ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 stiff gear stick in neutral

Clio 182, bmw m240i
Hi.
When the car is cold or does medium to short drives it’s fine. It on long drives and especially with the recent warm weather the gear stick is stiff in neutral and doesn’t return to the middle position.

Attachments

• IMG_5715.MOV
    15.2 MB
  monaco 172
I bet it's the shifter ball in the shifter housing.

Disconnect the linkage and check that it's not actually the gearbox selector been stiff, which I highly doubt, but worth checking.

Maybe time to upgrade to a taboo stiff shift or a PM's shifter?

Clio 182, bmw m240i
I bet it's the shifter ball in the shifter housing.

Disconnect the linkage and check that it's not actually the gearbox selector been stiff, which I highly doubt, but worth checking.

Maybe time to upgrade to a taboo stiff shift or a PM's shifter?
Who would I contact to buy these products. I’ve only had the car 2 weeks

monaco 172
Meant to say yanoo stiff shift, he's a member on here called yanoo.

Pure Motorsport is the best shifter money can buy, it's a bit raw, but well worth it, can be bought from pure Motorsport. It's a full shifter from the gearbox to your hand.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Get under the car and check that the spring is in place on the selector. In top of the below photo.

1597572739082.png

monaco 172
That spring won't cause the lever to go stiff, I removed it on my last 172 as it broke, all it did was make the shifter not spring back to central as quickly in neutral.

The ops video looks clearly seized to me

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
That spring won't cause the lever to go stiff, I removed it on my last 172 as it broke, all it did was make the shifter not spring back to central as quickly in neutral.

The ops video looks clearly seized to me
If running a standard plastic ball there's no reason for it to seize up. On the BMS and other similar shifters the standard ball is stiffened up and it still centres fine.

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Mine did this when I bought it, moving the shifter side to side was stiff and sometimes squeaked, especially when hot.

I took apart the shifter linkage at the gearbox end, removing the linkage pictured at the top of the image below.

Gear-Lever-Linkage-Rod-Repair-Kit-Renault-19.jpg

One end of it attaches into the little white bushing on the gearbox, pictured (disassembled) in Louis' picture. The other end attaches to the selector on the gearbox under a rubber boot.

Remove this rubber boot (which will probably split, rpd sell them) and clean out and regrease the interfaces between the linkage and the gearbox/selector. Might as well install the new white bushing while you're there.

This solved the problem for me, now the shifter is always nice and free. If you don't have an undertray, get one installed just to help keep extra crap out of the shift linkage.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk