ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1st Gear Troubles

1.6 Ford Focus
A service seams to be ringing out to me but I fear this is going to be expensive...

Every now and then my Ph1 refuses to go into 1st gear and I actually have to force it into gear... I could be heading towards a T junction in 3rd, start slowing down, drop the clutch down and push it straight from 3rd into 1st while all the time holding the clutch down. Sometimes it totally refuses to do it and feels like I am pushing the gearstick through a bag full of gravel.

It doesn't make any sound when it does it and does go in there's no problems at all.

It's only had one previous old woman owner since new and I wouldn't say I thrash it about a lot although I have my moments as people do... so I can't figure out what the problem is.

The clutch is fine and so is every other gear apart from 1st, but then it doesn't do it all the time.

Does it only do it when the car's still cold by any chance? Or on cold mornings? My 1.2 did this till it warmed up, all my mates did the same.

Black 197
A service seams to be ringing out to me but I fear this is going to be expensive...

Every now and then my Ph1 refuses to go into 1st gear and I actually have to force it into gear... I could be heading towards a T junction in 3rd, start slowing down, drop the clutch down and push it straight from 3rd into 1st while all the time holding the clutch down. Sometimes it totally refuses to do it and feels like I am pushing the gearstick through a bag full of gravel.

It doesn't make any sound when it does it and does go in there's no problems at all.

It's only had one previous old woman owner since new and I wouldn't say I thrash it about a lot although I have my moments as people do... so I can't figure out what the problem is.

The clutch is fine and so is every other gear apart from 1st, but then it doesn't do it all the time.

Go from 3rd to 2nd as you break then when stationary pop it into first, I wouldn't even dream of sticking my car into first when above a few miles an hour, Renault boxes are made of cheese as it is.

Get the box oil replaced with something decent, If that dont cure it then the selector plate could be fubared, Linkage could be worn etc, TBH theres so many factors to consider, is it only first giving you grief and all other gears are fine ?

Titanium 182
Sounds more like your driving style than a problem with the car. Should'nt be putting the car into first unless stationary or at most a couple of mph.. (eg less than 5)

Bumder With A Buffer
I cant get mine into first unless im pretty much stationary. Tis normal..stops you blowing s**t up :)

Aluco il reply to your pm in a momento :)

1.6 Ford Focus
Go from 3rd to 2nd as you break then when stationary pop it into first, I wouldn't even dream of sticking my car into first when above a few miles an hour, Renault boxes are made of cheese as it is.

Get the box oil replaced with something decent, If that dont cure it then the selector plate could be fubared, Linkage could be worn etc, TBH theres so many factors to consider, is it only first giving you grief and all other gears are fine ?

I was always taught to do it that way, I am obviously not engaging first gear when I am doing it. Imagine driving up to a T junction, your going to have to stop so you can see... so instead of slowing down earlier and going down the gears I just hold the clutch right down and pop it in first so I am ready to pull off from a stop.

It's sounding like a garage job to me... All other gears are fine and it does it at random times, there is no pattern to when it does it.

Bumder With A Buffer
Its nowt wrong with the car...more your driving ;)

It doesnt matter if you were "taught" to do it that way :)

"Driving...your doing it WRONG" :) ;) :) ;)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My 172, it's replacement gearbox and my 182 wouldn't go into first unless doing about 3mph or less.
So i reckon it's your driving.

Although yours is not a RS.

330i. E30 Touring.
Always use second unless pulling away from standstill..

Failing that, it might be a simple linkage adjustment.

1.6 Ford Focus
Right well I tried what someone mentioned above and dropping from third to second and then to first and that works. I used to drive an old crappy 2004 Nissan Micra and it let me drop to first from third in that... Problem solved anyway.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having this issue.
I'm literally just rolling and I can't find 1st gear, have to force it in.

It's not my driving style because if I go to use 2nd gear it starts to stall.

I also have the occasional problem getting it into reverse when stationary, just won't go in at all.

My car is a 1.2 16v btw.

Cheers
Liam

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
A lot of the 1.2's do it mate, its just a characteristic of the gbox's I've found.

My old 1.2 certainly did and so have two others I have driven, if it doesnt go, don't force it just lift right off and press clutch fully again, it will go in.

For some reason the 1.2's don't like going into first when moving at all, and if they do, its when you've tried the clutch twice, lol!

Tbh in the 1.2 unless you're actually stopped, you can pull off in second with no real troubles anyways, so just adjust your driving style suitably.

After having a non sport for 4 years I can't get used to being able to use 1st in my sport. lol!

Fabia VRS Special Ed
A lot of the 1.2's do it mate, its just a characteristic of the gbox's I've found.

My old 1.2 certainly did and so have two others I have driven, if it doesnt go, don't force it just lift right off and press clutch fully again, it will go in.

For some reason the 1.2's don't like going into first when moving at all, and if they do, its when you've tried the clutch twice, lol!

Tbh in the 1.2 unless you're actually stopped, you can pull off in second with no real troubles anyways, so just adjust your driving style suitably.

After having a non sport for 4 years I can't get used to being able to use 1st in my sport. lol!

I don't mind pulling off in 2nd like you said, but if you have to give it a bit of a boot there's no chance...You either end up letting the clutch out as slow as anything or riding the accelerator.

I wasn't sure whether the problem with reverse and 1st were linked at all?

Mk5 golf gti
try putting it in reverse then straight into first an it may go in.thats what mine use to do
sureley there must be a bteer box you can fit
as there only cheap to get hold of

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Does it go in if you depress the clutch and try again?

Mine had issues with reverse, only would go in if it was totally stationary.

I have to keep depressing the clutch, trying to find the gear.

Eventually it'll go in after a few attempts.

The car will be totally stationary with the handbrake on.