ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Misfire/Low RPM Stutter

182 Trophy
Hi All,

About a week ago now I've noticed the Clio's developed a low RPM stutter and throwing a P0300 random misfire code (flashing EL).

Parts replaced in the last 12 months:
- 12 months ago: 4x brand new Magneti Marelli injectors
- 600 miles ago:
- 4x NGK R spark plugs
- air filter

Symptoms:
- stutter below 2000rpm in every gear, pulls hard and runs perfectly fine above this
- no additional fuel consumption
- I did remove the intake manifold/plenum and recheck all the connections/leads to the coil pack + spark plugs and it ran fine for a bit and started stuttering again.
- (not sure if symptom) exhaust is a little sooty so could be the precat LAMDA? pretty sure these are still the original LAMBDA (119.5K miles now)

Any ideas? Thanks!

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
If the exhaust is a bit sooty and black then it might be worth getting it in an emissions machine to see what's up. As above I'd suspect the pre cat lambda failing and it's running a bit rich.

182 Trophy
so swapped in a new bosch pre-cat lambda (did a major belt + dephaser service at the same time), drove very well for a while. The very slight stutter has come back. Thinking HT leads or coilpack? Any pointers would be appreciated!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
so swapped in a new bosch pre-cat lambda (did a major belt + dephaser service at the same time), drove very well for a while. The very slight stutter has come back. Thinking HT leads or coilpack? Any pointers would be appreciated!
I had a 172 years ago and it developed a stutter like yours. If I remember rightly it was up to about 2500 revs then above that it would be fine. It was the spark plugs. Changed them and it was fine after that.
So yeah "could" be HT leads or coilpack as you've already changed your plugs.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Mine had a similar issue, in the end it turned out to be one of the HT leads, but there was also signs that I had at somepoint got a load of water down plug holes so top of plugs were very canky.

New plugs and HT lead set and the car was back to normal.