ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2006 Budget Ouch for RS owners!

I'm even more gutted I could have saved myself £21 by only paying for half the year.
Goverment are ripping me of at the moment I could have paid £50 road fund.
Rant over ;-)

£50 road tax on my DCi80! Back of the net!

I really don't know why they don't put road tax on top of fuel duty, it would be so much fairer, pay for what you use, no admin costs for collecting it, and the more efficient your car is the less you pay.

edde said:
I'm even more gutted I could have saved myself £21 by only paying for half the year.
Goverment are ripping me of at the moment I could have paid £50 road fund.
Rant over ;-)

you are allowed to get a pro-rata refund on your existing tax, then re tax it again under the new scheme.

:)

DVLA WEBSITE said:
3) My tax rate has been reduced because of the Budget. Can I apply for a new disc at the reduced rate and then claim a refund on my current disc. How long will it take?
Yes. There is nothing to stop you applying for a refund on your current disc and relicensing at the new reduced rate from March 23rd. You can get a refund for each full calendar month still to run on the licence disc at the time you apply. If you require a refund on your current disc please use application form V14. V14’s are available for download from the forms page or from any Post Office® branch that issue tax discs and DVLA Local Offices. Your refund should be sent to you within 3 – 6 weeks

paul_h172 said:
if the roads were smooth and pot hole free maybe people wouldnt mind payin the extra cash

second that, roads surfaces near me are a bag of poo!!!

People's road tax money needs to be spent on re-surfacing the roads not re-lining the govo's pockets! :rolleyes:

polarbert said:
I heard that this new scheme was only for cars bought after 23/3/2006? Am I wrong?

the new scheme effects cars registered on or after 01/03/01.

the new bracket (G) only effects new cars registered after the date you quoted :)

Clio 182
fUbAr said:
LINK

and yes, you can :)

ta i found it in the end, it wouldn't let me... put in the reg and V5 ref no and it said for my class of vehicle, i could not buy it online... :S f*****s... im so pissed off with the increase.

Maz

LY 200
Ahhhhhhhhhh feck it .. not worth getting p!ssed off about imho ..

I think we are all used to paying good money out for driving on sh!t roads .... :mad: lol

Marie :D

106 GTi
Time for another 205 GTi I think, this time with an Mi engine I think, despite being more unhealthy to the environment, it will be cheaper to tax!

Makes lots of sense doesn't it Mr Chancellor ....

J

Jim NM

It's the same with thr renault 5GTT they have no cat as you will know, 1.4L Turbo charged engine which produces more carbon (not sure of figures) early ones designed to use 4 star and only £110 R/Tax per annum. The government really haven't looked at this in depth. Plonkers !!!

Clio 172 mk2
I don't se the f**king logic in the taxing system..surely it should be done on petrol or how much you actually use the roads.

I drive my 172 once, twice a week and cycle to work so how come if it's all about the environment I pay the same in tax as someone in a guzzler commuting to work everyday polluting the atmosphere far, far more.

Complete nonsense

The Jinx
You don't pay the same tax. If they use more fuel, which they will if they do more miles, then they pay more tax.

Probably quite a lot more at 60p/l as well.

Ford Fiesta ST2
So cars registered before 1/3/2001 the taxes stay the same? The DVLA website doesn't make it very clear.

Also is it calculated by the V5 only, as I know for a fact my emissions aren't great with the new exhaust and stuff?

Cheers

Alex

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
:mad: Its stupid, my boss who owns a Jag XKR 4.0 Supercharge only pays £175 with the new tax system. I on the other had own a Clio 2.0 182 and now get charged £190.:mad:

Wheres the common sense in that, the Jag pushes a hell of alot more emisson out compared to my newer Clio.

All this cr*p that Blair and Brown come out with, regards the fact that they want car manufactures to make more enviromentally friendly cars, in return they will give cheaper tax, its not the new cars destroying the earth try upping the tax on the old cars which push out more emission.

