ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197s

Slow red one
So I test drove a 197 earlier to see if how they handle to see if I like them or not, it's £7.5k with 25k on the clock in UR. However when on the test drive I didn't think the acceleration was as quick as I was expecting, admittedly I currently have an R26 with a turbo however I'm pretty sure my old 182 had more torque than this 197 did. Are they all slightly sluggish or is it just this one I drove today? I was however impressed with the handling as it felt very solid. cheers.

Mini JCW
It's the weight that kills them IMO (you'll also struggle to get any better MPG out of the 197 over the R26).

This is coming from a former 197, now R26.

Megane r26
They feel slower but I don't think they are, there a bigger an better built car then the old ph2's an with the 6 speed box I think you have to work it more. I went from a 172 to a 197 an felt the same but when pushed it really moves coupled with the awesome handling an stopping power I think there awesome. I have since gone back to a 182 trophy purely down to purchasing a house. One thing I will say is the fuel comsuption is abit naff I usually saw around 28mpg day to day an I only saw 32-35mpg on the motorway due to 4000rpm at 70 due to gearbox ratio's. I will have another 197/200 in time maybe, also parts costs are a little higher then you ph2's.

The one I drove felt the same. It never really felt like it wanted to go anywhere. I waited for the fabled high rpm power, but it never came. I was waiting for the rev limiter. Not slow, but definitely lacking punch. The 200 gays will have you believe their cars have an extra 200lb/ft but personally I don't believe it.

Vastly superior grip and stability over a MkII shed though.

Megane r26
The one I drove felt the same. It never really felt like it wanted to go anywhere. I waited for the fabled high rpm power, but it never came. I was waiting for the rev limiter. Not slow, but definitely lacking punch. The 200 gays will have you believe their cars have an extra 200lb/ft but personally I don't believe it.

The power curve is alot smoother but I used to like that, I think done a country b road or on track the 197/200 would be quicker then the old ph2 purely down to the handling an braking performance

GT86, 335, Westfield
A 182 feels much quicker in a straight line. I think the 197 lacks torque but the additional refinement makes it feel much slower then it is.

Great handling though.

Mike

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
what was the spec for £7.5k?

it may be just coming from an R26. i've never driven a 1*2 properly but whenever ive been out with them, my 197 has been just as quick if not marginally quicker (than one example i had a play with).

apparently they handle better than 1*2s, you can take more speed into corners.

but you will get a similar mpg to the r26 with a hell of a lot less power/torque

I need to dig out the graphs but in sure my 172 has higher peak torque than my 197 did. Best bit about the 197 is the brakes tbh.

Mini JCW
My 172 cup felt and probably was quicker than my 197....AND got 35mpg +. Also parts and servicing were more reasonable.

Maybe mine was just shite:eek:

Slow red one
what was the spec for £7.5k?

it may be just coming from an R26. i've never driven a 1*2 properly but whenever ive been out with them, my 197 has been just as quick if not marginally quicker (than one example i had a play with).

apparently they handle better than 1*2s, you can take more speed into corners.

but you will get a similar mpg to the r26 with a hell of a lot less power/torque
It was this one:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...w/page/1/postcode/nr134qs/radius/60?logcode=p

Also seen this one but do have my eye on UR but would like xenons and recaros!
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...w/page/1/postcode/nr134qs/radius/60?logcode=p

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
fuuuuuuuu

that first one isnt worth £7.5k in my (and im guessing cs's) opinion

why dont you look for an r27? has recaros and cup chassis as standard, then you just need to find one that has the options you want :)

Mini JCW
^ Agreed, R27 is the way to go. If not, at least cup chassis and Recaros - they'll make a huge difference to both your enjoyment and re-sale value.

Just not Liquid Yellow :p

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
They feel sluggish from low revs, crap torque and extra weight mean they'll always struggle.

Straight line once rolling though, and there's nothing in it between a 197/200 and a 1*2.

320d
I think the close ratio box on the 197/200 helps. The 1*2 would be a lot better with an extra cog, faster gearchange and shorter ratio's.

I still need to try a Mk3.

Clio 197
Mine is it puts a smile on my face anyways, someone told me ones you have got to know how to drive them to get the best out of them, I'm still working onit lol

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ive never driven a 197 but ive had a play with a few in my 172 and i was all over them.

I reckon if your going for a mk3 it would be a 200 or a R27 tbh.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Aint that the truth!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Same, mines now on 13K and feels completely different to when it was in its first 10K

Id never go back to a 1*2

If my 172 had equivalent brakes to the the 197 then I'd be happy tbh. I prefer driving the 172 daily more than I ever did the 197, just miss those brakes!

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
I test drove one too, was a little disappointed with the low end torque. However, we all know they are very capable cars when you're pushing on! Ended up with a 182.