ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 recaros. LOL

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I can't agree with any of the defence i'm afraid. (Not that any of you care...)

But My Dad is a little on the ''large'' side and doesn't enter/exit his cars gracefully at all. None of his Saabs/Mercs/Mondeos/Hondas/mazdas have ever done it.

Once, his Cavalier SRI seat went, but that was after he had covered 111k in it from new.

They aren't upto the job, end of story.

Lee

BMW M2C
I can't agree with any of the defence i'm afraid. (Not that any of you care...)

But My Dad is a little on the ''large'' side and doesn't enter/exit his cars gracefully at all. None of his Saabs/Mercs/Mondeos/Hondas/mazdas have ever done it.

Once, his Cavalier SRI seat went, but that was after he had covered 111k in it from new.

They aren't upto the job, end of story.

And all those cars have seats with sides as high as a set of Recaros?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with them. Look at where the wear is, and ask yourself how it's happened, seeing as you don't sit on that area. It's because people are lazy and used to normal flat seats, all they need to do it lift their fat arses as they get in.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
It's like people with crushed bollsters in the integra's. Should happen! you'll get jean dye transfer on the red and blue. But they should never get crushed!! Just Lazy!

Lee

BMW M2C
I'd say that has a lot to do with it. People are driving cars these days with certain areas that aren't well suited to average daily life. A seat which is slightly track biased is never going to be ideal for the daily commute, it's always going to be a compromise in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:
  R27, JCW GP, M4, M2
Get your ass on to renault UK. I had the same problem, same age/miles on the car too. This is what I told to Renault Uk "Renault Swansea seem to think it’s a wear and tear issue due to the driver getting in and out. I agreed it was caused by this, but my argument is that the excessive amount of wear does not relate to the amount of use. I believe the wear to be premature due to poor material which is not up for the job and in turn not fit for purpose". Was replaced within the week. 10/10 for Renault UK, 0/10 Renault Swansea.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Somewhere there are photos showing this posted by 197Gaz.

If you sit in the seat & rub your hands on the bolsters you can feel the seat frame if it has burst through the foam.

Good luck with the 200 seats;)

Can see many getting refused by renault as well, huge thread on RS:mad:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Tbf, this isn't the first we've heard of quality issues with the seats. With the gallardo/amv8 you just jump in/out. If you don't have to take special care with those, no f**king way should you have to with a Clio!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I would have thought Renault would have revised this by now. The new 200 seats aren't any different, and if IIRC the new Megane will have the same Recaro sportsters as a option.

So this problem isn't going to go away for Renault.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Just to point out, I'm a fat f*cker and my recaro's werent showing any wear at all after 10k miles... The material renault used on the seats isn't up to the job, I parked mine miles away from any other car because I was precious about door dents, and that meant I could get in and out of my seats properly, even as a fat f*cker...

Liquid Yellow 197 F1
I had this problem in my drivers seat so i took it back and they replaced the lower bolster, now the passenger seat is begining to go as passengers always seem to sit on edges of the seat when they get in, but i'm not sure what the garage will say this time?
I think that if the subframes were slightly lower then the problem wouldnt be so bad, if i've ever parked next to a high kerb its alot easier to get out of the things.
I wonder how the leather seats will hold out?

I am not saying its right but they have to cut corners somewhere as they certainly dont with the engine and handling :)

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
they have to cut corners somewhere

Why? lol

Its not like the 197 is a special offer clearance priced model or something. They are the top of the range, and are priced as such.

Barge
They were an expensive option on the 197 and the R27 price also took this into account. You don't pay for them to fall apart after a couple of years and relatively low miles. Dragging a fat ass out of them won't help, but they should certainly withstand a little more than that. The car in the OP doesn't seem to well looked after, but that's not the point. The workmanship of the seats is absolutely terrible.

PS 200
rain sensors
Are they the things that turn the wipers on when there not needed and leave them off when the screen is covered in dew etc in the morning :D

I'm guessing they were tested by some frog in St Tropez in the summer :clown:

BMW 118d
Point one about this topic:

Those aren't recaro's anyway....

Second point, the driver must wear a cheese grater as part of their job.

My cars done over 30k and hardly any wear, more on the passenger side where people don't care as much getting in and out...

