ClioSport.net

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

  • When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swapping back to standard shifter from PMS

lee M4RSH

ClioSport Club Member
Been having an issue with jumping out of 3rd gear and I “think” it’s down to the PMS shifter.
Having had a gearbox rebuild and diff fitted I want to eradicate the gearbox being the issue so I’m going to swap back to a standard shifter just to see.

Since fitting the PMS it’s never felt great and if anything has caused more of a hindrance with the rattling and the faff to get everything perfectly aligned in the first place.
Bushes could potentially be worn so it could be that.

I’ve got a standard gearstick from ages ago so going to use that but I have purchased the linkage rod from a lad on here however it is only the rod and didn’t include the end pivot piece as shown below.

Does it have to be the standard one or can I use the PMS one which is currently fitted?
If I can - does this have any affect on the gear change so I would be wasting my time testing?
Also - any other bits I will need as I’m fairly certain I don’t have anything extra from the standard shifter setup in my box of bits.

IMG_5726.webp
 
Been having an issue with jumping out of 3rd gear and I “think” it’s down to the PMS shifter.
Having had a gearbox rebuild and diff fitted I want to eradicate the gearbox being the issue so I’m going to swap back to a standard shifter just to see.

Since fitting the PMS it’s never felt great and if anything has caused more of a hindrance with the rattling and the faff to get everything perfectly aligned in the first place.
Bushes could potentially be worn so it could be that.

I’ve got a standard gearstick from ages ago so going to use that but I have purchased the linkage rod from a lad on here however it is only the rod and didn’t include the end pivot piece as shown below.

Does it have to be the standard one or can I use the PMS one which is currently fitted?
If I can - does this have any affect on the gear change so I would be wasting my time testing?
Also - any other bits I will need as I’m fairly certain I don’t have anything extra from the standard shifter setup in my box of bits.

View attachment 1803213
I’m pretty sure the shifter rod and associated items are with your original gearbox mate. I won’t be able to look until later on, but yes, you will need all those parts to remove the pms shifter.
 
I’m pretty sure the shifter rod and associated items are with your original gearbox mate. I won’t be able to look until later on, but yes, you will need all those parts to remove the pms shifter.
Interesting…

Although I already had the PMS shifter before the gearbox was swapped so he would have just swapped everything over wouldn’t he?
Or do you recon the gearbox I have now has a standard gear lever pivot still attached?
Could that be the problem?
 
If the standard shifter rod and gearbox pivot is on, then get rid of them. Its fairly obvious to see if it's the PMSD one or not, but the standard one will be causing slop and it'll be fighting each other
 
If the standard shifter rod and gearbox pivot is on, then get rid of them. Its fairly obvious to see if it's the PMSD one or not, but the standard one will be causing slop and it'll be fighting each other

Will have a proper look.

It was on the car when I bought it to be fair so anything is possible.

What differences will be obvious?
 
Interesting…

Although I already had the PMS shifter before the gearbox was swapped so he would have just swapped everything over wouldn’t he?
Or do you recon the gearbox I have now has a standard gear lever pivot still attached?
Could that be the problem?
Yeah so in that case, I would’ve sent it with the standard shifter pivot mate, then when Nev did the swap over, he would’ve removed it and put the pms in its place.

It 100% will have the pms shifter pin fitted.
 
Back
Top