ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2004 Clio 172 idling issue

2004 Clio 172
Hi,

New here so please don't shoot me just yet over the idle problem I have. I've spent hours looking over the net but have yet to find a conclusive solution. I've had this Clio for 3 months now, having been tucked up by the liar I purchased it from. Anyway here is my problem.

Car starts fine, drives fine. With no pattern relating to time or engine temp, the revs get really erratic going up and down between 1000 and 2000 rpm, just as if somebody is blipping the accelerator, Or, when not doing this, the car keeps stalling. So I purchased a second hand TPS from the bay from a 2005 182. Fitted that an initially all seemed well. Then the issue returned, albeit same as above, but now sometimes revs u on its own to 3000, sometimes 4000 revs and just sits there! I have to turn the engine off or it will probably creep all the way to the limiter!

I've checked the TB, which is clean and seems to operate freely - without sticking.

Anybody else had the above or can somebody say yes its going to be this solution etc..?

Thanks in advance.
Glynn

erratic revs/idle could be a number of things. Vac leak, failing injector(s), map sensor, coolant temp sensor, lambda sensor(precat usually) to name the more obvious ones on here. The throttle body could be clean visually but still faulty...

have you had any warning lights. Do you have a basic obd reader to see if there's any fault codes logged?

2004 Clio 172
erratic revs/idle could be a number of things. Vac leak, failing injector(s), map sensor, coolant temp sensor, lambda sensor(precat usually) to name the more obvious ones on here. The throttle body could be clean visually but still faulty...

have you had any warning lights. Do you have a basic obd reader to see if there's any fault codes logged?
No fault codes but now finally sorted. Replaced the TPS and all is well again..