ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

220 almost dies after starting up and then doesn't run right/ won't go above 2000 revs.

Clio 220 trophy
Hi, been a while since I posted as the car so far has been a dream to drive, not anymore though. So about a year ago I changed the exhaust to a scorpion and added the itg induction kit. It ran slightly rough afterwards and seemed to be slightly down on power, I put it down to the car needing a remap to adjust for the new parts added. I couldn't get it remapped due to the extortionate price increase on the insurance, so I never got it done and just used the car as is since it was basically running fine. But recently when I start the engine the revs almost drop to nothing, raise back up and the car drives fine. But every so often, like today, it is un drivable after starting up. The revs drop and then are erratic, rising and falling, and the car won't go above 2000revs like it's in limp mode or something. The dashboard is like a christmas tree too. Lots of lights on. But it seems to only happen after the car is warm from a previous drive, once it's cooled down completely it starts up fine and drives fine. It's actually worrying me as I don't have thousands lying around to fix a major problem, but I have a gut feeling that it is exactly what I'm going to have to find. Should I take it into Renault or try the remap first?

Also, when I go over a bump at slow speeds I hear a loud knock under the dashboard as though something is loose under the car, but it could be unrelated and just the exhaust moving around a bit?

Thanks for any advice

2014 Clio 200t edc
Im no expert but it could be either a boost or vacuum pipe has come off. Could be the Hotside gasket is leaking although I’m not sure of the symptoms of that. Check the simple things first.

Clio 220 trophy
Thanks, I'll give that a check, have to wait until after work tomorrow to have a proper look under the bonnet. The thing that is really confusing me about it is that the car did this last thursday, then has driven fine for almost a week, then it did it again today having drove me home with no issues, it's such a strange problem.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
You don't say where you are in the UK but I'd say get it to a recommended mech to have it looked at who has access to CLIP and some knowledge of Renaults.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
If I reading it right with that timescale of nearly a year, that's madness having it like that for that length of time

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
As above a diagnostic will pinpoint which sensor or system is causing the issue.

A simple check in the meantime would be to make sure the ITG induction kit is perfectly sealed. It might be causing an air leak. Incorrect air-fuel mixture, would confuse the ECU (Engine Control Unit) and trigger limp mode or erratic behaviour.

The knocking or even the main issue, could be something to do with that Scorpion exhaust. Have a look to see if it's not touching anything or if it's coming loose. Thermal expansion might be an issue here. If it's not properly seated/sealed, when it gets hot it could expand/move around slightly and cause leaks. This is consistent with it being fine when cooler.

Problems like this are usually always related to something you've overlooked, at least in my experience.

I'd check those before getting a map otherwise you might end up having an expensive waste of a day.

Last edited:
  Clio 220 trophy
You don't say where you are in the UK but I'd say get it to a recommended mech to have it looked at who has access to CLIP and some knowledge of Renaults.
You wouldn't happen to have a link to somewhere I could buy that would you? I'm guessing it's expensive but if I had that I wouldn't have to wait for weeks for a mechanic to be free as it could be something I could fix myself. It is booked in to the local Renault for end of next month to be serviced ( literally the soonest appointment available) but I have to take it to a random garage to try and find the fault, they have appointments next week.

Clio 220 trophy
If I reading it right with that timescale of nearly a year, that's madness having it like that for that length of time
This fault only started last week, it's been running fine since I got the car, it just wasn't running as smooth after the parts were added, but nothing crazy, it could have even been my imagination as I was worried about adding them and not remapping

Clio 220 trophy
As above a diagnostic will pinpoint which sensor or system is causing the issue.

A simple check in the meantime would be to make sure the ITG induction kit is perfectly sealed. It might be causing an air leak. Incorrect air-fuel mixture, would confuse the ECU (Engine Control Unit) and trigger limp mode or erratic behaviour.

The knocking or even the main issue, could be something to do with that Scorpion exhaust. Have a look to see if it's not touching anything or if it's coming loose. Thermal expansion might be an issue here. If it's not properly seated/sealed, when it gets hot it could expand/move around slightly and cause leaks. This is consistent with it being fine when cooler.

Problems like this are usually always related to something you've overlooked, at least in my experience.

I'd check those before getting a map otherwise you might end up having an expensive waste of a day.
Well I took the ITG off the car last weekend, cleaned and re oiled the filter then refitted it thinking it might help. Car ran fine for days and then just out of nowhere had this issue again. I'm gonna get under the car over the weekend and see if I can find anything obvious, I thought maybe it's a dodgy lambda sensor but I'm not sure I would know without replacing it. I've parked the car for now until I can figure it out or get it seen by a mechanic, as it runs fine now but still has the engine, service and tyre pressure lights on the dash.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
CLIP diagnostics should help, there are people on here that do have it uploaded to their laptop. I only mentioned location as there might be someone on here that might be able to plug in for you and read the error codes. Assuming if it's booked in at Renault you've asked them for diagnostic checks as well as the service?

Clio 220 trophy
CLIP diagnostics should help, there are people on here that do have it uploaded to their laptop. I only mentioned location as there might be someone on here that might be able to plug in for you and read the error codes. Assuming if it's booked in at Renault you've asked them for diagnostic checks as well as the service?
No they're not doing any diagnostics for me as I'm hoping it will be fixed by then, the garage I'm going to take it to next week should be able to find the problem, but I'd feel better knowing what the problem was myself before anyone looked at it, because they could tell me anything and I'd be none the wiser and might pay for something I don't actually need. I don't think it's an engine problem though, just due to how it runs smooth and pulls like always, it feels to me like the ECU is getting confused somehow. But I'm a fabricator not a mechanic lol

Clio 220 trophy
If it happens again while I'm running it over the weekend I'll take a video and post it, may be easier for you to suggest a reason for it, rather than from me trying to explain it.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Needs diagnostics with clip, could just be a basic plug or coil.

Doubt its related to airfilter, they dont have a maf from memory so wont be an airflow issue.

Clio 220 trophy
Needs diagnostics with clip, could just be a basic plug or coil.

Doubt its related to airfilter, they dont have a maf from memory so wont be an airflow issue.
I've just always been concerned that it might need a remap with new air filter and exhaust, read somewhere these cars can be finicky with small changes. But it would be great if it is an easy fix

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I've just always been concerned that it might need a remap with new air filter and exhaust, read somewhere these cars can be finicky with small changes. But it would be great if it is an easy fix
It will benefit from a map but its not going to run rough without one, performance might not be optimal but it shouldnt be misfiring or conking out.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
As above try BTT, I've used them for my twingo. I dont think they have clip though. Might be wrong.