ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

195/50/15 or 195/45/15? which one

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
looking at new wheels with yokahoma rubber, is there a benifit to getting the 45 over the 50?
wanna keep the 15" wheel coz the car feels quicker and handles sweeter with them, but what tyre size would be best.

M2 Competition
The fifty will just have bigger sidewalls. so more comfort, slightly bigger wheel, but more tyre roll.

Wont be much different dude.

Your speedo almost certainly reads high now. Ie, when it says 100 your probably doing 92-94. If you put 195/45x15s on it will read even higher. When it says 100 you will actually be doing 89-91.

The 45 profile will have a 19.5 mm smaller rolling diameter. That will lower your car by 9.75 mm. As well it will put slightly more rubber on road. So your handling will be fractionally better.

Acceleration off from a standing start will be fractionaly improved, and the car will seem to be quicker because of the shorter gearing. But 5th gear will also be shorter so if you do much highway driving it will be noisier - the engine will be reving a couple of hundred rpm higher at motorway speed - and use more fuel.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
GordonD said:
Your speedo almost certainly reads high now. Ie, when it says 100 your probably doing 92-94. If you put 195/45x15s on it will read even higher. When it says 100 you will actually be doing 89-91.

The 45 profile will have a 19.5 mm smaller rolling diameter. That will lower your car by 9.75 mm. As well it will put slightly more rubber on road. So your handling will be fractionally better.

Acceleration off from a standing start will be fractionaly improved, and the car will seem to be quicker because of the shorter gearing. But 5th gear will also be shorter so if you do much highway driving it will be noisier - the engine will be reving a couple of hundred rpm higher at motorway speed - and use more fuel.

Extreme exaggeration there.

100 is about 95-96. I changed profiles and the difference in speed profiles was a baws hair if at all.

Ziel Nurburgring
If its a Mk2 Ph2 and on standard alloys its 195 or 205/45/16

Mk2 Ph1 is 15's on the F1 alloys.

Are you on aftermarket alloys?

Monaco Blue Mk2
^^

clio172-squeeky said:
looking at new wheels with yokahoma rubber, is there a benifit to getting the 45 over the 50?
wanna keep the 15" wheel coz the car feels quicker and handles sweeter with them, but what tyre size would be best.

lol i have 50 profile rubber and have no problems what so ever but would like to know if any problems caused when car is lowered (cant wait he he)

if there is hardly a price differenc id opt for 45 but make sure its a good tyre,not nankang,federal etc,they r s**t,on that note,you get what u pay for really?

my mates just bought sum 195/45/15 but it was a choice between 195/50/15,both were same price but 45 were federal 50's were yokohamas?if ur going for 45's id just pay a lil extra for better rubber

cheers guys nothing 100% from all of this to be honest so dont know what to do what about lowering etc with that make a difference with the bigger profile

Go 45s! i've got em on my turbines and i love them, very little roll and i just think they look a bit neater!

wanting a 225or197
Just another quick question, while talking about tyre sizes..
On a 2002 172, some people seem to have 195/45/16, and some people seem to be using 205/45/16..
Whats the advantages / disadvantages of using 205 width, rather than the standard 195 width..?

Cheers

same as putting 195/50/15 on valver wheels which are 185/50/15 standard,in that case the 195 are probably easyer to find,u got an extra max 10 mm spread on ur tyre,but in ur case 195/16 r probably cheaper?nevver bough 16's so im not 100%