ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17s on a Mk1?

Po-LOW
can it be done and still useable?

i current have 15s and a 55mm drop and there is a chance of me getting some 17s but i need to know if they will cause any problems in the rear arches of front ones for that matter?

anyone got a non valver with 17s? cheers

1996 Valver
Think you will have probs, unless you fit valver front arches and take a grinder to the rears.

Fiesta ST
Stick with the 15s. 17s will make the handling quite poor, and of course slow the car down. You can get away with 16s but imo I wouldn't go bigger as it looks out of place. :)

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
I know people with 17's on non valvers, they're no problem.

The handling will be poor though, 15's are much better.

Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 RT
I have 17's on my RT ph3, and the front is dropped 35mm rear is pretty low, id say about 50mm because its in the arches!!

But handling is better than the standard wheels with my alloys on, and lowering it makes it handle better too obviously, massive difference!!!

But it sometimes scrubs on bumps at the rear, over bumps and that, and when i have stuff in the back (like big bags) didnt do this before i lowered it, not had any people in the back as i dont want to risk it!!!!

On the front only one of my wheels rubs which is weird, but i sorted it with my hammer and tennis ball, so no trouble really!!!

Hard braking sometimes scuff but thats because i have a 45 profile tire, will be going for a stupidly low profile, as low as pos when i need some tires!!!

I am going to raise mine at the back as its too low, and i cant use it for my journeys, but i reacon if you lowered around 35mm - 30mm on the back then you'd be laughing!!

Plus as its only a 1.4 you wont notice much of a speed difference, a bit on pick up and about 5mph id say on top end!!!

But IMO 17's look really good!!

Cheers,

Dumpy

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
I think it's a HUGE difference in acceleration and I only went from 13's to 15's.

Also top speed doesn't change, just takes years for it to get there.

dumpy said:
I have 17's on my RT ph3, and the front is dropped 35mm rear is pretty low, id say about 50mm because its in the arches!!

But handling is better than the standard wheels with my alloys on, and lowering it makes it handle better too obviously, massive difference!!!

But it sometimes scrubs on bumps at the rear, over bumps and that, and when i have stuff in the back (like big bags) didnt do this before i lowered it, not had any people in the back as i dont want to risk it!!!!

On the front only one of my wheels rubs which is weird, but i sorted it with my hammer and tennis ball, so no trouble really!!!

Hard braking sometimes scuff but thats because i have a 45 profile tire, will be going for a stupidly low profile, as low as pos when i need some tires!!!

I am going to raise mine at the back as its too low, and i cant use it for my journeys, but i reacon if you lowered around 35mm - 30mm on the back then you'd be laughing!!

Plus as its only a 1.4 you wont notice much of a speed difference, a bit on pick up and about 5mph id say on top end!!!

But IMO 17's look really good!!

Cheers,

Dumpy
Don't confuse grip with handling ;) lol :p

Po-LOW
shud have mentioned i have valver front arches already and its dropped about 70mm ob the rear

to be honest i think ill stick with 15s as iv been lookin around today at pics and 17s just dont look right

cheers for help tho guys!