hammerite for extra protection.

Fantastic CS advice as ever.

I know what the f**king holes are for.

Should it be a rubber strip or a flat gasket is what I'm asking. Because the pictures in the manual look like it should be flat but they are only illustrations so I don't know if they're accurate or not.

RS Clio 172 Cup
I presume the rubber strip will fit into a groove around the top lip of the sump, to hold it in place. Not 100% sure though?

Have you brought the new gasket coz its leaking or you fitting a new sump and gasket?

340i
I need to replace mine soon... Got a slight leak!

Can the sump be removed with the subframe in place?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
dont put any silicone on with it ffs, it will be fine with just the rubber gasket.

ITB'd MK1
it's a rubber gasket that sits in a groove. No liquid gasket needed, and you can remove the sump with the subframe on if you lift the engine high enough :)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Lol at this thread.

How much did the stealer sting you for it ?

Got an advisory from Bury Renault yesterday in their 25 point health check that i need a new one fitted , they quoted me £330 :eek: Is it such a ballache of a job when i can a gasket for £22 , £308 labour :nono:

182 trackday racer
It’s easy to change it, just have a good torque wrench and follow the tightening order closely. And make sure everything is clean; I used industrial gasoline to clean it. I also used additional Renault oil persistent silicone (same as Renault clamied to use for it) as extra sealant around the bolt holes and around the crank seals (in the picture)

Dry and clean ever since!

EDIT: Put the sealant for the bolts in the sump bellow the gasket.

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
15Nm. BUT! you are supposed to thighten them two times and in sequence. I think it is 7 or 8Nm the first time and 15Nm the last time.

PB172,dci100,dci65
Is it enough to detach the upper engine mount or its advised to free others as well? I need to replace the seal due leaks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk