ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2008: My Year in Picures and Videos

172 Race Car
Burp's 2008 Review

Back in January I decided that I'd like to do more trackdays. Up until that point I'd only done a few of Clarkie's airfield sprint days in my phase2 172.

188143410_oXU3b-M.jpg

It was our main car and I didn't want to track what was, at the time, a very tidy example that was still worth reasonable money. My Mrs had an old fiesta for work.

DSCF0654.gif

I came up with an idea to get her a better car, to use as the main one, and get myself an older and cheaper phase1 to knock around in. As I don't use a car for work it ment I could start to mod it a little without any restrictions.

I had originally intended to get one as near as stock as possible and change it slowly. But I did a very good deal with Dan for his 'W' plate titanium phase1 172

IMAGE_163.jpg

and traded the Fiesta for a 206 HDI for the Mrs.

The car was already stripped of interior and had buckets, harness' and an ex-msv cage fitted. So the plan had changed slightly.

IMAGE_157.jpg

With no events or activities planned until the 2nd weekend in March I set about tidying up the car a little. This soon turned into major surgery as the complete dash came out, all unnecessary bits of wiring loom cut off, sound proofing removed, tar scraped off, the interior painted and Custom door panels made with mondeo electric window switches.

IMAGE_225.jpg

IMAGE_226.jpg

IMAGE_251.jpg

IMAGE_297.jpg

IMAGE_313.jpg

IMAGE_328.jpg

IMAGE_336.jpg

IMAGE_365.jpg

IMAGE_431.jpg

IMAGE_432.jpg

The car passed its mot on the 28th of feb with only the 'tw@t strip' needing to be removed as it was touching the wipers. It then had an oil change and tracking check, ready for its first weekend out.

IMAGE_409.jpg

IMAGE_411.jpg

IMAGE_418.jpg

On 8th of march I went down to the Surrey rolling road day, organised by Saner. The car made a measly 143bhp @fly. I had a feeling there was something wrong before, it ran fine but didn't pull as well as my old one.

IMAGE_433.jpg

This later turned out to be a badly fitted cambelt.

The next day it was down to Smetharpe in Devon for the cliosport airfield sprint day. In damp conditions I raised a few eyebrows (mostly from Markcup) with the time managed, considering my power disadvantage and a sticking clutch ratchet. I also scared the crap out of Schweppy :D

264702321_zfn3X-M.jpg

263794094_7EwxD-M.jpg

On the third run, with Ph-reebone on board, I clipped something & split a tyre.
Game over early.

A few days later, a parcel arrived. It was the dash top I'd sent off to be flocked.

IMAGE_451.jpg

IMAGE_453.jpg

IMAGE_454.jpg

Next up I had planned to do a track session at the castle coombe action day. But had to cancel as the aux belt tensioner bearing had started to give up, it wasn't worth the risk. So it was a perfect time to sort the cambelt out.

So on went a new knock sensor, cambelt, tensioner kit and both cam pulleys.

IMAGE_554.jpg

To bin the a/c compressor setup, I sourced a Volvo alternator, Volvo pas pump and had a custom pipe made.

IMAGE_573.jpg

All this transformed the performance. It was now so much more lively and willing to rev.

I already had two track sessions booked at 'The french car show' and decided to do the Renaultsport evening at Bedford the month before.

In preparation I had fitted and had set up some H&R coilovers. They had been in a box in the car when I got it.

IMAGE_594.jpg

IMAGE_596.jpg

IMAGE_663.jpg

I'd also fitted a prospeed exhaust I'd kept from my old phase2. This ment I also had to swap to the later type cat too.

IMAGE_624.jpg

It was the first time I'd been on a 'proper' race track in about 10 years and I was bricking it. Kindly, Tony Hunter had come along to give me some advice and we had a very enjoyable evening. With only 2 grassy moments.

2498274006_82420e5b81.jpg

IMAGE_667.jpg

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2wMpBC4mLZY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2wMpBC4mLZY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9sPjTBoLTdU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9sPjTBoLTdU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Next up was fcs. I was feeling much more relaxed about it after doing Bedford.

IMAGE_746.jpg

Barron passenger'd in the first session, which was red flagged part way through and MaceV6 was in for the second. It was very windy that day and the banked turn one was a very 'clench' inducing corner.

Had some good fun following mrmahoosive for a few laps.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w9doqH2ma5A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w9doqH2ma5A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Two days after fcs, me and Tony went to Curbourgh sprint course, with another car forum I was a member of.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LABHAhZFGug&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LABHAhZFGug&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

The tight nature of the track highlighted the cars tendency to understeer. We experimented with tyre pressures to try and help and even took out the abs fuse to dramatic effect! (sent Tony out as test driver;))

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nlH2QJc4NT8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nlH2QJc4NT8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Has me in stitches that video, he ended up bouncing across the grass.

After speaking to a local Subaru and motorsport tuner, I changed to stiffer rear springs to try and help with the understeer. The difference was noticeable right away, even at slow speeds on the road. But the real test would be next time on track.

IMAGE_027.jpg

IMAGE_030.jpg

At this point I made up a cheap custom induction kit that sounds amazing!

IMAGE_008.jpg

(^ unfinished pic)

Bored one Sunday in August, I went to meet up with Jon13S and Anim@l in Bristol.

We decided to just jump in the cars and head over to the Black Mountains in Wales for a scenic drive and some photos.

029.jpg

I made up a video of the trip and I think it came out quite well.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a8xjmzt6-1A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a8xjmzt6-1A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I decided to get one more trackday in, before the tax ran out at the end of August. I wasn't going to re-tax it over the winter.

Oulton park with Renaultsport on the 20th of August was the chosen day. Tony was guest driver again and apart from him getting lost on the first lap, and me having a few passenger scaring moments, the day went smoothly and the car was much improved.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D2j-NSdODek&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D2j-NSdODek&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Although the same cannot be said for the tyres......

