ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 values and useable track day car

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Hi all!

New to the forum so please redirect me if this is in the wrong place!

I am looking at getting a 182 as a second car that I can use as a track car but I am new to track days so its not going to get hugely abused. I want to keep it relatively standard so that I can take advantage of 4 seats (only have 2 in my Z4!?) and also so it is still comfortable driving too and from tracks.

I have been looking at trying to get a fairly budget 182 with Cup suspension and prices seem to be creeping up. I get the impression 1500-2k+ is going to be needed for the base car. I totally appreciate that I could by a prepped car and save a lot of money in the long term but if I do decide to start undertaking more significant changes I want to enjoy the process.

The current conundrum is whether I prioritise cheap and cheerful, or push the budget up a little and try to pick up one of the really nice examples that sit around the 3-4k mark on the basis that if I look after it and don't bin it into a wall, and if I do decide to get rid of it in the next few years, it might have held its value better?

E.g. low mileage RB with stripes and in great nick at e.g. 80k mileage for 3-3.5k vs normal 182 cup with 130k+ mileage lots of dings etc, many owners, i.e. not a collectors car at 1.5-2k+

Any advice massively appreciated.

Thanks

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Welcome.

This forum is full of track day car owners. The Mk2 Clio's are getting on a bit now so they are likely to all need a fair bit of maintenance.

I've previously had a 182 as a daily then it became a 2nd car which I tracked and modified. Great cars on track but they are riddled with electrical gremlins.

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Never had any electrical issues on any of my previous clios.

For a good clio budget 2500-4000. Same would apply for a 'track' based car.

Not saying you won't pick a nice clio up for a couple of grand but it will be very hit n miss.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Tbf, most people who have electrical problems are the ones who have stripped them out.