Oh i forgot it must be the fact that Brown and Blair belive that just because i have the money to buy a new car, it means i have the extra cash to cover the costs of the old sh*t boxes on the road which pollute the atmosphere more than the new cars.

We live in a very unfair country, where the people who look like they have money get stung. I find it difficult at the moment to run the car, what with Petrol prices been high. An extra £25 on road tax is a bit of an ar*e ache. IF the roads reflected what we all pay in road tax, ie more like are European counterparts, I may not have as much of a problem, but until the day that i can drive to work without having to dodge pot holes, I still have a problem.

GRUMBLE OVER:D

I got my tax last night online as it's due this month, managed to get the pre budget price. The french s**t box will be gone by the time it needs to be renewed so it doesn't bother me, £190 road tax is a bit of p*ss take though!

106 GTi
SteveC047 said:
:mad: Its stupid, my boss who owns a Jag XKR 4.0 Supercharge only pays £175 with the new tax system. I on the other had own a Clio 2.0 182 and now get charged £190.:mad:

My thoughts excatly, pre cat 1992 - non cat, running carbs or bodies is the way forward then! Plus it will be 15 quid cheaper

Last edited:
  Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
sharkaroo said:
Vote conservative next vote i think!!

I did unfortuantly it was the other muppets that went Labour.:D

In all honesty, it would of made no difference what so ever. Road tax is the eaisist way to get cash from the general public, we all need it to be legal.

The Jinx
All this talk of it not being fair that older cars are taxed differently: dry your eyes.;)

They have to draw a line somewhere otherwise you could argue that everyone has to have their emissions tested whenever they make mods to their engines as well.

That would be an admin nightmare.

The Jinx
Too right. I'm going to check my emmissions test data from the MOT tonight and be a smug git.:evil:

I know the other halfs Xsara VTS is listed at 215g/km but it's pre-2001 as well.:D

106 GTi
Swervin_Mervin said:
All this talk of it not being fair that older cars are taxed differently: dry your eyes.;)

The point is it just shows the system is flawed when I can tax less enviromentally friendly cars for cheaper.

Old 4 litre car it is then for me as a daily drive then!

for god sakes £25 over 365 days is only 6.5p per day! stop pissing yourselves!

yes I drive a 1.2 but most people on here wouldnt think twice of blowing £25 on half a night out!

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
Thats not the point Yorkie.

The point is how can you say its fair when one person drives a 4.0 supercharged Jag and pays £175 (£5 increase) and another drives a 55 plate 2.0 16 Clio and pays £190.

£25 is not that much when you break it down to how much you pay a day, but its the way they have dished out the price increases that is unfair.

106 GTi
Exactly it's not the fact how much is gone up by or the facts £25 quid over a year - and works out at very little per day, its a fact the system is w@nk that cleaner cars are now paying more than dirtier cars just because of year of manufacture.

The Jinx
Read my above post. They cannot change the system to say all cars are based on emmissions. It would cost more than they'd make. Not only that but then all us old car drivers would then ask why they don't base all tax on each individual car hence mods leading to an increase.

Vote Conservative? Yeah - another Black Wednesday and high inflation / interest rates please. That'll put a minor car tax rise into perspective.

I'm glad to see Day's graph showing how motoring is relatively cheaper than at any time in modern memory. Sure, fuel and tax are always on the up - but everything else motoring-wise is going down.

I love interesting and stimulating cars, but am under no impression that I "deserve" or have "the right" to pay anything less than the full cost of my motoring. People quite rightly want to spend their money in the way they wish, but protesting (in effect) that motoring should be a stable cost - free of political and economic pressures - is just bananas. Enjoy motoring, but realise that personal mobility by way of anything but your own feet is not a right! You put yourself in the way of monetary bad luck by owning a car and you know it!

Let the quality of the debate here be more considered than simple one liners of self-interest - there's a lot more to a Budget, fiscal policy, world economics and personal mobility than "money grabbing". ;)

Last edited: