ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

195 or 205 tyre

I recently bought a set of Bridgestone GIII size 195 40 16 for my Clio Sport 172 and even with the standard 6.5inch rims the sidewalls seem to be too recessed from the rims, hence the rims stick out more than the tyres sidewall. Is this normal or just something particular for Bridgestones GIII? I am thinking about buying a set of Speedline 16inch rims but the width is 7inch, think it might be even more problematic. Would like to upgrade to 205/40 16 but my current GIIIs are brand new. I know 182 do use 205 profile, but will that effect the speedo reading if I use 205?

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..standard 172 mk2 rims are 7x16, 205 means more contact with the road so better grip but it wont affect the speedo much. not had any experience with the bridgestones. is your car lowered? as you may get rubbing with the wrong offset. the 182cup has a different track and offset is et45.

Oh, thanks! standard are 7x16 huh! Sorry, I should double check!

I am using factory alloy now and will get the turini later this month. I think ET42 is good right?

I had lowered by Eibach plus I did the laser wheel alignment already.

But what i am concern is the sidewalls which seem to be too recessed from the rims. The rims stick out more than the tyres sidewall. Is that normal???

I agree, the outer rims do seem to stick out a lot with 195 tyres on my 172 sport.

Probably why Ive done such a good job of wrecking the wheels :oops:

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..should be ok with et42 and 195/45/16 if you are lowering a small amount, not sure if you go for 205s, standard mk2 172 is et48.5, there has been a couple of posts about this recently but nobody has really confirmed what offset is best for us full fats who are lowered and want 205 rubber. ^Neil cant help if he has a cup, as they have a wider track and et38.5.

Quote: Originally posted by bean on 01 August 2005

I agree, the outer rims do seem to stick out a lot with 195 tyres on my 172 sport.

Glad its not me whos kerbed my wheels then :oops:. Im gonna need to replace all 4 tyres in the next few months, also thinking about sticking 205/45/16 on the standard mk2 172 rims. Im on apex -40s too, but Ive asked about this before and 99% of resonses say they wont rub.

Check out http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.htmlhttp://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html - comparing 195/45/16 against 205/45/16 theres little difference in speedo readings etc. Only 1.5% difference too slow, i.e. when your speedo reads 60mph, youre actually travelling at 60.9mph due to the increased diameter.

215/40/16 would be a good size as the overall diameter is almost eactly the same as the stock tyres, but dont think theyd fit on standard mk2 172 rims, and would probably rub anyway...

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..i demand 100%, 215 with standard offset would prob rub as you say, also hkka the wider the tyre the more it costs eh

Quote: Originally posted by Ally on 01 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by bean on 01 August 2005

Glad its not me whos kerbed my wheels then :oops:. Im gonna need to replace all 4 tyres in the next few months, also thinking about sticking 205/45/16 on the standard mk2 172 rims. Im on apex -40s too, but Ive asked about this before and 99% of resonses say they wont rub.
Yeah, I only bought the Clio in February this year and the wheels were in mint condition. Now theyre all curbed.

The car is completely standard, Ill get the wheels refurbed eventually and might have the protruding lip ground off. Save me destroying them again :oops:

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Quote: Originally posted by haitch on 01 August 2005

..i demand 100%, 215 with standard offset would prob rub as you say, also hkka the wider the tyre the more it costs eh
215/40 do not rub and are very similar to the std rolling radius. This tyre size is also cheep, checkout the prices. Had this size on my cup with eibachs no probs..! Performance was excellent

I am sorry to say that - kerb is caused by your driving technique :oops:

I have my Clio for a year and never kerb my standard 16" Renault alloy. Just be careful if you like your car.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..did you run the 215 with standard cup offset EVO? what i dont want to do is waste £600 or so on new alloys with 205 and find they rub, what i want is somebody who has a full fat 172 with a 40mmish drop running 205s tell me they have no rubbing on; full lock, cornering hard or with 5up, then tell me their offset. "99% of ppl think blah blah" is no good, a couple of ppl have bought the wrong offset on here lately going on others heresay i dont want to be one of them. lots of cups & 182s have differet setups but as yet no full fats with concrete proof.

My car is full stock including the suspension and wheel on my MKII. Before I use 205/45/16 BS RE01, no problem and no rubbing until I change to Kumho V700 of the same time, it rub a little bit under hard cornering plus uneven road. Dont know if I can solve this problem by replacing H&R spring, harder but lower by 30mm.

..did you run the 215 with standard cup offset EVO? what i dont want to do is waste £600 or so on new alloys with 205 and find they rub, what i want is somebody who has a full fat 172 with a 40mmish drop running 205s tell me they have no rubbing on; full lock, cornering hard or with 5up, then tell me their offset. "99% of ppl think blah blah" is no good, a couple of ppl have bought the wrong offset on here lately going on others heresay i dont want to be one of them. lots of cups & 182s have differet setups but as yet no full fats with concrete proof.
Id love to hear from anyone with this set-up too, as its what Im looking to run in a few months time. Im running Apex -40mm, standard full fat alloys and 195/45/16 tyres. Doesnt seem like anyone can provide a firm answer!

Is it worth the hassle?!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Eibach Pro springs on std 172 cup alloys 215/40/16s.

No issues what so ever.

^^^ yep, but the full fat has a different offset from the cup alloys, which could make a difference! Cheers though!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

^^^ Hey maybe its time to get some Cup alloys and really make your car look its best..!!

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

^i need proof of a FULL FAT owner who has what i have already stated, the cup has a wider track & ET38.5, ive had pms from cup/182 owners running this and that but until i hear from a full fat owner im not having any of it

Quote: Originally posted by hkka on 01 August 2005

I am sorry to say that - kerb is caused by your driving technique :oops:

I have my Clio for a year and never kerb my standard 16" Renault alloy. Just be careful if you like your car.
Yeah, having to parallel park up curbs because your road is so narrow doesnt help though. I have since moved :)

Im not that bothered now, will get the refurbed or buy Turinis when my tyres wear out.

172 mk2

ive a full fat 172

cup rims 38.5

215/40/16 ON THE BACK

40mm apex springs

so far the only encounter i had was when i was 5 up each of 12-15 stone and on the back passenger side at the top of the bumper, a little rubbing, but for some reason my bumper points in slightly as opposed to sitting perfect with the body panel...

have not tryed them on the front yet.