ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2012 BMW M5

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Evo 8 Jap Crap
Cant wait for this :cool:

The 2012 M5 is expected to make its world public debut at the 2011 Frankfurt IAA autoshow in September 2011 (probably with a reveal a few months earlier than September) and will be powered by a tweaked version of the S63 V8 twin turbo motor from the X5M/X6M, good for what we believe will be 585-600hp.

bmw-m5-1.jpg

bmw-m5-2.jpg

bmw-m5-4.jpg

bmw-m5-5.jpg

bmw-m5-6.jpg

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Love it. Will be funny money.

See bmw are moving away from n/a engines in M cars. However, this will inevitably help co2 and tax crap.

Bet it will be a bloody fortune and fairly crappily spec'd as per

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
:dapprove:

M Division should be NA.

They'll announce it'll be specced with runflats and EPS, next.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Officially the 1st sign of the death of the true M-car? Maybe they'll surprise us, if they can make the 1M as good as it's meant to be, maybe they've nailed turbo's?

White clique
Why is everyone so obsessed with N/A M cars?

Manufacturers move on - you must as well.

This looks a lovely car!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Why is everyone so obsessed with N/A M cars?

Manufacturers move on - you must as well.

This looks a lovely car!

Manufacturers are only moving on because they're being nudged that way by Brussels.

M Div. products are all about response. Something that's hard to perfect with forced induction.

White clique
Manufacturers are only moving on because they're being nudged that way by Brussels.

M Div. products are all about response. Something that's hard to perfect with forced induction.

And their customers. Believe it or not, some customers want efficiency and poke, which is being achieved by manufacturers these days, BMW are responding. They cannot keep appealing to customers with crap MPG. Its a great marketing message to the customers (not Brussels) when you can say, "hey have 0-60 in 4.5 and get over 30mpg" or whatever.

I think its a great move.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

I agree. There's a reason that M has sold more than AMG/RS. They are purer, without compromising the everyday aspect of the cars. Lose the purity, their usp, and you're left with a range that looks worse than the Audi/Merc competition, and can't get close in terms of build quality. Added that most journo's are now saying the AMG cars have better steering than the M-products, and why would you pick one?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Like I said, M Division normally turn water into wine. So maybe they will make a lazy hairdryer of a lump, fun.

White clique
Just as a comparrison, the Z4 sDrive 35is (not even an M, but they arent making one anyway) is faster around Hockenheim, ring Knutstrop and Autozeituning than the Z4M. This is obviously the new turbo engine.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Just as a comparrison, the Z4 sDrive 35is (not even an M, but they arent making one anyway) is faster around Hockenheim, ring Knutstrop and Autozeituning than the Z4M. This is obviously the new turbo engine.

alis outside as we speak with petrol and swan vestas....

197 FF Glacier White
I don't like it. I don't like BMWs full stop to be fair, but I have a bit of a hard on for the old E30 M3, does it for me! That thing at the beginning of this thread just looks like any BMW saloon but with Chav wheels.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
whats with all the swirls? never understood that, is it something that stops the camera focusing properly?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
A 335 estate would be quicker than a basic Elise 99% of the time. But that misses the point.

It will probably be quicker, but the ultimate speed has never been the primary M division focus, they've left the vulgarities of chasing silly number to AMG.

I understand what you're saying, but the purity (or the impression of purity) is a massive factor in M sales. This is not consumer driven. If 90% of buyers said they wanted NA, the coming legislation wouldn't allow it. In the future, with enough research etc higher comp petrol NA engines will come back.

There's a reason that you see so many M cars on track, they are the enthusiasts choice. At the moment.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
With 600 bhp and its usual bunch of toys to help you drive it,im sure it will be awsome

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

LOL. That's not a fair comparison at all.

The BiTurbo six is a monster. S54 lumps aren't the most rich in torque. Also, have you seen the layout of Hockenheim? Favours the newer car considerably.

And also, lap times have nothing to do with what M Division's about, or at least what it was founded on. Purity.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Just seen Warren's post echoing what I said above.

Proper petrolhead. Must be a height thing.

I suspect Dave is also shorter than average.

White clique
A 335 estate would be quicker than a basic Elise 99% of the time. But that misses the point.

It will probably be quicker, but the ultimate speed has never been the primary M division focus, they've left the vulgarities of chasing silly number to AMG.

I understand what you're saying, but the purity (or the impression of purity) is a massive factor in M sales. This is not consumer driven. If 90% of buyers said they wanted NA, the coming legislation wouldn't allow it. In the future, with enough research etc higher comp petrol NA engines will come back.

There's a reason that you see so many M cars on track, they are the enthusiasts choice. At the moment.

Purists have only dodged turbos due to turbo lag and therefore delayed throttle response, we'll have to see (and drive) one of these to be able to comment on whether the turbos effect the driving experience or not - and I have a hunch that they won't.

LOL. That's not a fair comparison at all.

The BiTurbo six is a monster. S54 lumps aren't the most rich in torque. Also, have you seen the layout of Hockenheim? Favours the newer car considerably.

And also, lap times have nothing to do with what M Division's about, or at least what it was founded on. Purity.

Why is it not a fair comparrison? Its the replacement model - and actually the new Z4 weighs almost 100kg MORE so perheps you are right, its not a fair comparrison at all!!

Just FYI, and i know you all know this (of course), but the M brand was developed in the 70s (M1) - the commercial models were in fact a resricted version of the racing models - which were TURBOS!

Anyway back to the M5.... i'll wait to see a direct comparison to the old model (which people will say is not a fair comparison) before i decide.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
LOL @ the turbo reference. That carries no weight. Dude, I'm not sure why you're so defensive, but all we're saying is that it's much harder to make a M Car with forced induction. If anyone can do it, M Div. can.

It's just a shame to see the end of the NA M cars. That's all.

Modern turbos are b****cks.

On off 1980s power for the fcuking win or NA. M cars should always be NA powered, this is a fcuking travesty! I dont care if its good. As far as I'm concerned, the V10 and V8 were the last of their breed. RIP.

If it must be turbo bring back the C1J pushrod 1.4 8v turbo in the r5 GT Turbo. Literally no power then all the power for the win.

Sort of point in question.......the mk5 golf gti, which I recently drove...dull dull dull, felt like a powerful NA engine without the excitement of 'coming on cam' sensation. Gash.

Status
Not open for further replies.