ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 - CAT options, what to do!

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Hi all,
So this has been an annoyance of mine for some time now and I’m undecided what way to go! So need some help. My car previously had a decat fitted into a straight pipe to back box. It’s too loud and the EML is on. I would like to run a CAT. Initially I set out to find an OEM CAT, but thanks to the scrap value that’s not going to happen. I then started looking at aftermarket options Ktec is a load of money when you consider their lack of confidence in their own product (6month warranty) I have found a used one for £170, but that’s even more of a gamble, there are other aftermarket options ranging from £70 ECP to £250 for https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142528559110

I don’t want, nor have the contacts or experience to get one made. Plus driving the car to an exhaust maker isn’t going to happen as it’s not road worthy at present. I don’t really want to spend more than about £150. Which is kind of leading me down the cheap ECP option, which I can switch out to decat between MOT, but to be honest I don’t fancy the messing around. Car isn’t a daily. I need something to fit between my Scorpion centre section and the standard manifold. What would CS.Net do?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Cheap cat and weld a flexi/flange on one end, sleeve the other end.

@dann2707 Loves his welding and might be willing to make it up for you?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
As above really, I really want a bolt in option. My new centre section has a flexy fitted to the CAT end of the section, don’t fancy hacking it up. Ideal world I would leave the CAT in place and not have to swap about. Getting something made would likely cost as much as an off the shelf system anyway wouldn’t it?

I bought an aftermarket cat from cats2u.co.uk in 2013.

70k miles & 7 years later it’s comfortably passed emissions every time at a very strict MOT tester. Fitted fine straight out the box.

Cost about £100 back then and the price has hardly changed.

P.s. buy a new OEM (costs literally a few £ more than aftermarket ones) cat fitting kit & olive clamp, old items often break on removal due to corrosion.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
The flexo on my scorpion centre lasted 2 or 3 years before it gave up and started to fall apart. At least it didn't crack the centre box like the old one did. I've just had a sports cat and flexi v banded in after pissing about with several cats come mot time.
If I were you I'd get the cats2u one and send it to Dan to get the olive and a sleeve connector welded onto it.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I bought a magnaflow 200 cell cat of ebay for £73, and a milltek decat pipe for £35 (20% discounted at the time). @dann2707 has offered to cut these up and weld them for me. I just need to pull my finger out and arrange to drop them off.

As my system is only 2.25 inch i needed a reducer too. But all in it'll be around £170.

There wasn't any options available with a sleeved 2.25 inch joint though, and i didn't want to have to use the olive connection.

In hindsight, i'd probably just buy a cheapo replacement off ebay and run my decat pipe now. As i'm not planning on using it as a daily for much longer, and with the lockdown, we're not expected in the office every day.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I bought a magnaflow 200 cell cat of ebay for £73, and a milltek decat pipe for £35 (20% discounted at the time). @dann2707 has offered to cut these up and weld them for me. I just need to pull my finger out and arrange to drop them off.

As my system is only 2.25 inch i needed a reducer too. But all in it'll be around £170.

There wasn't any options available with a sleeved 2.25 inch joint though, and i didn't want to have to use the olive connection.

In hindsight, i'd probably just buy a cheapo replacement off ebay and run my decat pipe now. As i'm not planning on using it as a daily for much longer, and with the lockdown, we're not expected in the office every day.
I'm around this weekend if you want to drop it off dude

So there are 2 options available through CATS2U

I have the first one. Used it on a 54 plate 182 with a standard Renault exhaust, an original resonated Scorpion and the later flexi centre section resonated Scorpion RS192.

The cat was fine, it’s everything behind it (heavy centre section without much support, a flexi to let it droop even more, backbox mounts which are either made of OEM cheese or aftermarket concrete which probably contributes to all these cracked welds) which is the problem IMO.

Actually recently did a flange weld job for @Steven103

Speaking of which...

999C408E-853A-4189-AF6E-B07A54470DD3.jpeg

I wanted to fit a 172 exhaust which has a different length centre & a flange:

B4DC3809-19A8-4480-A592-12B9AE729A38.jpeg

Which is too long and obviously not compatible with the olive joint:

D984D3EA-0CF7-496A-BDA4-B25ABADF9B90.jpeg

Chopped olive joint off, bought one of these in a custom size (not the size shown):

68DB1752-2E38-4FDA-BF28-0DA6AD746FD2.jpeg

Slides down the inside of the cat so ensures it’s on straight, and welded by @dann2707

073AD85D-B750-4006-A553-CA3334E34129.jpeg

Then that slides into the centre section which was cut to length at a dodgy angle, slotted then clamped.

F8F20D43-46B4-4517-9811-AC58ED1FCB38.jpeg

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Maybe Dan could set up a sideline making 182 Cats...most of the OEM ones are getting on nowadays, plus aftermarket off shelf solutions are either expensive or s**t it would seem

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for that! So I think ill order the cheaper of the two CATS then, fit to the car for the time being, whilst I sort out the rest of the s**t! Then once I’m happy and car has passed MOT etc reach out to @dann2707 and get him to do the above for me.