ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Brake Pad upgrade

ClioSport 182
I have noticed recently that the stock Renualt brake pads on my 182, after nearly 2 years of use, are a little spongey and don't quite have the stopping power as before. There is no warning light on the panel to show that they are on their way out ... Is this normal at the end of a brake pad's life?

So I got thinking about upgrading the stock pads to some performance pads. However, forgive my stupidity, but I don't understand the difference between pads destined for "road users" and those destined for "track/race". I want to stop as quick as possible all the time, and I drive as fast as possible on roads but never do trackdays (within the limits, of course)! Could someone can explain the difference for me?

Finally, can I just upgrade the pads but leave the disc and hoses the same? or do I need to go the whole 9 yards ...

Thx,
KnightAzul

Focus ST
Have a look at the Green Pads, they are for fast road use and are useable at low temps (quite inportant first thing in the morning).

Replace the disc's if they have a serious lip on the outside edge. Get them measured at a Kwik Fit garage for free (they like most garages do free brakes checks on the hope you'll buy through them).

Might be worth looking at upgrade kits?? :cool:

...if you can afford it, go the whole 9 yards...

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
i was in a similiar situation a few weeks ago, my discs were almost completly worn after 3 years, so i decided to buy brand new front renault discs, i changed the front brake lines, i changed the brake fluid for castrol super dot 4 and i changed the front a rear pads.

Got ferrodo ds2500 front pads these are fast road/track use
and i have k-tec kevlar rear pads, i also changed all my tyres for michellin pilot exalto pe2s and my car stops on a penny.

Forget the green pads, go for the ferrrodo ds2500, they are brilliant, and yes they are suitable for road use however be warned they work better when they are warmed up!.And i would reccommend you change the brake lines as it makes a big difference

Megane225FF
Greenstuff pads have worked well for me, better than the OEM pads (more bite) & less dust too. Not recommended to be used on track so I hear.

ClioSport 182
How long are front discs supposed to last then? I wasn't counting on them being spent too! I have had my 182 for just under 2 years and have done 17,5 k miles. I was only pointing a suspecting finger at the pads. Will get the discs checked too then.

>And i would reccommend you change the brake lines as it makes a big
>difference

Just out of curiosity why would this make a big difference? Which ones did you get? (I assume that it wasn't the stock Renualt parts)

KnightAzul

Clio 172 mk2
Interested to know how long the discs are supposed to last too...my discs have a slight lip on but how large does this lip have to be before they need changing?

KnightAzul said:
How long are front discs supposed to last then? I wasn't counting on them being spent too! I have had my 182 for just under 2 years and have done 17,5 k miles. I was only pointing a suspecting finger at the pads. Will get the discs checked too then.

>And i would reccommend you change the brake lines as it makes a big
>difference

Just out of curiosity why would this make a big difference? Which ones did you get? (I assume that it wasn't the stock Renualt parts)

KnightAzul

Your discs should be fine mate, my cars 4 years old, 2002 172,although ive only done 30k, i checked the discs and they were almost worn so i replaced them, you have only 17k on your car so shouldnt need replacing, just change your pads and lines.

You want goodridge braided brake lines, during heavy braking OEM lines tend you tense up etc and dont allow free flowing of the brake fluid, braided brake lines do not bend or tense or anything and allow free flowing fluid to the brakes, so under heavy braking you do not lose braking power, it is constant and gives a much harder brake pedal.

Neil G said:
Interested to know how long the discs are supposed to last too...my discs have a slight lip on but how large does this lip have to be before they need changing?

Well the lip on the outer edge of the disc was quite significant on my discs and if i were to put the new pads on with the old discs it would groove my new pads and wreck them so i bought new ones, there cheap anyway so i recommend it.

www.gsfcarparts.co.uk, go here for cheap OEM renualt parts, 2 new fronts discs are £60.00 for a pair! 280mm vented, brembo.

ClioSport 182
Just out of interest, if I put the Green Stuff V4 pads (green) and Goodridge lines (red) on my 182 will it look like the multi-coloured swap-shop?!

