ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2012 Retina Macbook Pro

I had a mess around with one today. The screen is sensational, but not good enough for me to forgive the overall failings. I had my credit card in my holster, and I didn't buy it. Still, I suppose for every sale they've lost, they've gained another two.

The MagSafe 2 connector is nice. Also, I switched it straight to effective 1920x1200 and it looked a hundred times better than Fisher Price 1440x900. Really impressed with the screen.

Ok so how about:

Keep the 17" for work.

Buy a Retina MBP for being awesome with.

Buy a Retina iPad for being awesome in bed with.

Deal or no deal?

I was blown away by the 1900x1200 setting. I was expecting it to look non-native, but it was incredible. Not really sure why Apple imply that the scaled resolutions suffer. They don't.

Suffers with speed rather than quality. The highest res is exceptionally good, my Dads never leaves that mode anymore. You can feel strain on the GPU but not enough to worry about. It's really is an exceptional piece of kit.

Bus w**ker
I was blown away by the 1900x1200 setting. I was expecting it to look non-native, but it was incredible. Not really sure why Apple imply that the scaled resolutions suffer. They don't.

When I went in to play with one at Bullring, I've never been so glad to have left my credit card at home on my desk before. Truly stunning, I'm still hanging on for an iMac update.

I didn't notice any performance drop at '1920x1200' but I was of course only messing around in Finder and Settings.

Such an incredibly desirable piece of machinery. I so wish my personal requirements for such a device were not so exacting. I probs need to just get pissed, and leave the credit card on the coffee table. It's the only solution.

Revels Mum & Sister
They are lovely Roy I vote you get an iPad and Macbook.

I am out though with the Macbook. I already have the MBP from last year and spending an extra £1100 to upgrade ouch. Would rather a Planet X carbon frame and a electronic Ultegra Groupset. But they are Epic none the less

Been hearing about those electronic shifters through the TDF coverage. Pretty impressive.

I also already have an iPad, but it's the pauper-spec non-retina :(

You're not really going to get a new iPad just because of the screen!?

Im typing this on my mum's iPad 2, and I'm not exactly wishing the screen was any better tbh.

And you won't. Until you use the retina screen for a while and go back.

Then it makes you feel like you've got cataracts.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
as much as it pains me to admit, the new ipad is leagues ahead of the 2. even my anti apple mate bought one because it looked pretty!

I've always been disappointed with the iPad screen, even before Retina. Then again, I don't do council spec dpi. Never have. Regretted buying a 13" MBP about five seconds after opening the lid :(

The iMac and MBP certainly dont need retina screens though, you're just not close enough to see the difference I find. They've just done it because they can and it's a big selling point.

(assuming the new iMac has retina displays)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I agree with Dan tbh. Having the rMBP at my usual working distance from me I didnt really see any "massive" difference in the screen quality. Up close yes but not at a reasonable working distance.

Its the same with the iMacs. They are computers you site at least 2 feet away from so at that distance having the screen Retina holds no major advantages.

Doesnt stop me wanting a rMBP though.

Tesla MP3 2021
Been hearing about those electronic shifters through the TDF coverage. Pretty impressive.

I also already have an iPad, but it's the pauper-spec non-retina :(

I had Ultegra Di2 in my hands ready to go but couldn't get it to work on my bike :(

b75dc8bb.jpg

Anyway.... just buy the Mac and the iPad FFS lol

Bus w**ker
I worry about the eye sight of people that can't see the superior quality of a retina device at any distance.

Tesla MP3 2021
Snap... its the same as people who say they cant see the difference in HD TV.

I feel like saying, go for an eye test!

LY 182
I worry about the eye sight of people that can't see the superior quality of a retina device at any distance.

You definitely need good eye sight to appreciate it fully. I was playing with one the other day and wasn't like oh s**t that's amazing. I have s**t eye sight.

So I finally bit the bullet.

Base processor but 512GB storage and 16GB RAM (virtual machines eat memory). Ordered a few accessories, including a Thunderbolt-RJ45 adaptor, superdrive, a keyboard skin, a second PSU (one for work, one for life), and a cool backpack. Also gonna get the MacLocks locking case.

Came in at c.£2700.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I'm going to upgrade my almost three year old mbp to 8gb ram and a ssd soon. Should speed it up. Cost will be about £250 so quite good investment for next few years.