ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200T EDC Secondary CAT delete Emissions

Clio RS 200T
Hello,

Yes yes I know a hot topic of much discussion however, I've done a search and have not found a definitive answer.

I know removing the center silencer will not affect an MOT emissions test but will also removing the secondary CAT (just before the center silencer) fail?

I need to know those that have done it and passed no problem. Iv'e had de-cats in the past and it was a ball ache swapping them back in every year for MOT time. This is my first car with 2 CAT's so I'm in unfamiliar waters.

I happy to chop the silencer but a ? lies over the second cat and I may as well get them done at the same time.

Please don't eye roll too much at another exhaust thread but hopefully it will serve others in need of the same answer.

Thanks

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
Yes it will fail an MOT for the lack of a CAT, if one was fitted from factory then it has to be present at the test.

Having said that your average MOT tester might not know the 200T has two cats, and if one is clearly present he might not realise the other is missing?
(depends on how the exhaust looks when it's been removed though, he'll notice a total hatchet job)

You might be better off removing the front CAT though?
Supersprint do a de-cat pipe, with the undertray in place it might not even be visible.

Clio RS 200T
Yes it will fail an MOT for the lack of a CAT, if one was fitted from factory then it has to be present at the test.

Having said that your average MOT tester might not know the 200T has two cats, and if one is clearly present he might not realise the other is missing?
(depends on how the exhaust looks when it's been removed though, he'll notice a total hatchet job)

You might be better off removing the front CAT though?
Supersprint do a de-cat pipe, with the undertray in place it might not even be visible.

I could take the risk with the supersprint pipe. But I wonder if emissions would ever be effected...

2014 Clio 200t edc
I always thought the second cat could be removed and the emissions would stay the same due to the larger front cat. I'd be tempted to have both second cat and silencer chopped out and say you removed the silencer. If it passes the emissions they won't be any the wiser.

Clio RS 200T
I always thought the second cat could be removed and the emissions would stay the same due to the larger front cat. I'd be tempted to have both second cat and silencer chopped out and say you removed the silencer. If it passes the emissions they won't be any the wiser.

This is my dilemma!

I'm 100% taking out the silencer and I'm reasonably confident an MOT tester wouldn't notice the second CAT's removal. It's just the god awful emissions part, for as long as I've owned cars I've battled with emissions. Self inflicted I know...

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
My Trophy just has a straight pipe from the 1st cat all the way to the rear silencer. Bare in mind mine has the optional Akra exhaust, which removes any centre silencer from factory, and I believe the face mlift cars only have a single cat unless it related to the Akra?

As for getting through an MOT your most important concern is getting through emissions. Mentioned already a catalytic converter that's been removed where fitted from factory is indeed a failure. The tricky part is proving that!

If your going to cut the cat, and weld in some obvious straight section with a lambda sensor just threaded into a pipe (if it even has one that far along) then your begging for it to fail.

Fit a good quality centre section, that doesn't look bodged and I think you'll be absolutely fine.

P.S I'm an MOT tester ?

It will be your risk though mate, but that's the price we pay for modifying our cars!

Clio RS 200T
A whole centre section replacement seems sensible. That way I could still at least do the dreaded 12 monthly swap...

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
A whole centre section replacement seems sensible. That way I could still at least do the dreaded 12 monthly swap...

Get one fitted mate, and pop down to your local MOT station. Get them to chuck it on the gas analyser, You can see whether it would pass emissions then.