ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 turbo info

e46 M3
Hi all,

Ive been signed up for a while but havent posted much and read a little here and there.

Im selling my E92 M3 Comp Pack to free up cash and after that I still would like a little toy for some fun and a 182 is on the shortlist but I think I will miss the power too much of past cars so that brought me onto a 182 Turbo conversion.

Are they readily available? Only seen 1 or 2 for sale circa 230bhp.

Whats the max power and torque on standard internals?

I would like even a little more power if possible.

Also do these cars come with any form of diff?

Many thanks.

P.S Any for sale I will be interested after lockdown is over.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Hello mate let me get in before the ‘don’t do it bunch’ do!

I have a clio 182 turbo that has been turbo charged by myself for 6 years.. it stated life as a low boost turbo with 245bhp and 230lbft torque and it’s been great. You won’t find many decent converted ones about as they tend to be slapped together then the owners complain when something goes wrong.

This then turns into ALL TURBO CLIO 182’s are s**t!! [emoji23][emoji23]

Mine is now 282bhp with 260lbft and have done many many trips to the Nürburgring and spa and it’s awesome!! I have a lot of supporting mods and learned bits along the way but absolutely love it.

Internals will happily take the 245bhp and the gearbox will be good as long as you have some sympathy for it, as in don’t dump the clutch off the line or wheelspin for fun etc. No LSD as standard

Any questions please message me or check out my build thread [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e46 M3
Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply.
So if you have been on track its been tested.....how reliable? What sort of mileage have you done since going turbo?

That would be the sort of power id like ideally.......
Did you have to have forged internals then also?

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Initially I run it on standard internals with a thick MLS head gasket (Megane one) just to lower the compression a tad.. it was like this for 5 years and has zero issues with engine reliability.

Issues had were turbo gasket blowing (common) and a crack in my downpipe.. I now have a thinker walled down pipe which was always braced from day 1 and to combat the gasket blowing I braved the turbo too.

I’m now running Megane 3 RS 265 pistons and rods with lower comp, inconel valves, ACL bearings etc etc etc. Which was when I had it mapped for 282bhp (limited by injector duty) and did spa and ring again last year with zero issues and it was so good at that power level against some serious kit!!

I have since upgraded the turbo to a gtx2860r gen 2 turbo and that feels awesome, yet to be mapped properly but will be using 630cc injectors to have a play with. I’m never fussed about getting the most power I can just getting it as linear as possible and safe!

Yeah as said, to find decent ones which are built properly will be hard. Most are cheap builds from what I've seen. To do it properly, using the best parts possible as well as refreshing or upgrading everything needed isn't cheap. For a road car it's less of a problem but for a track car it needs to be done properly.

If you stick to low boost and look after it you shouldn't have anymore issues than standard really. If you wheelspin in mcdonalds and smash the clutch then things will break.

We had a gasket blow out on one of our cars recently, so are replacing them on both cars for OE Nissan items to hopefully stop this happening again. We have GT2560Rs on both our cars. Standard turbo on a JDM Nissan S15 Spec R.

Both cars are around 240bhp with 220 ft lbs. They are both extremely high spec all rounders so they feel incredible to drive with the extra grunt.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah as said, to find decent ones which are built properly will be hard. Most are cheap builds from what I've seen. To do it properly, using the best parts possible as well as refreshing or upgrading everything needed isn't cheap. For a road car it's less of a problem but for a track car it needs to be done properly.

If you stick to low boost and look after it you shouldn't have anymore issues than standard really. If you wheelspin in mcdonalds and smash the clutch then things will break.

We had a gasket blow out on one of our cars recently, so are replacing them on both cars for OE Nissan items to hopefully stop this happening again. We have GT2560Rs on both our cars. Standard turbo on a JDM Nissan S15 Spec R.

Both cars are around 240bhp with 220 ft lbs. They are both extremely high spec all rounders so they feel incredible to drive with the extra grunt.

What head gasket was used previous?

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Head gasket we both use Megane ones. Turbo gaskets were slide motorsport thick copper ones.

OEM Renault one? Yeah I’ve used the slide motorsport one myself with previous turbo and now with the new one, were your flange surfaces machined flat?

Also do you use m10 or m8 studs?

e46 M3
Thanks guys sounds good.

Ill have to keep my eyes open and for ow keep reading.

Ive liked a couple of pages on facebook selling Clios and the odd turbo too. I think one is sv performance imports if anyone knows it and the other is AM performance. They actually have one at the moment, looks a good spec to my limited knowledge, alot of ktec pasrts on it.
Maybe a month or so early for me, plus lockdown, who knows.

Never owned a Renault before (shiver lol)

OEM Renault one? Yeah I’ve used the slide motorsport one myself with previous turbo and now with the new one, were your flange surfaces machined flat?

Also do you use m10 or m8 studs?

Yeah Renault headgasket

We thought that being so thick the Slide Motorsport copper gaskets would be perfect. But Grahams blew to bits after one trackday, and mine is looking worse for wear after two trackdays, all though it's still working. Both are being changed for genuine nissan ones now though.

M8 studs from here:

http://www.blackcatmotorsport.co.uk/shop/inconel-stud-for-turbo-manifold-m8-x-1-25mm/

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
I run genuine Mazda skyactiv 2.2d M10 studs which are used with some kind of alloy/inconel Nut as standard, very expensive nuts! But are too bulky in length. So I use inconel K nuts with the studs

My thought process behind a lot of stuff is that manufactures know a lot more than we do in terms of stress etc and with the weight and size of one of the Bi turbos hanging off the back of the head they obviously chose this size of stud and type of nut for a reason. And all the bracing you see is what keeps these turbos on also!

I can’t really compare it with Renaults I work on because the turbo sits on top of the manifold with m8 normal studs and copper nuts so not much stress compared to our manifold design.

Because I get to do a lot with different types of vehicles I get a feel for what works and these never fail or come loose (Mazda), even when replacing the turbos always in great shape! They also run seriously think multi layer gaskets on the flange.

In the past my manifold flange has warped with heat so had to have it machined flat, once warped and machined they tend to stay flat very much like landrover defender manifolds. It’s like they need a good heat cycle to normalise and de stress! For this reason I believe my thick copper gasket has stood up very well so far ( I will be keeping and eye though)