ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 steering issue

Clio 182
I've owned a 182 (non-cup 05 plate) for ~ 1 week now and it's been largely great so far!

Having the full cambelt/aux belt kit fitted by RenTech in Portsmouth next week, as at the last belt change in 2011 the dephaser wasn't changed, but I'm also getting the tracking adjusted.

Essentially, the car pulls slightly to the left on a straight road, and the steering seems to twitch left/right noticeably on braking and every now and again when driving normally even on a flat surface. I checked the tyre pressures and the fronts were at 25 psi, the right rear at 29, and the left rear was at 16! Set the tyres to 33/30 front/back and the drive has improved however the overall steering jerk is still prominent.

The alloys have also been scuffed quite badly, so is it possible that it has been kerbed which has put the tracking out quite a bit? The last MOT showed no issues with shocks/coils or brakes so I'm doubting that it is a suspension or braking issue. Also the front tyres are 8 months old and the rears have a good amount of tread on them, but it's extremely odd that the back left was so lowly pressurised.

Thanks for any suggestions

CursedTitanium 182FF
Get the tracking done and see if it throws up any odd readings, then go from there.
Have RenTech take a look at the front end whilst you are there to see if there is any play in the bushes and steering rack.

Clio 182
Tracking was off, and track rod end needed replacing. With that and the full belt kit change it runs like a dream now (previous timer belt apparently had been poorly fitted), cheers RenTech!