ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1983 Ford Capri 2.0S Resto' Project

It was quite a series of events that saw my Dad and I in possession of a rather sorry looking Capri...

First of all, both of us used to race motocross at a semi competitive level. Unfortunately in February whilst testing, Dad had a pretty serious 'off' and ended up with a host of injuries. Needless to say, being forty-something years old and with your own business to keep running, he decided to hang up his boots for good.:dapprove:

Decided to concentrate all of the racing efforts on me, which was great! Until I also went for a flying lesson off a jump at the end of May... result, a fracture to my lower vertebrae, which I'm still recovering from, having had pins and rods etc and contracting MRSA along the way :quiet: As you can imagine, being lucky to not be in a wheelchair, the girlfriend and mum basically told me I'm not to ride again. And TBH I don't think I'd want to anyway!

So with those unfortunate accidents, this then left my Dad and I wondering what we were going to do with our weekends!

The last piece of the puzzle was when my girlfriends car died. I found a Renault Clio on eBay and we went to have a look at it. It was in a yard full of old VW campers as this guy's business was to restore them. Nestled between the 'sheds' was our Capri. Needless to say I was more interested in that than the Clio! Sorted a deal out with the Clio and got straight on the phone to Dad about the Capri :D

2 days later, Dad goes to pick up the Clio.

5 days later, Capri has been trailer'd to the workshop!

Now the Capri is completely standard apart from the rust and green stuff growing all over it. We noticed there was a tax disc in the window ... Expired sometime in 1997... so it had clearly been sitting a while. Amazingly the engine didnt just turn over, but it also runs! So that was a turn up for the books.

On the whole the shell itself is in a pretty good state. There is the usual rust behind the wings and the front valance had completely had it. Anyway here are some of the first pictures I managed to get of it from our work today.:coffee:

Sorry about the boring waffle, but I always think its nice to put a story to something like this :eek:

8176161208_2f015ff21f_q.jpg

Rusty Door by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
The worst of the rust was on the door, practically hanging off!

8176128157_d6b7c9bf9a_q.jpg

Repaired Inner Wing by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
Inner wing/A pillar after repair. Had been bodged previously.

8176128649_cd3b769b25_q.jpg

NSF by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
Front valance removed. Nothing to save!

8176129233_4674953599_q.jpg

Engine by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
Engine. Won't be staying like this though...

8176130649_fbcf23b1f8_q.jpg

Corner by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
Driving back to bed!

Link to project pictures on FlickR:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73856634@N04/sets/72157631983100835/with/8176130649/

As you can see, there's a long way to go but we're hoping to have it ready for the road by spring next year:race:and I can't wait.

I'll update this project again with a list of the plans we have so far, but at the moment it's very much a case of finding things we need as we go along.

However, we've already gone and bought a set of these :)

8176249417_05e2edbff6_q.jpg

Weber 45's by Jon_KTM, on Flickr

Hopefully, we end up with a nice sorted car that's going to be a bit more OEM+ once finished. And have a bit of fun with it!

Thanks for looking, and if anyone has done anything like this before, please get in touch!

Jon

Westfield, 182, 200
Love it!

Went to the NEC classic show a couple of weeks ago and saw a shed load of Fords from tbe 80's. Then a woman at work turned up in her busbands mint 2.8 capri yesterday.

Been looking on the net at xr2 mark 1's :S

Love it!

Went to the NEC classic show a couple of weeks ago and saw a shed load of Fords from tbe 80's. Then a woman at work turned up in her busbands mint 2.8 capri yesterday.

Been looking on the net at xr2 mark 1's :S

Ah didn't know it was on! Woulda been good to get up there and have a look round. We might be getting another one as well now with more of a V engine format to it ;)

Small update:

Managed to get the engine and gearbox out last weekend.

As you can imagine it was all a bit of a state but everything came out easy enough (quite handy having an oil leak as it keeps all the bolts lubricated and rust free!)

8224088187_bcd806389b_q.jpg

Capri Engine In by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
She's in...

8225160866_083ee30ca1_q.jpg

Capri Engine Out by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
She's out!

8225162156_f5fb54c84f_q.jpg

Engine Bay Empty by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
As you can see the engine bay is pretty hanging... Will be having a full respray including engine bay anyway so for the moment it's going to stay like this for a while.

