ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200's in the snow....

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I know it's probably a bit far off yet, but I've been sorting through snow logistics at work this morning & it got me thinking... Are the 200's any good in the snow? I've not driven one before in the snow only a 172 cup which to be fair was pretty good IMO.

A few guy's I know have said the 200's are pretty poor? I've driven in the snow many times with no trouble "touch wood"

I can't see why they would be much different to most other FWD cars.

My old 182 was fine.

Not driving to the road conditions is the main reason there are accidents, nothing to do with the cars.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I thought it should be alright, I'm fine in the snow to be fair other people worry me more so.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
90% of all cars are the same on snow. It's people not driving to the conditions that's the issue.

Being a light, front-drive hatch, it'll be fine. Just don't drive like it's July.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
In today's market, that's a flyweight.

A Mk6 Golf is firmly in e39 territory almost, nowadays. :dapprove:

You'll probably be fine. You look after your car. You like your car. You'll take extra care, leave plenty of space, leave home earlier to allow more time. All fine.

Sadly you're not the only person on the road. Which is why when it snows (very rarely here) then my car won't move.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
its usually 4x4 drivers round here trying to go too quick and loosing it, overconfidence and isolation from the road are the main problems.

I used to have a mk3 polo on 145 tyres, that was epic in the snow! the Clio's, not so much, but as above if you take it easy and don't put yourself in a position where you have to rush, you'll be fine.

I hope this winter isn't as bad as the last couple, I've never yet not made it to work but the snow can get pretty savage here

and agree on the 200 weight thing, I can actually feel the gravitational pull when I drive my mk1 past one ;)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Will be fine I'd imagine mate, my old 182 on 205's was no problem.

Really not looking forward to the snow/salt in my mk1 though, I need to sort out a weekend to underseal it really.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Will be fine I'd imagine mate, my old 182 on 205's was no problem.

Really not looking forward to the snow/salt in my mk1 though, I need to sort out a weekend to underseal it really.

I took the turbo to the ace café one winter, it snowed on way home and obviously salt all over. this was the only run out in winter I have ever done in it and I joke not when I say all my freshly painted subframe/wishbones/driveshafts etc etc got absolutely ruined...............thankfully it was waxoyled so the tinrot didn't set in fully but I was gutted! must powdercoat next time!lol!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Flol. I really need to get it done then, as it will be my daily over winter. It's currently completely rust free, and I intend to keep it like that...

Yes, I have taken my brave pills. :dapprove:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
What's a jack?

I'll start a thread when I'm going to do it. Should be entertaining for anyone reading.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
If we get it bad I won't even bother trying to get to work, I live in the sticks & my work is even more so! Not worth having some t*t lock up & park it in the back of my car for the sake of a days wage tbh.

Not to mention the blocks of ice that gather in the middle of the road spanking my front bumper to death. No thanks.

Nissan 350z
I used mine everyday last winter without any issues, as Harphem says just dont be a mong and keep it low revs in a high gear if the road is coated over. I couldnt park it on my drive though, it doesnt like snow covered driveways on hills lol (when i did eventually park it on the drive a passing motorist came and knocked on the door asking me to move the car as it had slid down and was now blocking the road :quiet:)

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I used mine everyday last winter without any issues, as Harphem says just dont be a mong and keep it low revs in a high gear if the road is coated over. I couldnt park it on my drive though, it doesnt like snow covered driveways on hills lol (when i did eventually park it on the drive a passing motorist came and knocked on the door asking me to move the car as it had slid down and was now blocking the road :quiet:)

Brown moment!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Flol. I really need to get it done then, as it will be my daily over winter. It's currently completely rust free, and I intend to keep it like that...

Yes, I have taken my brave pills. :dapprove:

I would definitely make a plan to powdercoat the whole front suspension/subframe assembly chap if you want it mint come summer next year, mines still ditched from that escapade but I've kind of drifted from the keep it mint to the track the hell out of it and see what goes pop! lol!

GT 86
As others have said I drove mine all through the winter last year as its my daily drive. I just took my time and drove like steady Eddie, its the other idiots on the roads you need to watch especially as someone pointed out the chelsea charriot brigade in their Ive got a 4 x 4 go anywhere in any weather cars. They seem to think 4 x 4 means they can drive like fools in any weather.

Fiesta ST2
my 197 was great in the snow. Left TC on if you get stuck just nail it and tc will slowly pull you out of the snow. Couldn't fault it tbh. Going to leave the 350z in the drive if it snows this year.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
This winter coming is set to be the coldest in 350 years apparently. I f**king hope not. Gets colder every year I reckon.

Last edited:

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Where did you get that info from mate? The year before last was pretty brutal down our way.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Bloke in work. He s**t hot knowing the weather and is right most of the time. If it rains it means he looses money so his info has got to be spot on. But I so hope he's wrong. Can do without all this winter s**t.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

Lol id have cried!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
my 197 was great in the snow. Left TC on if you get stuck just nail it and tc will slowly pull you out of the snow. Couldn't fault it tbh. Going to leave the 350z in the drive if it snows this year.

Cheers :approve: the tc on these is really good I've found. Didn't think it'd be able to do that though.

Megane r26
My old 197 was sound in the snow, handbrake stuck on but I don't think that had anything to do with the snow as it seems a common fault with them.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've used mine in all weather and not had any problems. Went to Northumberland and back this week in all the rain and it never missed a beat as always. If it snows then just drive sensibly and don't brake suddenly.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
my 182 was simply brilliant in the snow..until i got into my road where it was deep untouched snow and it got stuck 6 feet from my hosue but that was good enough. was impressed