ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2 suspension bolts

Clio 1.2 16v
i spent a good hour with a friend trying to undo these bold but nothing would budge them, not even a can of WD40

i was wondering if there was anything else i could try to get these bolts out?

thanks

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Burning Bottles?

Alot of heat should free them up abit, Just dont get them too hot :p

If not a grinder?

Clio 1.2 16v
yeah iv let them soak in wd40 over night now, ill try again after but honrstly i couldnt get them to budgre last night.. my cars hardly the oldest either

if all else fails off to the DIY shop for a gas burner thing..

Clio 1.2 16v
right had another big go at this and ended up with plasters oll over my hands.. the bolds have buggerd 3 spanners 2 sockets.. nothing will budge them is there any otherway of changing the springs without removing these bolts?

182 Trophy (#27/500)
Not that i know of!!

Try using a socket but use a bar to extend the distance from the pivot point. This has work many times of my cars and they have never been that old either. I would use the heat as a very last measure tbh though. Not to insult you either but "righty tighty, lefty loosey"??

Clio 1.2 16v
i have tryed everything but heat :/ there well and truely on there :( how much do you rekon a garage will charge?

Clio 1.2 16v
dose anybody know the size of the bolts? i think im going to go buy some new bolts and grind these ones off

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
It may sound silly but have you tried to tighten them slightly 1st? Sometimes it helps to give them a slight twist tighter then try and undo them,

Take it to a Loccl Tyre Fitter and get them to use an Impact Gun on them.

Clio 1.2 16v
i tryed that yeah..

but the get tht done id have to change them there and then.. which they will charge me quiet abit in a garage

do you know the size of the bolts? also can i got the my local DIY shop and pick up some new ones?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Stick a slightly smaller socket on & tap it with something so it's tight.

Might help to clean the bolt first to get the WD40 off it to stop your socket from slipping & rounding the bolt

Clio 1.2 16v
ill have another go this after noon... dredding it tho... as i cnt get 1 bolt off nevermind 4

how much would a garagw charge to change just the front springs?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Renault or any decent auto parts place local to you

If you do end-up grinding them off be careful not to damage anything else!

Clio 1.2 16v
right ok found a car place tht got all sizes, all i need is the sizes spanner ans thread so i can go up and get some?

dose anybody know the size?? its a 1.2 2005 model

im gna use a dremmel grinder that way less change of damaging.. think ill take my disks off aswell

Clio 1.2 16v
why when i got a good car shop on my door step? all he needs is the size and he will sort me out with some

172 cup
as said pop to garage get them to buzz off with air gun, tip them a fiver. Then tighten them up yourself after copper grease for easy removal when you get home

Clio 1.2 16v
as said pop to garage get them to buzz off with air gun, tip them a fiver. Then tighten them up yourself after copper grease for easy removal when you get home

but then i cnt drive home to change the springs :/
is ill have no front suspension?

172 cup
you are talking about the top mounts right? you can take them off and fit back with the car on the ground without the suspension coming off . . .

leverage is what you need as they are heavy gauge threads done up tight for obvious reasons! (assuming you are talking about the shock to hub bolts?)

You need a breaker bar, or a pipe on the end of a socket to attain the leverage to undo them.

172 cup
if it is the hub ones. I had to use a 36" breaker bar to get mine off, you tried this?

and again go to with the garage using air gun get them to buzz them off, grease up and back on. You dont have to take the bolt out when your just undoing the nut

I use an extendable breaker bar. No troubles and i've done this several times on different clios.

man up, tbh.

Jagggg...missing the 182!
which bolts is it your trying to undo? only reason you should struggle is lack of torque ie long bar needed?