8225161712_4ce65fa803_q.jpg

Capri Gearbox by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
One filthy gearbox. After I'd finished steam cleaning it most of the crap was on me!

Didn't manage to get any photos of the cleaned engine and gearbox, but they're both getting a complete overhaul anyway so will look brand new once they're ready to go back in

Will get some more pictures of the interior/areas of work next time

Enjoy :)

Got a few pictures to put up :)

The build has stalled a bit as both my 182 and dads daily needed some work, so the 'toys' took a bit of a back seat

We now have another rolling shell, in white, 1983 2.0S, so EXACTLY the same as this just with no engine, and instead of white stripes on the seats they're red.

Once we finish this one (aiming for August/September time) we'll be starting the other one. Jap power intended ;)

If you happened to buy this months edition of Retro ford magazine, a bloke i know who ive met a few times, his car is in it. Its a ford capri running the engine out of a nissan 200 S14 which he fully restored pretty much himself. Amazing car! might be some inspiration :)
Have fun!

Mec 350 slk manual
It was quite a series of events that saw my Dad and I in possession of a rather sorry looking Capri...

First of all, both of us used to race motocross at a semi competitive level. Unfortunately in February whilst testing, Dad had a pretty serious 'off' and ended up with a host of injuries. Needless to say, being forty-something years old and with your own business to keep running, he decided to hang up his boots for good.:dapprove:

Decided to concentrate all of the racing efforts on me, which was great! Until I also went for a flying lesson off a jump at the end of May... result, a fracture to my lower vertebrae, which I'm still recovering from, having had pins and rods etc and contracting MRSA along the way :quiet: As you can imagine, being lucky to not be in a wheelchair, the girlfriend and mum basically told me I'm not to ride again. And TBH I don't think I'd want to anyway!

So with those unfortunate accidents, this then left my Dad and I wondering what we were going to do with our weekends!

The last piece of the puzzle was when my girlfriends car died. I found a Renault Clio on eBay and we went to have a look at it. It was in a yard full of old VW campers as this guy's business was to restore them. Nestled between the 'sheds' was our Capri. Needless to say I was more interested in that than the Clio! Sorted a deal out with the Clio and got straight on the phone to Dad about the Capri :D

2 days later, Dad goes to pick up the Clio.

5 days later, Capri has been trailer'd to the workshop!

Now the Capri is completely standard apart from the rust and green stuff growing all over it. We noticed there was a tax disc in the window ... Expired sometime in 1997... so it had clearly been sitting a while. Amazingly the engine didnt just turn over, but it also runs! So that was a turn up for the books.

On the whole the shell itself is in a pretty good state. There is the usual rust behind the wings and the front valance had completely had it. Anyway here are some of the first pictures I managed to get of it from our work today.:coffee:

Sorry about the boring waffle, but I always think its nice to put a story to something like this :eek:

8176161208_2f015ff21f_q.jpg

Rusty Door by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
The worst of the rust was on the door, practically hanging off!

8176128157_d6b7c9bf9a_q.jpg

Repaired Inner Wing by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
Inner wing/A pillar after repair. Had been bodged previously.

8176128649_cd3b769b25_q.jpg

NSF by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
Front valance removed. Nothing to save!

8176129233_4674953599_q.jpg

Engine by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
Engine. Won't be staying like this though...

8176130649_fbcf23b1f8_q.jpg

Corner by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
Driving back to bed!

Link to project pictures on FlickR:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73856634@N04/sets/72157631983100835/with/8176130649/

As you can see, there's a long way to go but we're hoping to have it ready for the road by spring next year:race:and I can't wait.

I'll update this project again with a list of the plans we have so far, but at the moment it's very much a case of finding things we need as we go along.

However, we've already gone and bought a set of these :)

8176249417_05e2edbff6_q.jpg

Weber 45's by Jon_KTM, on Flickr

Hopefully, we end up with a nice sorted car that's going to be a bit more OEM+ once finished. And have a bit of fun with it!

Thanks for looking, and if anyone has done anything like this before, please get in touch!

Jon
Hi Jon I used to own one in black 10 years ago in mint condition wish I kept it .