ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Loss of Power

I have experienced a lot of juddering and loss of power occasionally when first started, this morning i was trying to pull away and go up a hill and i lost power all together, i could put my foot down on the accelerator and nothing happened, it was like something was holding it back, i would change back down to first and still could not get enough power to up the hill, the revs would drop and the speed would drop but nothing would happen when you pressed the accelerator. all of a sudden the power would come back and you would be fine, it happened three times this morning. Any one have any ideas what this could be?

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I get it sometimes, its like a cold start stutter.

Not sure why, but it happens so rarely that I know if I ask the dealer, they will just report "no fault found".

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

sounds like how my 172 was performing, no power, shuddering and flat spots.

I had to replace a sheared top engine mount and a gearbox bolt (nut) was missing.

If its intermittant, then I dunno

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Think all do it but that sounds worse than it should be.

I think it has somehing to do with emissions when cold. I start mine in a morning a leave it running for approx 2 minutes before setting off and its spot on.

Yes i get it on cold sometimes, juddering but this time it actually didnt have enough power to go any where, there was no response from the accelerator and it drop to nearly 5mph wouldnt let you do anymore.

have the same prob but only on a cold night so it would seem ur baby dont wanna be ragged before fully warming up mine only does it when i push it hard in the morning

fat 182

run your car on optimax or ulitima and let it run for a miniute before you you pull off

ive found this stops all the judering and lumpyness in the morning

its been very cold the last few days aswell

Quickshift - Does yours lose all its power though, i was practically rolling back down the hill. I dont really rev the engine hard in the mornings, i was probably only doing about 30mph up the hill, not even reving at 2000 revs i wouldnt have thought.

Ive had this before swicthing to Optimax from regular super unleaded. Not had it all since switching to Optimax.

I still have a failry lumpy tickover, but not had any more cold juddering.

Saying that, the juddering/power loss was never as severe as it seems in this case.

silly question but u lot love shell optimax dont ya im affriad in london there are only bp everywhere and not many shell garages

rs it dont fully lose power no i suggest u get on the blower to our good friends at reno or ask one of the clever boys in here

BMW 120i Sport

I have poor juddering on a cold morning almost to the point of no power when hitting the throttle. I need to let it tick over for a minute or so to prevent it, then i might give it some stick to 4000 rpm and everything is fine after about a minute. Id imagine if i did drive away after just turning the engine on and I tried to get up a hill that the juddering would be really bad (similar to yourself).

My old Fez was the same when cold, the throttle used to do nothing until you floored it then it would jump and go.

Again, after a couple of minutes of running all was well.

Does your temp gauge give wrong wreads ie the gauge does up and down at the same time if so sound like the temp sensor has gone. (common problem).

If not possibly the coils have gone or TDC sensor.

I had this on my 172 for the first 4 or 5k, now its done 10k and its fine. No juddering at all. Maybe the engine has freed up alot on mine

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 14 February 2005

Does your temp gauge give wrong wreads ie the gauge does up and down at the same time if so sound like the temp sensor has gone. (common problem).

If not possibly the coils have gone or TDC sensor.
this is very similair to my problem.... mine happened even when 182 was warm... temp sensor would go all over the place.. this got replaced after i was going up the m11 when the temp sensor went to zero total loss of power/aceleration and black smoke out the back of the 182.... not happy

few weeks later temp sensor was still on the blink and i had an oxygen sensor replaced...

then last week was accelerating onto the slip road to the A14 when the car refused to accelelerate and yet again temp gauge was all over the shop

my 182 went into renault on tuesday last week.. couldnt find the fault.. drove it home tues night temp sensor went mad.. went back and a technician came out with me to witness the fault.

car went in again on thursday and i got it back today after they have failed to find a fault on their computer they hitch up to it..

although they have checked out some earthings on the electrics which they think is the problem... i will wait and see...

i wont get into the fact that the dealer asked me if it was ok for a technician to take my car home for the weekend to try and find the fault.... me thinks some technician had a rather good wkend ragging the f*ck out of my car...

very tempted to get a CTR after this shambles....:mad:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

RS182 i feel for ya matey, sounds similar prob - any temp sensor probs?

BMW 120i Sport

Seb,

Ive had this happen to my 182 and its happened to a couple of people on here - faulty coolant temperature sensor (hence the temp gauge going everywhere). The car gets flooded with fuel and it eventually dies.

172 cup TT

As edde said - my bets with the Top Dead Center sensor gone... i had these problems and this fixed it... its ridiculous to think you cant drive up a hill because its cold

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

^^^^^^^^ yeah i hear what your saying... i have had the temperature sensor changed, the oxygen sensor changed and the earth connections on the electrics checked out which, for the moment has seemed to sort it out....

give it a few weeks though.

i am very fed up though.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

^^^^^^^^^

lol i am very tempted - renault great car crapily built....

Hmmmm I just had this problem...

The car was well warmed up and I was ragging it down some lanes (private road of course) when suddenly the power just died on me...like hitting a wall. A few seconds later eveything was normal again.

I came to a dual carriageway and booted it...snaps it into 3rd and brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......not much power...then Br brrrrrrrr...total loss of power. Then a few seconds later it was back to normal. I didnt notice the temp gauge, but Ill certainly look if it happens again.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 25 February 2005

Hmmmm I just had this problem...

The car was well warmed up and I was ragging it down some lanes (private road of course) when suddenly the power just died on me...like hitting a wall. A few seconds later eveything was normal again.

I came to a dual carriageway and booted it...snaps it into 3rd and brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......not much power...then Br brrrrrrrr...total loss of power. Then a few seconds later it was back to normal. I didnt notice the temp gauge, but Ill certainly look if it happens again.

eactly my prob - mine seems to be fixed now after it has been in countless times - it is a bit worrying when the car wont accelearate and your on the slip road.... get it checked out ASAP!!!!