ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch slipping intermittently

Clio 182 cup
ADVICE NEEDED just brought a lovely 182 cup and it’s literally just had a new clutch full service and reconditioned gear box put in it and 2 days in to my ownership clutch is slipping but only now and then and was fine for the first 200 miles😅 options so far from the garage that fitted it are -

1. Clutch kit could be faulty but they haven’t had any problems with them before
2. Oil seal has failed on gearbox and soaked clutch plates
3. Cable getting stuck - I’ve checked and cleaned it and all seems perfectly free and fine to me.

I can’t take it back to the garage that fitted it as they are 200miles away.

Any ideas help would be much appreciated I’m happy to just put a new better clutch in but at £750 fitted I don’t want to do this if it’s not that or could be something else.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Know what brand clutch they put in? Not had one fitted myself, but I'm sure I've read on here about issues with certain clutch brands, not sure if that's common though.

Clio 182 cup
I don’t I’m just waiting to find out the person I purchased it from is asking the Renault mechanic he took it too

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
ADVICE NEEDED just brought a lovely 182 cup and it’s literally just had a new clutch full service and reconditioned gear box put in it and 2 days in to my ownership clutch is slipping but only now and then and was fine for the first 200 miles😅 options so far from the garage that fitted it are -

1. Clutch kit could be faulty but they haven’t had any problems with them before
2. Oil seal has failed on gearbox and soaked clutch plates
3. Cable getting stuck - I’ve checked and cleaned it and all seems perfectly free and fine to me.

I can’t take it back to the garage that fitted it as they are 200miles away.

Any ideas help would be much appreciated I’m happy to just put a new better clutch in but at £750 fitted I don’t want to do this if it’s not that or could be something else.
Looking at no.2, have you checked under car to see if you’ve got oil leaks?

I’ve seen LUK clutches go but they tend to be under a lot of stress I.e Trackdays/Racing.

I appreciate it’s a long way to go back to the garage, but if it was me that’s what I’d do. Let them sort it out.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Looking at no.2, have you checked under car to see if you’ve got oil leaks?

I’ve seen LUK clutches go but they tend to be under a lot of stress I.e Trackdays/Racing.

I appreciate it’s a long way to go back to the garage, but if it was me that’s what I’d do. Let them sort it out.
He didn’t pay for the clutch though.

Clio 182 cup
Found it is a valeo clutch that’s gone in it so the only thing now I can think of is the clutch was either faulty from day one and this was always going to happen or a seal on gearbox has gone and pissed fluid on the clutch plates.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
id say its most likely to be oil leaking onto the clutch, but its always going to be guess work until the box is off.

reading between the lines it looks like you have just bought the car and its previously had this work done recently? - If the seller and garage who done the work are decent enough to help then id be driving it 200 miles, leaving it and collecting when its fixed. but realistically its probably going to be easier to have it rectified locally at someone you know/trust and just put it down to bad luck.

Clio 182 cup
That’s it I agree I think it’s bad luck and have thought about taking it back but the job would need to be spread over 2 days so by the time I’ve got a hotel, fuel etc etc it’s just not worth the faff at least if it’s done here I trust the work and any issues easy to get sorted after.

I think same as you it’s oil spraying on the clutch only logical explanation with out taking box off but I will update the thread once box is out Wednesday as may help others