ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172s are dirt cheap now

2005 clio 182
Is it me or has the price of phase 1 and phase 2s gone right down now? I've got a phase 1 that needs a few things doing to it before I sell it,but it's starting to look like I'll get more money back if I broke it,than if I fixed it up to sell on, anyone having this dilemma?

LY R26 230 F1 Team
I think cheap ones are cheap for reasons, they've been to the moon and back, not looked after, need belts doing, body work is a state etc etc.

A Decent 172, with sensible miles, that needs no work doing with no problems will still get/cost good money. As said they are 10yr old cars....

Sunflower Ph1 172
plenty of them on the market, and plenty of them that are in crap condition. Can pick up a ph1, or a ph2 cup for next to nothing now.

Black 172
I paid £1400 for my PH2 and think it was damn good value, but that's what happens when you buy older cars - you do tend to get a lot of car for your money.
They're around a decade old now... not many cars manage to hold much value after that time.

They've not depreciated that much compared to some other cars like gas guzzling BMWs and Volvo's of similar age which I've seen sell for much less than £1400.

I'd never buy a new car, unless I became filthy rich. There's too many deals to be had second hand.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Some ph1's are actually more expensive that the poor ph2's.

Oh and Titanium ftw!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
its because they are all falling to bits now, i had to spend £600+ 3yrs ago on a 4yr old one with 40k to tighten up the front end and guess what im doing 3yrs latter on my current one! same again! (dampers, top mounts, track rods, track rod ends, bottom arms & geometry setup)

SQ5
Mines in fairly good nick with belts done, just no MOT and tax as it's been in the garage a few months. Only want £750 as just want rid! I paid £1600 for it nearly a year back!

Megane r26
That is why this forum is slowly getting more and more Nobbers joining.

Exactly what i thought tbh, but insurance will still be keeping young chavs at bay! It happened years ago when i was into saxo's, soon as the price dropped the forum got populated with goons! So i elevated my company an moved here haha

2005 clio 182
I think I might go the sell it as it is route,cracked screen,ball joint needs doing,bonnet cable snapped,sticky throttle,and I have no receipts for the belts being done,these only seem like little things except for the belts, I just don't think I'm going to keep it long enough to spend the money on it.I'll probably get more money breaking it,but I haven't got a driveway or the time to do it.

tiTTy & SV650
its because they are all falling to bits now, i had to spend £600+ 3yrs ago on a 4yr old one with 40k to tighten up the front end and guess what im doing 3yrs latter on my current one! same again! (dampers, top mounts, track rods, track rod ends, bottom arms & geometry setup)

but you'd achieve 80% of the improvement with track rods alone probably

260% JCW
Exactly what i thought tbh, but insurance will still be keeping young chavs at bay! It happened years ago when i was into saxo's, soon as the price dropped the forum got populated with goons! So i elevated my company an moved here haha

I doubt it..... young people these days seem only to happy to bend over and pay the insurance company's £2k+ for a Clio.

Still it makes me laugh.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
ive got my ph1 up for sale. its up for a tidy price. i havent had much intrest. thinking of selling all the uprated parts and turning it to standard to sell. or just break it.

Westy. MX5
Like any other car, once it's 8 to 12 years old the value plummets. Insurance costs for younger drivers of RS Clios is more than the value of the car so it doesn't surprise me it's getting harder to sell. Dropping the price is one way to sell, if not, breaking it and selling the parts can more beneficial. I've just sold my Cup at a price that I would also get for the sum of it's parts but a lot less hassle.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
im in no rush to sell mine, so i'll leave it up for a price i want for it. if it doesn't sell when i need it gone, i'll just strip it to sell. shame really that perfectly good Renaultsports are getting broken just because of their value

Black 172
On the plus side RS's being broken means an abundance of sparesk, and fewer whole cars for sale means (slightly) higher prices.
So it's not all bad.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Same with any car you will always get people saying its not worth that when you come to sell I can buy one for blah blah blah .
These are usually the people who see a mint car up for lets say 4000 full history needs nothing doing , Would rather pay 3000 for a car with several owners a bit shabby sketchy service history, Think they have a bargain! and by the time they finish doin bits to get it running and looking right probly owes them the same money as the good one,If it does cost less you will never change the fact it has had a hard life with many owners and no history no matter how much you spend !
Minter for more cash EVERY TIME .
A Good genuine car will always be worth paying more for people just look at prices s**t ones sell for and assume thats all they will get .

clio 172 cup 2002
i just picked my new car up yesterday i paid £1700 for it 2002 clio 172 cup in trophy blue with loads of tax and mot fsh and from a garage in mint condition so yes i agree they are getting cheaper but then again they are getting older.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Yes you can pick cheap ph1's and ph2's, but there's a reason why they're cheap. They need work, simple as.

Black 172
But you can spend top money, £4k on a car and find out it needs work also.

There were a few £3,000ish 172's being sold on here when I was on the market, and when I checked the sellers history I discovered recently talk of dephaser noise, bad handling etc etc, enough to put me right off the car.

Bought one for £1400 off eBay and it's needed next to nothing doing.

172 Flamer
I have noticed in the last year that Clio 172 prices have dropped quite a bit. I bought my Ph 2 172 in flame red a year ago for £3k and it had 60k and is in pretty mint condition. About 6 - 8 months later, I noticed that the price secondhand dropped to about £2500 - £2200 and now I think I would be lucky to get £2k for it despite still being standard and in mint condition and only having 69k on the clock. I was considering selling it next year but to be honest, I might just keep it until it gets problematic or I get sick of it. Shame really as its a great car and drives like new but just simply worth nothing.