ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2002 1.2 16v - Starting Problems - Where to buy parts

1.2 16v Mk 2 Ph 2 Extreme
Hi guys

My 2002 1.2 16v is suffering from the following problems,

*Failure to start - Can take up to 8 times to get started but seems to start eventually
*Stalling while stationary - Cuts out at traffic lights etc and is lumpy while idle.
*Failure to start while warm - Sounds choked and shakes voilently while trying to start engine.

My black box at the back of the engine hasn't cut through the wires so I don't think its related to this. No engine management light on either.

I've read quite a few posts on these forums and the solutions seem to be replacement of Coolant temperature sensor, MAP sensor, TDC sensor, spark plugs, coil pack, ignition leads, along with cleaning of the throttle body.

Which do you recommend replacing first and where is the best place to get these parts from? I've had a look at GSF car parts but its difficult to see which parts are meant for this model car.

Thanks. :)

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Right well there plenty to do lol !

I WOULD NOT attempt changing any of the harder bits over yourself unless you are fuly confident with doing so.

The coil Pack and Leads are 1 unit and cost approx - £59 from Renault (only available from them)

Infact most of the parts you may need to change are from Renault only.

First thing i would do is get the car tested for any faults - either a Renault Clip Machine for full details or possibly a independant garage with OBD Scanning equipment.

Cleaning the throttle body is a long and tedious task on the 1.2 16v as you have to remove a lot of parts. Also be carefull as the throttle body is very expensive £450 ish

Coil Pack is a good start
Plugs
TDC sesnsor
MAP sensor
Throttle Body

But as you get further along the more expensive it will get.

Wiring loom suffers from cutting away, also a new updated ECU/Firmware was released from Renautl a while back.

The wiring loom also suffers from water ingress which is very difficult to see. No marks left as water stays withing wiring loom.

Getting the codes read (if any are stored) will give you a better understanding as to what is wrong.

Hello, thanks for your reply. :)

I took it to an independent a couple of months ago and he hooked it up to a machine and replaced the TDC sensor. This fixed the problem for approximately 2 days :(

My main worry about taking it back to the dealer is that they won't know whats wrong with it as well and I will get a hefty bill and no fix.

It looks like I will at least have to take it there and see if they can diagnose the problem using their computer.

Leon Cupra R 225
At some point everyone's on a mk2 will go wrong, I see a thread nearly everyday on this...'starting problems on an 02 16v etc..'

bloody Reno

By the way this is the state of my tamper proof box! I think I've found it just in time to stop the wires getting cut through. There could be water in there though. Also it looks as though I've lost half of it. Wheres the other side of the box and the lid? Anyone know how to tighten it back up? Thanks.

car2.jpg

At some point everyone's on a mk2 will go wrong, I see a thread nearly everyday on this...'starting problems on an 02 16v etc..'

bloody Reno

Your right. I would be trading mine in but it seems like such a waste and I just put new tyres on a couple of weeks ago!