Are they visible externally? (no surprises for guessing that I don't look at my wheels too often)

KnightAzul

Megane225FF
you can see the green stuff pads a little through the 172 wheels, not a lot though.. dunno about 182 wheels?
my front discs lasted about 30k-40k (I drive like a fairy) Now running Brembo discs as recommended by Fred - no complaints (IIRC roughly same price as OEM's)

ClioSport 182
thedoc said:
you can see the green stuff pads a little through the 172 wheels, not a lot though.. dunno about 182 wheels?
QUOTE]

What about Goodridge lines? Are they visible too?
Thx,

KnightAzul

The lines aren't really visible as they're behind the wheel most of the time.

Have you thought about changing the brake fluid? If it's two years old then it may have been absorbing moisture for all that time, meaning it won't perform as well.

21.8mm is the minimum allows thickness (new there 24mm) for disks.

Yoru brakes probably just need bleeding and some new (prferable new fluid used) I'm not a fan of aftermarket braks unless you've trouble with the stock setup and I'd guess you don't and when pads are £40 and don't squeek make loads of damaging brakes dust etc then I don't see any reason to change.

Usually brakes squeek when there near the end of there life best way is to take them off and check but Renault should have chedked them as part of the 12k service so that would give you an idea how thin they are now. Don't forget Renaulkt only say about 1/2 the pad is usable so when they say 50% worn they mean about 1/3 used but its best not let them wear so far down that they are on the metal backing plate.

New fluid is the best idea go for the Silkline pro response stuff £10 a liter from Halfords. Braided lines are £50 or so and help reduce stretching in the pipes.

Harder compound disk sqeek when cold and depending how far you go can have seriously damaging paint and wheel properties so you don't clean your wheels the pad dust can eat your alloys finish and given time even eat the alloys.

The pads in order of hardness is ready
Halfords own
Normal Renault
DS2500
DS300 or PF97 These are very hard they'll eat throught disk twice as quick as pads in some instances and the dust kills paint. Plus there not cheap.

For track use DS2500 is fine there a good comproomise of price better performance and the dusts not to bad.

The most important thing though is new fully bleed fluid.
the 182 wheels arn't very good for letthing the brakes cool so another very good modification is to get some better venting alloys (turini ones etc) and this will help.

You can use PF97 on road no trouble but you have to accept more compromises for track use though many people are willing to accept the problems for the benefits.

Weeman sucks ****
DS2500
Brembo Standard discs
Goodridge lines

That's it. The 182's I've been in or driven have quite different braking to the 172's...pretty crap actually.

ClioSport 182
>The most important thing though is new fully bleed fluid.

Is this and easy DIY task? I would hate to end up with a load of air bubbles in my brake line!!

What's the bog standard brake fluid which comes with the 182?

Thx,
KnightAzul

KnightAzul said:
>The most important thing though is new fully bleed fluid.

Is this and easy DIY task? I would hate to end up with a load of air bubbles in my brake line!!

What's the bog standard brake fluid which comes with the 182?

Thx,
KnightAzul
Dot 4 stuff probaly quite a cheap stuff comes to the factory most likly in un marked barrels so no idea.

Yep its a DIY job I'm writing a guide at the momnent I'll hopefully get it finished this week at work.

A garage will do it in about 40 minutes Renault charage about £40 including there own fluid.

Your unlikly to get any more but basically get a pressure bleeder (£17 from Halfords) set it up as it say on the manaul open the brakes nipples one at a time then see when the air stops comming out and you get a good constant streat of fluid and close the nipple up do this to each wheels and thats it.
(You shoudl do it in order but its no huge issue).

Racing Blue 182
can someone point me to a place i can order pads and disks for my 182, needs some asap

how much should i be lookin at for fitting?

racing182 said:
can someone point me to a place i can order pads and disks for my 182, needs some asap

how much should i be lookin at for fitting?
http://www.yozzasport.co.uk/ are very good value.

Fitment look at 1.5hrs fitment if the place works at a reasonble rate so say £35 a hour thats £60 or so but people of here will do it for less its not difficult I did mine in the car park accross the road from my house.