ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Trophy on the Bay

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  LY 200 EDC
Tempted to go and have a look at this Trophy, advert looks well presented. What are the chances of sourcing a set of original Sachs dampers all round? With a bit of tlc over time it could be a half decent Clio.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sachs come up mate but not sure if want to go down that route if it were me anyway.

Sachs were a good damper at time of release but they’re certainly not the last word in dampers these days.
They’re expensive to source, expensive to service and have a very sporadic life cycle. Some last 5k miles, some last 50k miles. They can be modified to be adjustable in rebound but they’re still fixed perch so non height adjustable.
As for the rears, most of the Trophy owners now just fit standard Cup rear dampers and have them painted grey and fit repro decals. I think there’s almost zero difference between them anyway.

Personally if buying a Trophy like that, I’d have a set of custom ASTs built which like mine which will allow you to set your own ride heights and still have plenty of compliance and travel. Parts are easy to source and the dampers are strong and reliable. Nothing to stop you hunting for some Sachs in the meantime if you really wanted.

Just my thoughts

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re paying £3k for the car and £3k for the red paint and numbered plaque.
I can understandably see the attraction of a Trophy but personally I think you either buy a minter and swallow the £10k-£15k that’s going to get you in one. Or you spend £6k on a mint 182 or much nicer 172 Cup and enjoy it. As we all know, the Clios are getting older and more difficult to find in decent condition so miles means nothing on a non special one.
However even if you were to buy this for £6k and do a £20k nut/bolt restoration, you’ll be waiting a bloody long time before someone will part with £26k for a Trophy with 150k on it no matter now mint it is.
The guys paying top dollar for Trophy’s are doing so on low miles ornaments. So to drop £6k into this over any other 182, I think you have to REALLY want a Trophy and be prepared to fix whatever it needs knowing full well, you’re not going to turn a profit/break even on it for at least 10 years buy time you’ve put it all straight and replaced all that needs replacing.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Personally you have to run the sachs on a trophy otherwise its basically a red 182

I wouldn't spend £6k on that without the dampers. You could be over £7k by time sourced/refurbed etc which is alot for a 153k 182 imo

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  LY 200 EDC
After reading everyone's comments and thinking more about it I'll give it a miss. 6k outlay, I don't know say at £6-1000+ to buy and potentially refurbish Sachs dampers. Then say another 1k on bodywork refresh it's a fair whack of money on something with 150+k miles. There's bound to be more money needed throwing at it on other areas.

I'm in no rush to come back into another car let alone a Renaultsport.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  LY 200 EDC
^ Echo the above. At maybe £3500 it’s a good buy. Mileage kills any potential as a collectors car.
It was just as much the Trophy experience and maybe not losing any coin on it but as mentioned if it doesn't have the Sachs then that's the experience of the drive out the window straight away.