PS 200
I should know. I took the picture. They are recaros

What is "لتنوع موظف Πολυμορφία Ufficiale di diversità"

Is that some sort of Local council job title for Diversification Prefect :S:D

clio
So does anyone know how long renault have to replace my bolsters? They agreed to do them under warranty mid sept but still havent got the parts?

Is there a point where I can say just gimme 1k or something and i'll go get them done somewhere else??

I have been on to consumer direct today who advise me that as I bought my car from an independent dealer it is them that is contractually responsible for selling me something which is not of 'satisfactory quality' even tho the warranty is with Renault. So my complaints should be made to them. Doesnt seem that fair to me?

Barge
I'm getting a full set of new ones, where replacement recaros have been ordered they were due into the country w/c 28th Sept, and should be with dealers w/c 5th October. Insider knowledge. ;) LOL.

clio
So does anyone know how long renault have to replace my bolsters? They agreed to do them under warranty mid sept but still havent got the parts?

Is there a point where I can say just gimme 1k or something and i'll go get them done somewhere else??

I have been on to consumer direct today who advise me that as I bought my car from an independent dealer it is them that is contractually responsible for selling me something which is not of 'satisfactory quality' even tho the warranty is with Renault. So my complaints should be made to them. Doesnt seem that fair to me?

clio
No idea why my post is duplicated, But thats good news.. I'll get on to them again.

Needster - Any insider knowledge on whether these parts are any different / more durable or should I book it in for a second set in another 12k?

PS 200
No idea why my post is duplicated, But thats good news.. I'll get on to them again.

Needster - Any insider knowledge on whether these parts are any different / more durable or should I book it in for a second set in another 12k?
According to some on here - you need to go on a diet ;):D.

I'd be asking the stealer what guarantees they can give you wont need to come back again !

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Just like the worn steering wheels, leaking washer jets, creaking suspension, rain sensors, do I need to go on?

My steering wheel is still in great nic, washer jets haven't leaked for ages, never had a problem with creaking suspension, or rain sensors :cool:

clio
Yeh i'm not a Fat boy much so not sure that'd help but maybe the previous owner was..

I think i've read somewhere before that the replacements get no additional warranty thatn whats left on the car as a whole - but I will defo be asking..

Lee

BMW M2C
My steering wheel is still in great nic, washer jets haven't leaked for ages, never had a problem with creaking suspension, or rain sensors :cool:

Never had any of my steering wheels melt in my 172, 182 or Trophy, and they all got used a lot and spent a fair amount of time on track. Leaking washer jets I had on the 172.

For every one of you that moans, there's someone who doesn't. They'll play the odds game. Which works out cheaper, replacing everyones, or just those who have an issue!

I'm obviously light with a gentle touch. ;)

clio
maybe i'll just get some leather trousers and gloves to drive in. That'll sort it..

or tiger print seat covers with matching steering wheel cover..

or all of the above..

Then i'll look well cool.:cool:

my mate had this problem it was dan's LY. it was no way this bad but had ripped. he bought recaro seat covers made for the seat and they prolonged the life a bit better but in the end he had them replaced under warantee

Barge

No idea whether they're any better lad. God knows TBH, we'll see when I get my shed back what they're like. Renault take it up with Recaro, IIRC, which is why it's taken so long to sort replacements apparently. The replacement Recaro's which are in the UK now were sent to Dieppe w/c 28th and were with dealers the beginning of this week. Mines booked in for 19th and they've got it for five days, to sort the seats and some other things. I imagine they'll be straight replacements, I doubt Recaro will have done and R&D to make them better.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
And all those cars have seats with sides as high as a set of Recaros?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with them. Look at where the wear is, and ask yourself how it's happened, seeing as you don't sit on that area. It's because people are lazy and used to normal flat seats, all they need to do it lift their fat arses as they get in.

I'd say that has a lot to do with it. People are driving cars these days with certain areas that aren't well suited to average daily life. A seat which is slightly track biased is never going to be ideal for the daily commute, it's always going to be a compromise in some way.

So they're not up to the job then?? Is that not what I said?

Lets face facts. The seats are s**te.

Nimbus 197
Is it just the Renault materials or Recaro design? I haven't come across this problem else where.

I had a look at Corsa VXR Recaros and they have a slightly different design - there isn't as much side bolstering.