ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2005 Volkswagen Golf Gti advice please!

Mk5 Golf Gti
Hi guys,
After finding out some pretty disastrous news about my Clio Sport 182, ive made the decision to get something completely different. A car I have always wanted but not been able to afford in the past its a 2005 Volkswagen Golf gti with pretty much every optional extra you could think of. The car in question has got the Factory fitted satnav/media centre, heated leather seats, 18inch monza wheels you name it!
Luckily someone very local to me is selling this car and its up for £6500, im after a bit of advice really from anyone who can help me out, is that a decent price?
77k miles, full vw service history (guy works for vw) cambelt replaced on 55k miles, will be getting a full service and valet before sale, its Black in the 3dr option with a manual 6 speed gear box!
Having a look around online, i genuinely cant find many if any at all that are around that price with this amount of miles and optional extras, what do you think? Going for a viewing tonight! :)

Cheers guys,
Joe

Mk5 Golf Gti
Oh no, Ive started this in completely the wrong section!! Can an admin please move this to the other marques or general chat section please! Sorry :s

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Seems a fair price for the mileage although I have seen them cheaper I must add

Mk5 Golf Gti
Seems a fair price for the mileage.

Think so? I think its a pretty fair price, they hold their value so well and a lot of the other ones im finding around that price dont have the optional extras or the history that this one has!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like you are sold on it already tbh. Personally for 6.5k I wouldn't be looking at MK5 GTi's and that's from someone with essentially the same car with 4 rings on the front.

Mk5 Golf Gti
I like these, bit more grown up cars.
Yeah im after something a bit more all round, loved my clio but my job means a lot of late night driving and sometimes quite long distance so i needed something slightly better on fuel and a bit comfier, but still a nice quick hatchback!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah im after something a bit more all round, loved my clio but my job means a lot of late night driving and sometimes quite long distance so i needed something slightly better on fuel and a bit comfier, but still a nice quick hatchback!
BMW 330i E90, 130i, 3MPS, R26. Loads of other options.
A MK5 will not be better on fuel than your clio. Far from it.

Listerine & Poledo
If it's got the kit you want, do it.

For 6.5k I'd be looking at something different, but then I don't share a taste in cars with many on here :)

Mk5 Golf Gti
Reason behind a golf is the Insurance is pretty decent too, where as I looked into 330i's & they were also a lot more expensive & expensive to insure. Don't want an r26, I do like the Mazda 3 MPS but prefer the golf over it!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Reason behind a golf is the Insurance is pretty decent too, where as I looked into 330i's & they were also a lot more expensive & expensive to insure. Don't want an r26, I do like the Mazda 3 MPS but prefer the golf over it!
If it's what you want then go for it buddy. Sounds a decent car and we all know what we like.
Expect 25-28mpg from one though. Oh and if you get it change the cam follower if it's not been done.

Mk5 Golf Gti
If it's what you want then go for it buddy. Sounds a decent car and we all know what we like.
Expect 25-28mpg from one though. Oh and if you get it change the cam follower if it's not been done.

Yeah my heart is pretty set on the Gti i believe, was just checking the knowledge of CS for some advice on the pricing etc! It will still be quick, plenty of tuning potential and will be extremely comfortable (compared to the clio cup) for longer journeys, okay mate! Anything else i should look out for?

Listerine & Poledo
What would you be looking at for 6.5k mate? :smile:
Leon Cupra R.
Mercedes C320 (petrol or diesel, don't care)
Ratty S2000
Import 350z
An MX-5 and a generic daily (something like a Golf Tdi)
Corolla Compessor

Something like that. I really have a general disgust of the BMW, Audi and VW, basically..... oh, and 99% of Clios (once bitten, forever nope)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah my heart is pretty set on the Gti i believe, was just checking the knowledge of CS for some advice on the pricing etc! It will still be quick, plenty of tuning potential and will be extremely comfortable (compared to the clio cup) for longer journeys, okay mate! Anything else i should look out for?
It will be slower than your clio unless mapped. PCV valves are common to go and cause excessive oil usage. Only cheap to replace and can be tested by removing the oil filler cap whist running. If it struggles but runs it's doing it's job, if it stalls it needs a new one.

