ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 problems . . .

Polo Gti . . 1.8 20v T
i bought my 182 a week ago wednesday and foolishly i rushed a bit, i bought from a local garage and when i asked about the service histor i was told it was full. i actually mentioned this 3 times and was told every time it was full.

now since having the car i've noticed the following faults:

when idleing its awfuly loud and almost sounds like a diesel,

the service light and air bag light are on (i know its only its a sensor but shouldnt have been sold like this and really speaking could be classed as unroad worthy)

when on hills the "stop" light and the handbrake light light up, flicker a bit then go off, again, could be classed as unroad worthy,

on full lock to the right there's a sound coming from the right of the car, almost like the tyres catching the arch, i has it checked and there's plenty of room so i was told it could be the cv joint?

and to top i all off i checked the service book after picking it up and it was seviced once at 15k in 2005 and once at 53k last week, which means the al important belts haven't been changed and the description "full service history" was a blatant lie!

now i'm thinking under the sale of goods i'm entitled to a full refund or a replacemant car, would this be a reasonable request or is it my fault for not checking these things thoroughly? bearing in mind i've had the car 5 days!

help!!!

RENAULT CLIO SPORT 182
take it back mate and tell them too sort the problems out free of charge or you want your money back

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Theyre not going to want to change the belts f.o.c though. Who did the servicing, Renault??

Although it is classed as a 5yr service for cam & aux belt.

The aux belt should have been changed at 36k anyway, if that goes, you're in trouble. IIRC I've been told the aux belt snapping could take out the cambelt and susbsequent damage that a snapping cambelt could cause.:(

Take it back and tell them its a bag of sh!t and they mis-sold it you with the history and you want your money back.

Seriously, when you sell it, a potential buyer is gonna question the fact that it didnt have a service in 40k miles!!

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
"when on hills the "stop" light and the handbrake light light up, flicker a bit then go off, again, could be classed as unroad worthy"

This could be your brake fluid level, just top it up.

"when on hills the "stop" light and the handbrake light light up, flicker a bit then go off, again, could be classed as unroad worthy"

Surly this may be true and you may need to seek further help, but first take the car back and tell them.
Giving them the opertunity to repair the car..

ALSO KEEP ANY PAPER WORK AND NOTE PHONE CALLS, may help your case.

Good Luck

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Personally i wouldnt touch that car with a barge pole. Its not been looked after according to its history by any of the previous owners. Belts change cost 500 pounds, the noise could be costly too depending on what it is, the stop light and handbrake light is probably lack of brake fluid, which says the person who "serviced" that car didnt even look/check brakes/fluids.

The airbag and serv light is any easy fix, but this should of been done on the service too.

Lets face it, would you trust them to service the car again and do the all important belt change if they cant even check and fix the simple issue prior to the sale?

REFUND batman

Shhh
when idleing its awfuly loud and almost sounds like a diesel,

[red]hydraulic tappets need changing..[/red]

the service light and air bag light are on (i know its only its a sensor but shouldnt have been sold like this and really speaking could be classed as unroad worthy)

[red]wires under drivers & passenger seat needs soldering..[/red]

when on hills the "stop" light and the handbrake light light up, flicker a bit then go off, again, could be classed as unroad worthy,

[red]brake fluid level low..[/red]

on full lock to the right there's a sound coming from the right of the car, almost like the tyres catching the arch, i has it checked and there's plenty of room so i was told it could be the cv joint?

[red]if its in reverse, sounds like the usual top strut knock..[/red]

and to top i all off i checked the service book after picking it up and it was seviced once at 15k in 2005 and once at 53k last week, which means the al important belts haven't been changed and the description "full service history" was a blatant lie!

[red]sounds to me like you dont want the car now..[/red]

Polo Gti . . 1.8 20v T
well i've been to renault to get he car checked, they said the idle problem is due to a part (i cant remember the name) that controls the rev's, he said it controls the 5k kick ou get but it's come a bit loose and on tick over the oil pressure drops causing a rattle.

the brake and handbrake light are on due to the pads being low all round and using more brake fluid, so it's now low on fluid!

the noise when the car is on full lock is the struts which the guy in renault told me was a common fault and renault will actually fix this free of charge.

the garage has agreed to put all these faults right so i'm thinking maybe its worth letting them do it?

as far as the service history goes the garage i had the car from seems to think the last owner has a folder of receipts for the bits done and he said he'll get hold of this for me, they also said while the engine is stripped to do the nssicary work all belts and pulleys will be changed.

should i accept this?

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
So they are fixing everything that you found wrong with the car?

Does this include a Full Service free of charge?

If so result. IMO

How much did you pay, if not to cheeky?

Polo Gti . . 1.8 20v T
im not too sure on the service, my dad's speaking to a solicitor in the morning to find out exactly where i stand and we're gunna go sort out the details tomorrow evening! but yeah the faults i've found the garage have said they'll sort for me under the warranty so not too bad! i paik 7k mate, didnt seem a bad price to me, they seem to go for around this and sometimes over?

White clique
find out if this garage serviced the car during the period that these reciepts supposedly exist for, and see if they can arange for the service log book to be amended accordingly because its going to be a b**ch to sell on otherwise.

Polo Gti . . 1.8 20v T
yeah i'm gunna have a good look through the receipts, see whats what but i doubt it woulda been serviced by the garage im buying it from! the guy in renault said the engine itself seems sound so i think worst case scenario will be i just get the receipts and service it as if its half a million pounds worth of super car! at least then i know that as long as i've had it it hasnt wanted for anything! but we'll see what the solicitor says first

find out if this garage serviced the car during the period that these reciepts supposedly exist for, and see if they can arange for the service log book to be amended accordingly because its going to be a b**ch to sell on otherwise.
+1

I can't stand people/garages who claim that paperwork can/will be sent on. If it's not there when I look at the car, or they can't get me it before I pay in full i'm off. I won't buy it.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
£7k would be a very good 182 in the current market. Which it doesn't sound like this one is to be fair. The brake fluid could also mean the rear discs/pads are shot. The noise from the right could be lots of stuff. The airbag light is probably a sensor, but it might not be - and with that light on it's an MOT fail anyway. Ditto the handbrake. 2 services in what, 5 years I guess isn't 'full' history by anyones stretch. 2 years or 12k is the interval isn't it? So, that would mean it should have quite a bit more than it has... At least 4 stamps, including the aux belt at 36k - which is obviously hasn't had.

Yup, I'd be pressing for a refund, it'll be impossible to sell on privately for anything like £7k, and it could be about to cost you a big wedge if you keep it and get it fixed. And it also really obviously hasn't been looked after - if it's done 3 years and 38k without an oil change... Well...

Dan