ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2002 sport clio running on 3 cylinders, and sometimes just cutting in to four if u rev hard

clio mk2 sport 2002
I have changed leads plugs and solenoid but still no joy. Im thinking injector. Engine light is flashing, could it be removed by computer reader? ...sensor or injector?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
probably injector. do the following to test it:

Checking the injectors is pretty easy; simply unplug the electrical connector for each injector one at a time whilst the engine is running until you find the one that make no difference (the electrical connector has a metal bit you push in first, then it just pulls off), connecting them back up again when done.

When you find the one that make no difference, you want to swap it for one of the others to check if its the injector or coilpack/ht lead. To do this, remove the fuel rail as described above and swap injector 3 for injector 4. then put it back together and do the same unplugging the electrical connector test again. if the 'no effect' has moved to cylinder 4, then its the injector, else its the Coilpack/HT lead/spark plug. remember injector 1 is at the gearbox end and 4 is at the timing belt end.

Changing an injector is easy as well, unscrew the 2 bolts holding the rail on, disconnect fuel rail and then just pull the whole rail forward. All 4 injectors will just pull out of the manifold. Take the clip of the faulty injector, replace with new one and reverse the above. Its about 5mins work :smile: to make sure its actually an injector that's failed, do the above but instead of using a new injector, just swap 2 around and see if the fault move to that cylinder when running.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Mine did exactly this.
I changed coil pack, plugs, injectors and it wasn't until I fitted new leads it stopped.

edit:
If it turns out to be a coil pack, I've got a working one for sale.

PH2 172
I have changed leads plugs and solenoid but still no joy. Im thinking injector. Engine light is flashing, could it be removed by computer reader? ...sensor or injector?
What`s the soloinoid you changed?You need compression,spark & fuel for cylinder to fire,one of these is missing.

clio mk2 sport 2002
Thanks everyone. Im going to do the injector test first as i have changed everything else. Will let u know the outcome.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
As above could be one of a number of things, one thing you could test is the coil pack. have the car running and then using preferably plastic plyers remove one HT lead from the coilpack, you should be seeing sparks, repeat for each ht lead and you might find 3 spark and one doesnt. Dont electrocute yourself though, take precautions.

clio mk2 sport 2002
Om so i replaced the coil pack which did nothing to help.. after throwing my hammer around shouting "i hate the french" i decided that it must be the injectors. I pulled one at a time but it gets worse on each cylinder so i went and got some fuel injector cleaner and to my surprise it worked for about 10 mins and went crap again...should i add more additives? ?