ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 rear brake pipes NLA, any other Renaults make a good substitute?

I don't like the accepted practice of replacing the rear axle hardlines with 3 feet of braided flexi.

Is there an alternative that someone has worked out fits from another twist beam axled Renault with disc brakes? There surely can't be that much variation between them.

Why don't you like braided lines?
Because braided line are softer than hardline. They're at a higher risk of moving into the path of something that will damage them.

There's also other long term things like you can't tell how deteriorated the rubber is under the steel braid.

And personally I've just replaced the NSR with standard Renault, so I don't want to replace it again.

197 pipes look like they could be persuaded to fit, but we'll find out.

Last edited:
Can make some up with solid line easy enough, but it won't look great unless you can get the pipe properly straight.

Braided lines are PTFE lined not rubber, so won't deteriorate.
Wobbly braided lines zip tied to the axle look great?

Braided brake hoses fail plenty, but you are unable to inspect them properly to prevent it.

Yes I can make a pipe with an aftermarket hose, but I specifically wondered if another set up that was still available from Renault would fit.

I'll look at getting a 197 OSR pipe to see if it can be made to fit.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Because braided line are softer than hardline. They're at a higher risk of moving into the path of something that will damage them.

There's also other long term things like you can't tell how deteriorated the rubber is under the steel braid.

And personally I've just replaced the NSR with standard Renault, so I don't want to replace it again.

197 pipes look like they could be persuaded to fit, but we'll find out.
Braided lines can clip into the exact same position as the regular hard lines. I thought concern would be around pedal feel more than anything else.

If they're clipped securely you'll get no chance of them moving.

Cars at an age where all the hardlines will need replacing. Check the ones from your ABS pump to the front lines. Bet they're blistered as f**k behind the arch liners.

Have you used braided lines before?

Braided lines can clip into the exact same position as the regular hard lines. I thought concern would be around pedal feel more than anything else.

If they're clipped securely you'll get no chance of them moving.

Cars at an age where all the hardlines will need replacing. Check the ones from your ABS pump to the front lines. Bet they're blistered as f**k behind the arch liners.

Have you used braided lines before?
You probably want to use more than just the hardline clips to hold your braided hose.

You can decide that based on the condition of the hard lines. Checked mine when I had the gearbox out.

What are you suggesting? My Clio actually runs braided hoses.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I noticed absolutely zero difference when switching to a rear braided setup.. nothing.

I understand the ideas behind braided not being as stiff as hardlines but in the application there is nothing in it.

Want hard lines. Just make some up?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Absolutely no issues with mine, I'm less concerned about the sub 5 year old braided rear lines than I am the rest of the 25yr old system that I can't inspect.

Just make your own ones, or get some better condition ones from a scrappy If you can find some, nothing odd the shelf will fit without bastardised anyway, including 197

@aldo_87 made a really nice job with new clips etc on his

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Get some hardline pipe and make some up, it's not difficult.

I did away with abs on my Ph1 and ran all new hard lines from the master cylinder to all four wheels.

P.S there's nothing wrong with braided either.