ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 xenon not working

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Hey.

Noticed last night that my offside xenon isn't working at all.

I swapped my bulb over and that works on the other side so it's not the bulb!

Anything else I should be looking for? Completely new to xenons so not sure what to do to check.

And now this morning i've come to turn my lights on and neither of them are working :disrelieved:

Thanks for any help!

Dan

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Could swap the igniters over as well to rule those out. But if they're both not working now I'd be inclined to say it's an issue with wiring somewhere. Bad earths maybe?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks I'll give it a shot tonight!

Very strange how the other isn't working now I mustn't have connected something up properly!

I actually found an old ignitor under the headlight last night funnily enough so looks like it's had new ones on already shoddy work though if they left it there haha.

Is it fairly easy to get to the wiring?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Had a play tonight. Managed to get the nearside one working again like it was just by removing the fuse and putting it back in again. It hadn't blown weirdly enough.
As for the offside, there doesn't seem to be any power going to the igniter whatsoever, i've changed them over and it hasn't sorted it out.
Could it be the dreaded ballast? :(

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
You handy with a multimeter?

Yes mate! Just had it out then testing both sides. nearside igniter was showing around 0.4 volts? offside didn't show up anything. May have had it on the wrong setting though as it's cold and dark out haha

What parts were you thinking of testing? Any help would really be appreciated dude. Thanks

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
No idea if that's good or not tbh haha.

Was just thinking to test the connections on the main plug going into the headlight unit to rule out any wiring issues.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh that's a solid shout, so before it even goes to the ballast? @sburrell93 Is that the plug that you can see if you look directly down from above do you know?

One thing I have noticed is that, that plug on the one that is dodgy also can be intermittent for the sidelights. I really have to push it in for them to keep on. Might see if removing that plug and spraying it with contact cleaner solves that.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah, easiest way to describe it is the one you'd need unplug to remove the headlights from the car.

Could be a bad connection then. Xenons need a pretty steady input voltage to work. The dipped beam wire in the plug is the one next to the earth (I think). If you're looking into the plug with the little clip part facing upwards it should be from left to right: earth, dipped beam, indicator, main beam, sidelight

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, easiest way to describe it is the one you'd need unplug to remove the headlights from the car.

Could be a bad connection then. Xenons need a pretty steady input voltage to work. The dipped beam wire in the plug is the one next to the earth (I think). If you're looking into the plug with the little clip part facing upwards it should be from left to right: earth, dipped beam, indicator, main beam, sidelight

That's awesome to know, thank you very much for that dude :D

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
No worries mate! :smile: Let us know how you get on.

Honestly can't thank you enough mate!! :D

Unplugged the connector and sprayed it with contact cleaner and wiggled it back on, pushed and wiggled a bit more and the sweet sweet hum of the igniter firing up filled the air of this brisk thursday evening. Ecstatic :D

Cheers again dude

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Honestly can't thank you enough mate!! :D

Unplugged the connector and sprayed it with contact cleaner and wiggled it back on, pushed and wiggled a bit more and the sweet sweet hum of the igniter firing up filled the air of this brisk thursday evening. Ecstatic :D

Cheers again dude
No worries mate, glad I could help! :)

PH2 172
The Hella part number for the Igniter is 5DD 008 319 10 and they are £38 new from HIDs-direct.
Hella xenon ignitor 5DD 008 319 10.jpg
The Hella part number for the Ballast is 5DV 008 290 00 and as you can see from this eBay listing, they fit a lot more than Clio`s if you are looking for a used item.
Hella xenon ballast 5dv 008 290 00.jpg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Hella...d=252267735943&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

I had to replace an igniter, so put this up to help others.