ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 belt snapped

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
Cars been parked up for a year now so I think it’s time to shake a leg. I’m having the head skimmed, new belts, water pump, valves etc but with no real mechanical knowledge of cars is there anything else I should be doing when all this is going on ?

I’m getting a full service and plugs and leads but what im thinking is there any other seals or gaskets I should change.

thanks.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
If the gearbox is off you could check the crankshaft oil seals and also the thermostat housing gaskets are prone to leak. Have you looked around the sump for leaks as they can weep from overage gaskets? I changed all 3 of the above when my engine was out for a good clean up as these cars are getting old now.

I assume when it all goes back together you'll be putting new inlet manifold gaskets in?

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
If the gearbox is off you could check the crankshaft oil seals and also the thermostat housing gaskets are prone to leak. Have you looked around the sump for leaks as they can weep from overage gaskets? I changed all 3 of the above when my engine was out for a good clean up as these cars are getting old now.

I assume when it all goes back together you'll be putting new inlet manifold gaskets in?

yeah I have a bit of oil around the engine that’s really what made me think of it. I’m buying all the parts from a friend with discounts and leaving them into the mechanic so I’ll get all you mentioned. Cheers.

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
How hard did the pistons hit the valves? If its any more than a couple of light clips then I'd be wanting to pop the pistons out and check the big end bearings for flat spots/damage. You dont want to rebuild the top end to then have a flat spotted bearing pick up and ruin your engine in 200 miles time.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
How hard did the pistons hit the valves? If it’s any more than a couple of light clips then I'd be wanting to pop the pistons out and check the big end bearings for flat spots/damage. You dont want to rebuild the top end to then have a flat spotted bearing pick up and ruin your engine in 200 miles time.

That happened to me, all be it a Vauxhall engine. Top end rebuild and span a bearing within a couple of day 🤦‍♂️