ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Outer CV boot size? Universal recommendation?

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
I always keep a spare one of these in my tool box

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Haven’t many on here said the JR ones are trash that come on their driveshafts and swap them out before fitting for a universal one?

I’m interested in what many are running as I had a new shaft fitted and the boot didn’t last long on that either.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I fitted a J&R boot on the offside around 2-3 years ago, then another in 2019 on the nearside. Be sure to cut off one rib from the large side and it'll be spot on.

No idea how people have problems with them other than incorrect fitment! I use jubilee clips to hold them on.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Haven’t many on here said the JR ones are trash that come on their driveshafts and swap them out before fitting for a universal one?

I’m interested in what many are running as I had a new shaft fitted and the boot didn’t last long on that either.
Pretty sure this is down to the inside CV hitting the block on the jr shafts?

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Pretty sure this is down to the inside CV hitting the block on the jr shafts?
Mine isn't a JR shaft but it isn't a genuine shaft so I'm guessing this is a common issue with non-OEM shafts. I can't say if mine has fouled the block as this seems to be right on the cusp just behind the CV clamp but it is a job I need to do and take that tab off the blocks as I always thought it sits rather close to a moving part.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Same as @Louis, I replaced mine years ago with a stretchy boy. First one split as the ribs were rubbing in each other. Cut a rib off the bigger end to make sure it stretched abit more and didn't rub on itself and its been fine and dandy ever since.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I picked up two universal types from ECP yesterday. Hopefully one will work for long enough to get an MOT 🤦‍♂️

I've had the hubs on and off so much recently Im getting quite good at it and I didn't fit the CV joint spring clips so know the joint will just pull off fine (obviously now I've said it etc....).

Thanks for advice all, I'll buy some spares online for when my universal fails. Do Renault still do them?

Rob

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Sounds like that is what has happened to mine. Do you guys use one of those cones to stretch it over the CV or do you take it apart to fit?

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
So I’d need to cut along this red line for it to fit correctly and not foul on the engine block tab

Attachments

• 4FEDD6EB-ABFE-4ED1-9364-9F51B8607CC8.jpeg
    4FEDD6EB-ABFE-4ED1-9364-9F51B8607CC8.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 111

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So I’d need to cut along this red line for it to fit correctly and not foul on the engine block tab
If your inside boot failed it's been rubbing on tbe block tab. Block tab needs cutting off, the cutting a rib is only for the outer cv

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I fitted a J&R boot on the offside around 2-3 years ago, then another in 2019 on the nearside. Be sure to cut off one rib from the large side and it'll be spot on.

No idea how people have problems with them other than incorrect fitment! I use jubilee clips to hold them on.
Well, now I am confused? 👆

Outside CV to me is the boot at the end of the driveshaft where the ABS ring would be going into the hub.

So it is my drivers side that has split and has a very small nick just behind the metal clamp of the fat end.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Well, now I am confused? 👆

Outside CV to me is the boot at the end of the driveshaft where the ABS ring would be going into the hub.

So it is my drivers side that has split and has a very small nick just behind the metal clamp of the fat end.
Youd never said which boot mate, I'd just said on the JR it usually splits inner boots.

For the outside cutting off a rib would be fine.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Youd never said which boot mate, I'd just said on the JR it usually splits inner boots.

For the outside cutting off a rib would be fine.
Along the red line in the pic I posted?

I need to take the tab down on the engine regardless because I've always thought it looks rather close to moving parts