ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200+ bhp 182

Hi all.

My first post here so hello all. This post is copied from the subaru site i use so excuse the referances to coopers etc lol .........

Right heres the deal. Currently got the STi and a 205GTi track car.

I fancy a bit of a change. The 205 is great fun on the track but a little underpowered and I fancy something reliable etc. The scoob is a great car and I love it but it aint no circuit car for sure. Too heavy on brakes, tyres , fuel etc.

Was thinking about a 964RS but to be honest I cant stretch to it.

So heres my current thinking.

Get myself an ex demo Clio 182 cup or cooper S. The cooper S would be straight to Ray West racing, down the road from me for a supercharger upgrade, which is good for anything up to 240BHP. The clio would have similar mods by whoever does work on them to give at least 200bhp. Then it would be stripped bare, decent cage, harnesses, seats fitted, internal spray job, and ready to rock and roll.
The Clio for about £12K gives me £6K to have the work done, the cooper is more to buy but more BHP at the end.
I would flog the 205 and buy a sensible £2K car in its place.

What do you think? a good 182 / S with decent power, stripped and caged sounds interesting and should be useful on the track?

I could buy a caterfield but the 182 / S could also be used as an everyday car when the mood took me, not something I could do in the caterfield.

I also like the idea of having something nearly new from a reliablility viewpoint, and lightweight means easy on brakes etc.

No idea what and how I would be able to sell it on in a couple of years, but the recent track day climate would surely have people looking to get their hands on a well sorted car

what say you??? good or bad idea?

Can you get 200+ bhp from a 182 cup for 2 or 3K?

thanks in anticipation of your replies

Gary

be best with cooper s i think it is as heavy as a tank but if u strip it would be nice and light and like you said more power at the end

Lionel Richie

Well there is a 172 with Throttle Bodies for sale at the moment (MK2) 212bhp

its Fully stripped, but still has the factory Sat Nav, 2 Cobra buckets

£11grand

PM Roamer

all its needs is a cage, and coilovers

P

peterh2

Get a clio 172 cup from a dealer, there’s still loads in the system and you will be able to knock them down to £10-£10.5k for a brand new one.

Will also be more fun round a track than a cooper S.

220bhp should be easily achievable within your budget. (under 6k) Throttle bodies, cams, manifolds, smt6, induction and decat and you should see 220hp no problem. Speak to Andy at GDI on here, sure he can help you out.

Lionel Richie

Spammy, Smt6 cant be used with throttle bodies, you have to go stand alone ECU for best results

BUY ROAMERS Clio, its dam quick, and thats on a std head and cams

itll be nearer 230bhp N/A with headwork and cams

its had £4K spent doing the throttle body conversion, Including OMEX 500 ECU

What kind of power could be had with a de-cat and ecu / remap. I kinda like the idea of leaving the engine internals alone to start with retaining reliability etc.

The car will live at the nurburgring 8 months of the year but for the other 4 months i may use it to go to tesco etc.....lol

Need to ring Ian mate, he is very good. Small companies like him struggle to answer the mountain of e-mails they get, if thats how you contacted him.

I test drive his Spec C twice a year or so ago, very nice bloke and didnt mind me giving it stink etc.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

the 182 is quite capable of 200 bhp, we just did one with 196bhp

Andy

GDI

without the weight it will be mental

Was the 196 bhp easy to acheive and what kind of money are we talking about? Obviously im not worried about the warranty side of things, that goes out the door when the cage and stuff goes in.

Im with Fred on this, buy Roamers 172, 212 BHP for 11k, got throttle boddies spend a few k on headwork and cams and you have about 230bhp

[Edited by Lunner on 28 November 2004 at 8:14pm]

Gutmann, how much are you looking for the pug? Hopefully I should be coming to the ring with Westy in his Capri ;) but I dont fancy taking my vRS round the track.

Boyced aka Maxim on Scoobynet.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

2-2.5k for 196, fairly stright forward... there are other "develpments" cam profile etc that will boost peak power at the expense of drivabily etc etc

Boyced ...

dunno how much for the pug mate. I think the guys on scoobynet have talked me out of it. In fairness its probably a bad idea. £16K car used on the track by me for 2 years is gonna be worth about £6K at the end. Thats a big cash hit. Would be better off buying a 968 or E30 M3, track it for 2 years and sell it for the same money again.

You only want my pug coz it does 8.50s round the ring and you can kick westys arse in it .lol

Thanks for the comments chaps, if i decide to give it a go anyway I will be back for more help and advice.

Gary

Quote: Originally posted by gutmann pug on 28 November 2004

Hi all.

My first post here so hello all. This post is copied from the subaru site i use so excuse the referances to coopers etc lol .........

Right heres the deal. Currently got the STi and a 205GTi track car.

I fancy a bit of a change. The 205 is great fun on the track but a little underpowered and I fancy something reliable etc. The scoob is a great car and I love it but it aint no circuit car for sure. Too heavy on brakes, tyres , fuel etc.

Was thinking about a 964RS but to be honest I cant stretch to it.

So heres my current thinking.

Get myself an ex demo Clio 182 cup or cooper S. The cooper S would be straight to Ray West racing, down the road from me for a supercharger upgrade, which is good for anything up to 240BHP. The clio would have similar mods by whoever does work on them to give at least 200bhp. Then it would be stripped bare, decent cage, harnesses, seats fitted, internal spray job, and ready to rock and roll.
The Clio for about £12K gives me £6K to have the work done, the cooper is more to buy but more BHP at the end.
I would flog the 205 and buy a sensible £2K car in its place.

What do you think? a good 182 / S with decent power, stripped and caged sounds interesting and should be useful on the track?

I could buy a caterfield but the 182 / S could also be used as an everyday car when the mood took me, not something I could do in the caterfield.

I also like the idea of having something nearly new from a reliablility viewpoint, and lightweight means easy on brakes etc.

No idea what and how I would be able to sell it on in a couple of years, but the recent track day climate would surely have people looking to get their hands on a well sorted car

what say you??? good or bad idea?

Can you get 200+ bhp from a 182 cup for 2 or 3K?

thanks in anticipation of your replies

Gary

For £6k get the K-Tech Turbo done and see approx 240BHP

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 28 November 2004

Well there is a 172 with Throttle Bodies for sale at the moment (MK2) 212bhp

its Fully stripped, but still has the factory Sat Nav, 2 Cobra buckets

£11grand

PM Roamer

all its needs is a cage, and coilovers
HELLO!!!!! This is perfect for what you want/need!!!!!!!!

Actually, roamers sounds a good option. if your really after big power and just to thrash it round a track why do u want a new car, get a couple of years old 172 and turbo it or something, surely that will give u a lot of power and you should have plenty of money considering your paying less to start off with. :) Bit of a hassle though

Quote: Originally posted by gutmann pug on 28 November 2004

You only want my pug coz it does 8.50s round the ring and you can kick westys arse in it .lol

didnt Clarkson overtake Westy in that diesel? ;)

Id get an Elise or a VX220.

Go and test drive them before you settle for a Clio. They are amazing on the track.

He wouldnt get a very good Elise for that money gedi, they are good but theyre too darn slow, brakes arent that good and generally a bit wimpish..

Id go with the E30 M3 or 968 CS.

-Rob