ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2 Stroke Oil mixed with Diesel

Land Rover
The way a Diesel engine operates, the clattering noise means it is working properly
If you put two stroke oil in with the diesel, it is less volatile so will effectively slow down the combustion process making the engine quieter.
But that doesn’t mean it’s better, in fact it’s worse.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Nah one of my injectors is on its way out but I’ve been neglecting it because I’ve got a 172 still without an engine in it and about £1000 worth of parts still to be bolted to it[emoji23][emoji23]

Need to do a leak off but I’ve got the cambelt to get sorted next week[emoji849]

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Diesel isn’t volatile though so when atomised I doubt it has an effect on combustion.

I got mine from eBay 5l of low ash stuff.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah diesel isn’t volatile, you can sit and throw matches and lighters at a diesel spill all day without it doing anything. Compress it and heat it to above 200 degrees and then it’s a different story

But even if you compress engine oil and heat it to a certain degree it will become volatile, same with most stuff. You could probably get a jar of someone’s piss to burn if you really wanted

I also seem to think that some people are forgetting we’re not running our cars on 100% 2 strike oil, it’s a very very dilute mix to put some Lubricity back in as sulphur is no longer in diesel.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
  Land Rover
Fair enough if you want to do it, then do it.

The discussion on the Land Rover forum went to ten pages with no definitive yes or no.

Some mechanic even said that the two stroke oil didn’t mix with diesel and he’d found pools of the stuff in the bottom of fuel tanks.

Land Rover
Early Land Rovers yes up to 300tdi

But TD5 and particularly TDCi demand more care when glugging random substances in with the fuel.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Horses for courses really,
I use 2 stoke in my old smokers but not in the new 330d (warranty so not bothered)
Lucas pumps will last longer with 2 stoke added as their internals are made from chocolate,
Bosch VE and inline pumps don't give a s**t and will happily pump mucky sludge all day long without issues so possibly less benefit.
TD5's were run on jet fuel in Iraq by the US military with a bit of 2 stroke in it

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Delphi stuff ain’t good unless you’re careful

Been toying with the idea of getting rid of my dCi ad getting something more grown up. Can’t bring myself to get rid though[emoji30]

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
that article was interesting. Amazing if it really does reduce the lubricating properties. Would like to see some more evidence to compare it against.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
that article was interesting. Amazing if it really does reduce the lubricating properties. Would like to see some more evidence to compare it against.

Something slightly more legit than an article on a random website, it looks fine but it doesn't appear anywhere else online and you'd expect it to be referenced in a journal somewhere??

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting this - as the OP says, if you're doing this on your cheap daily and the overall results look and feel better, then great.

I wonder if with less smoke generated, the results from the exhaust come MOT time would actually be better?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Given that visible smoke is now a fail I think it would probably help come MOT time.

It’s the particulates not a visible test iirc

And I think it only heavily applies to newer diesels, they still can’t be as strict with the older diesels due to a lack of DPF, there are always going to be particles present on an old coal burner[emoji23]

But saying that mine ain’t the cleanest of burners and mine was well within the new MOT ruling... dunno what it’ll be like when I say bye to the cat[emoji102]

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Nah I sold my clio on 250k and the Megane is a nice 'new' diesel so the low sulphur diesel doesn't do much in fuel knock

Ran the same mix in my dads Astra until it shat a valve and he'd done well over 150k in 5 years doing the same thing. Anything pre 2004 and 2vPC will love a bit of 2 stroke

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
It’s on 128k. Fairly well serviced but doing circa 500 miles a week.

Doesn’t smoke as it is so will run a few tanks through.

Mpg is down because the thermostat is stuck open. Noticed it more over Christmas when the temperature was constantly at freezing. When I get round to doing the thermostat I’m hoping that will make a difference!