IMAGE_042.jpg

The following Saturday was day many had been waiting for. A rolling road day I had organised at 'PowerStation' in Tewkesbury. Now we would see how much power the car had gained back after I'd done the cambelt.

I would of been happy with a result of around 165-170bhp as the engine is fairly standard. On the first run it made a brilliant 174bhp and I was very pleased.

The induction kit does suffer from a bit of heat soak, not a problem on track with plenty of airflow, so the rolling road operator said he thought it had a little bit more to give. Second run and a result of 175.2bhp @6905rpm with 148.5lbf @5565rpm.
Very happy and gives a good base for the future.

Vid of it on the rollers

So the end of August, the tax ran out and declared it sorn. Any more mods were on hold while I saved for my wedding. Or so it should of been, I knew I wouldn't leave it alone for long. As long as I didn't spend any/too much money I could still mod.

Ripping out the last remains of the aircon, an lump of iron from under the engine mount and some more tar ment another 15kgs gone.

IMAGE_077.jpg

IMAGE_130.jpg

I modified the wiper mount point to get a Citroen AX wiper linkage in, freeing up some space under the scuttle & saving abit more weight.

IMAGE_173-1.jpg

IMAGE_184.jpg

IMAGE_183.jpg

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TqL0xrlr88k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TqL0xrlr88k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

The cage has been sold to free up some funds and the seats sold because they were too wide for me & quite heavy. So this is how the car currently is.......

IMAGE_158-1.jpg

What will 2009 bring? Well, hopefully plenty more trackdays. I'd like to get to most of the Renaultsport ones if I can as I'd rather spend my limited budget enjoying driving the car now. Obviously I need to buy something to sit on and a new clutch will be going in over the winter too.

Thanks to everyone who have been following the cars progress and given advice, and big thanks to everyone who helped get the car to where it is today in one way or another. Bomber, Anim@l, Justin-172, Schweppy, Tony Hunter, Curtis at powerstation, my mate John, my Bro and my very understanding wife to be......

Link to the full progress thread HERE

Burp

-
great project.

just a quick one though, why spend all that time stripping every little bit of extra weight, sound deadening etc then put the complete dash back in?

SchwepTek™
Fantastic!

That 1st pic of your flamer on track is mint.

I dont need to say anything about the ph1 seeing as i was speechless when you took me around Rockingham in it!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Wish i could get through your project thread as quickly as this to find info :rasp:

Looking good mate ;), you coming to surrey rolling road in January? fingers crossed my PH1 is ready to hit the rollers:approve:

172 Race Car
great project.

just a quick one though, why spend all that time stripping every little bit of extra weight, sound deadening etc then put the complete dash back in?
coz it looks s**t without/with only part of it in. If you read my thread there are some pics of th dash in bits

I dont need to say anything about the ph1 seeing as i was speechless when you took me around Rockingham in it!
Sory I dont remember that

Wish i could get through your project thread as quickly as this to find info :rasp:

Looking good mate ;), you coming to surrey rolling road in January? fingers crossed my PH1 is ready to hit the rollers:approve:
No wont be going in january, not enough time/funds to get it back on the road again by then

172 Race Car
ah right thats cool just wondered without me sifting through the threads.
in the ideal world id like a real minimalist one like a cup racer. but starting with a road car means that there is a huge amount of wiring loom behind the dash. Will be putting a phase 2 dash in it next year, will trim off as much as possible.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
very good car with some very inventive ideas :) will never forget getting taken round rockingham which made me want to track mine even more.

good work Burp.

carl

ITB'd 182...
good little read!

would be interested to see how much of a diffrence the custom rear springs made.

love the Burpspeed ph-quick mobile!

182cup & 172 racecar
Nice to see and feel the cars progress,I remember Jay being a wee bit nervous the afternoon he picked me up for the trip to Bedford,the evening went well with him gaining more confidence each time around the forgiving circuit of the autodrome.

Next for me was Curbourgh sprint track,this was the first time I had chance to drive the beast,what was soon apparent was the unwillingness to "turn in" and this caused much fun during the day which has been well scribed elsewhere.This made Jays performance at Bedford even more creditable with a car that handled in such a way.(NEVER REMOVE THE ABS FUSE)

After the spring changes Oulton park loomed upon us.What a transformation!,the car now felt "safe" to drive.By this I mean it didn't want to understeer into the armco and had a little bit of oversteer when asked for,this for me was the perfect set up to feel totally in control,so well done Jay for getting this sorted.
What I was seeing now was a cool calm and collected Mr Burp,who was now enjoying himself out on track with a car that was a pleasure to drive.

So well done Jay,all your hard work has been worth it during the year,and look forward to next year,what will it bring I wonder?
Again thank you for letting me loose in RHO

R56 JCW
Jay awesome write up mate the car is immense, cant wait for next years track days, im there with u as pass and also a fellow track'er ;) (up ya ass)

Do you remember what i said when u took me round Oulton??

ITB'd 182...
Jay awesome write up mate the car is immense, cant wait for next years track days, im there with u as pass and also a fellow track'er ;) (up ya ass)

Do you remember what i said when u took me round Oulton??

i hope it was'nt that:eek:

M

mini-valver

Good write up mate. Love this car, so many awesome little touches, in particular the wiper set-up. Genuinely nice bloke too :D

I'll be on track next year, if mine ever decides to love me.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
awwww man brings a tear to my eye.... it's a clio adventure... and i'm sure you will have another little update very soon ;)

ah hem have i not been following your progress sir???! lol

Nikon D700
great read mate... haven't been round on here much, but love this project!!

Wanna buy my seats/harnesses? Thinking of selling...