ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 throttle bodies

a manifold to fit them!!!!

I cant find anywhere.......

we got ours direct off renault sport, which isnt an option for the public.

But we did end up with 215bhp on an otherwise std motor!

Renault Laguna Coupe

You get the whole lot with this kit:

Twin Alpha Throttle Bodies
Alpha ECU (programmable)
Inlet manifold & fitting kit
Throttle linkage
Lambda sensor
Prices from £1762.50 inc VAT.

They claim a 30bhp improvement on a standard Vauxhall 2.0 XE unit, no figures for the 172.

Oh, they do them for valvers as well!

Almost forgot - the manufacturer: http://www.webcon.co.uk/alpha/http://www.webcon.co.uk/alpha/

but they probably wont have the manifold.....

the XE responds to TBs and simple cams changes really really well...and is why its so popular in competition.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Yeah thats the difficult bit. Still, it does say Clio 172 on the applications list, so gotta be worth 10p for a phone call in the morning.

does tbs realy need a new ecu... aint the mk2 ecu reprogramable...

or new ecu is needed because of controlling tbs... tell me about it.. and off course im not a mechanic:) but im realy interested.. if it is viable ill buy all the parts and modify my car here im portugal:)

Quote: Originally posted by orlandopaulo on 24 February 2003

does tbs realy need a new ecu YES

... aint the mk2 ecu reprogramable... NO

or new ecu is needed because of controlling tbs... tell me about it.. and off course im not a mechanic:) but im realy interested.. if it is viable ill buy all the parts and modify my car here im portugal:)

The std RENIX system is far too difficult to remap, doe NOT have the control your looking for, the resolution and capabilities of standalone management is far better, and its WAY easier. rather than splice into the std loom. Find or make a program that bypasses the security, immob and doen not interupt other functions of teh computer. Dont forget, it also controls the windscreen wipers, aircon, airbags etc etc.

So about £170 for the manifold. Four throttle bodies will cost I guess between £400 and £500. I think you can get an Engine Management system for £500. So looking at over a £1000 for parts....

hummmm.... ok...its more 400 that the nitro kit... and ive only got to buy the kit.. recharging nitro aint a problem...

what do ya say... put limiter to 7500 and programable nitro kit for 210-220bhp?? tell me .. ya got a car with nitro is it good enough??

depends on jetting and size of the bottle.

I run 2 9lb cylinders, which are actually fire extinguishers....lol...they are the same thing.

It can last 30 mins, it cna last 1 day, it can last 2 weeks...how much you gonna use. After i got over the novelty of teasing faster cars, i stopped and then used about 18lbs every 2 weeks.....only when people are pissing me off.

Hey guys,

I dont understand... Why werent 172s fitted with these individual throttle bodies to begin with? I mean for goodness sakes if they give 160kw from a normal 2.0 litre why dont other car manufacturers use them instead of turbos? Whats the catch? Fuel consumption? Bad idling?

the way the engine delivers its power - it is inconvinient for street use
the price of the thing.
space usage
probable lack of some low-end.
theyre loud (very loud sometimes)

I think im correct in stating the original BMW M3 has multiple throttle bodies and that was back in the eighties !

Nope

Nope

And Nope

The 172 doesnt have individual throttlebodies, it has a single one, a plenam (the box with Renaultsport cast into it and 4 runners to the head. 172bhp from a 2ltr is not stressing it at all. Its a compramise for rd use, fuel comsumption and general all round drvability.

Running on TBs the engine will retain its normal driving characteristics. Abiet with a shed load more power. Noise yes,but NICE noise. No lack of low end, your still running the same camshaft, and effectively, with a more efficient injection system you can gain low end.

Not sure about the origianl M3 but the current one does run 6 throttlebodies....but it doesnt mean there isnt room for improvement.......there is till much power to be gianed...

FRST and 106 GTi

if the RS ecu is not remapable then youre stuck! stand alone EMS could be pain when wiring into a loom, keeping the std ecu for those (give weight) car features. I think.

knowing this, you can wire a M3D into the RS... custom maping its the Stage2 pain... but, no pain no gain!

just run new management, makes life so uch easier then messing about......no need to splice in to most features.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

dont k-tek do a manifold for the 172? isnt the original one good enuf for a tb conversion? or is it all down to materials? :confused:

the original manifold (inlet) you cannot fit a set of DCOE flange TBs.....

Not sure Ktec do one.....but no harm in asking.

DT, they have the KIT for the TB;s and duel rain, and pump, and ECU etc etc etc. but it wont onclude the inlet manifold....which is the hard bit to find....so far, 1 source of inlet manifold.