Mk5 Golf Gti
Leon Cupra R would be nice, but again for some reason the insurance on those seem to much more than the golf! Still need something slightly practical to take audio equipment so that kinda cancels out the MX-5 and the S2000 :p I did look at a 350z, always had a soft spot for those but again insurance was very expensive...
All nice cars though mate :)

Mk5 Golf Gti
It will be slower than your clio unless mapped. PCV valves are common to go and cause excessive oil usage. Only cheap to replace and can be tested by removing the oil filler cap whist running. If it struggles but runs it's doing it's job, if it stalls it needs a new one.
Oh yeah i know it will be slower even having more power, i can deal with a slight decrease in power because im looking at potentially remapping and tuning the Golf a bit, but we will see about that! As for the price, and the mileage, and the fact its been owned by a vw technician with full service history etc, the optional extras, is the price reasonable or am i overpaying at 6.5k? :)

Brilliant, ill be sure to check those out!

Listerine & Poledo
Thats why I'm saying Mx-5 for fun, some sort of diesel generic machine with cruise control for the daily grind.

That way you have a proper car to tool about in, and another proper car for heavy lifting.

Instead of the jack-of-all-trades hot-hatch ;)

Mk5 Golf Gti
Problem is, and ill be honest! I rarely have the time to tinker and tool about with a car due to my hours of work on a night and during the day! I would rather be able to buy a car thats ready to go, doing everything I need it to without having to faff around! And having two cars would be great but we simply dont have space at my house for that :(

Listerine & Poledo
ah well, never mind.
If I had the funds to get a daily jalopy I would, immediately.
a Clio Initiale DCi and Listerine combo would be the cheapest all-purpose driveway I can imagine. Cost less than running Listerine as a 24/7 daily anyway!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I like having two cars. A half decent daily and a car I can appreciate for what it is. The fact I own both, no finance etc is a bonus

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Don't get me wrong I do mooch round at stuff. I'd love an r26, maybe one day. But the current set up suits me at the moment

Mk5 Golf Gti
Don't get me wrong I do mooch round at stuff. I'd love an r26, maybe one day. But the current set up suits me at the moment
Yeah i know what you mean, thing is I have always wanted a mk5 golf gti, literally for years! Something about them, and for what i want it for they seem perfect! Just going to view it tonight and see what its like!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Oh yeah i know it will be slower even having more power, i can deal with a slight decrease in power because im looking at potentially remapping and tuning the Golf a bit, but we will see about that! As for the price, and the mileage, and the fact its been owned by a vw technician with full service history etc, the optional extras, is the price reasonable or am i overpaying at 6.5k? :smile:

Brilliant, ill be sure to check those out!

It wont be much different unless its shagged !!
Mk5 Gti is a fantastic all round car ! :up:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I was only talking to my sisters fella about the gti. He fancies an r32 but I'd opt for the gti. As above they seem a great allrounder. Live once and all that jazz mate

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Never appealed to me, no idea why. They sound good though. I just 'think' the gti would be the better allrounder and dare say more fun. Never driven either so purely a guesstimation

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I recently got a GTi Edition 30 i know it has the 8l S3 engine with the k04 turbo as oposed to the k03 but largely the same i suppose.

I love it, they do everything well, fast, comfortable and mine does 34mpg on a run.

Its not as 'fun' as a Clio but thats a given. I didn't buy it to have the same sort of fun!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I recently got a GTi Edition 30 i know it has the 8l S3 engine with the k04 turbo as oposed to the k03 but largely the same i suppose.

I love it, they do everything well, fast, comfortable and mine does 34mpg on a run.

Its not as 'fun' as a Clio but thats a given. I didn't buy it to have the same sort of fun!
Yours maps to 300 out of the box, ours 240. There is a big difference. :(

Mk5 Golf Gti

Its a different kind of fun though isn't it, I cant quite afford an ED30 Gti, but none the less very similar car and the one im going to look at has all the optional extras you can think of, like you say very tuneable and a great all rounder! Have to say it does appeal to me, what do you think to the price im going to pay? (£6500 advertised, but i reckon if i threw him a £6250 bid he would take it) 77k miles, fsh?