ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 owners.....

Subaru 330s
Has anybody else who owns a 182 had to have a new gearbox fitted or know anyone who has? Just interested to see how many others have, as I am pretty annoyed that my 05 182 has had to have a new gearbox and clutch fitted this week.

Cheers
Lora
smile.gif

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
LOL. You probably just got a shite one :) Mines an 04 plate and the box still feels 'tight' (Yes, even for a clio!)... Fletchers 172 is also on 111k IIRC? And he is still on the original box + clutch... Yours must have been raped during its lifetime.

182 has now gone!
Mines an 04 as well, and all seems to be ok (fingers crossed!)
Boyfriends 172 cup is a 52 plate and thats still going strong!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Like any car really, even a new vw could have a gearbox problem within the first few years.

Mine is spot on, as for the clutch, well they were all heavy and high when i was shopping around so i lost interest in making sure it had a good clutch, and if it goes then it goes.

Hero Spec Nimbus 200
Has anybody else who owns a 182 had to have a new gearbox fitted or know anyone who has? Just interested to see how many others have, as I am pretty annoyed that my 05 182 has had to have a new gearbox and clutch fitted this week.

Cheers
Lora
smile.gif

Yeah i've known of a few jc5 boxes to go, not uncommon unfortunatly. Two lads at work have both had their jc5's go. One in a 172cup and one in a 1.5dci. The one in the cup put a hole in the side of the box and the dci one has spat the diff circlip off twice.

So luck of the draw really. Where you having your new box fitted?

Subaru 330s
Nowt wrong with my clutch, just makes sense to put a new one in while they are doing the box.
Just wanted to see how common it was really as it's a bit dissapointing have a fairly youngish car with low miles have such a problem....it's just my luck really lol.

Four Ashes Renault have done it for me, will pick it up off them tomorrow morning, they've done me a great price and quick job too, car got towed up there on Sunday night and they got to work on it on Tuesday, it was all ready by this afternoon, so im happy!

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My £28,000 brand spanking new Audi that has only covered 6000 miles has a gearbox whine. Apparently quite common for them to go pop. Whinings getting louder so i'm expecting it any day tbh!!

All cars have issues, nothing to get annoyed about really.

Clutches should last ages and ages in these cars; big engine small car so should last over 100k unless you a poor with the clutch or it breaks for some reason that's not through normal wear.

DMS

A thirsty 172
My 172 has done 79,000 miles and is still on the original gearbox. It was also on the original clutch until a week or two ago, but it was only the necessity to fit an uprated one that meant it had to be changed. And it gets caned everywhere.

The clutches are generally very good in these cars - they're usually one of the longer lasting parts. Gearboxes are hit and miss though unfortunately. A lot of people on here have chewed through them like there's no tomorrow, and a lot of people have never had it go wrong once.

Unless you buy an absolute dog of a car, it's luck of the draw really.