ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

220 Trophy

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_20180705_203128.jpg

Picked this up yesterday, 220 Trophy facelift, options fitted are:
  • Black leather with red stitching
  • Heated seats
  • reversing camera
id have loved the BOSE and Akrapovic but had to take what was available as production has ended!

will get some more pictures tomorrow, not had time for any as I cant stop driving it, I cant believe I let the reviews put me off buying one for so long, still early days but so far my thoughts are, it looks fantastic (a lada riva would look fantastic in LY tbh), the gearbox is fantastic, leave it in normal auto or sport auto and its brilliant about town, yet to find a situation in 250 miles of mixed driving where its done anything odd, yet bang it into race mode and the changes are fantastic, literally instant as soon as you pull a paddle, it shifts.

The torque!!!!!!! I thought Id have missed the high revving nature of the mk2/3 but its got so much usable performance in any gear ive yet to even hear the shift beep, a few times today I was in situations where I was having to overtake a truck/bus etc and even with only 3500rpm gear changes it was pulling so strong. but get it up the revs and it really starts to fly!

the noise! I thought my 197 with an Akrapovic sounded great banging on gear changes, but this is fantastic, its a proper raw bark in race mode, and sounds so keen on boost.

Biggest surprize for me is how well ive got on with the gearbox, im an auto hater, Ive always heel and toe everywhere, I left foot brake, so ive always said a sub 400hp performance car should be manual, but IF a manual was available, going back, knowing what I know now id still take the EDC.

ive yet to properly learn the chassis and play with it so more to come on how I get on with it as the months pass!

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi, Martin if you have a track monitor you can change your settings in car setup. Enjoy your new car. ?

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
View attachment 1373820

Picked this up yesterday, 220 Trophy facelift, options fitted are:
  • Black leather with red stitching
  • Heated seats
  • reversing camera
id have loved the BOSE and Akrapovic but had to take what was available as production has ended!

will get some more pictures tomorrow, not had time for any as I cant stop driving it, I cant believe I let the reviews put me off buying one for so long, still early days but so far my thoughts are, it looks fantastic (a lada riva would look fantastic in LY tbh), the gearbox is fantastic, leave it in normal auto or sport auto and its brilliant about town, yet to find a situation in 250 miles of mixed driving where its done anything odd, yet bang it into race mode and the changes are fantastic, literally instant as soon as you pull a paddle, it shifts.

The torque!!!!!!! I thought Id have missed the high revving nature of the mk2/3 but its got so much usable performance in any gear ive yet to even hear the shift beep, a few times today I was in situations where I was having to overtake a truck/bus etc and even with only 3500rpm gear changes it was pulling so strong. but get it up the revs and it really starts to fly!

the noise! I thought my 197 with an Akrapovic sounded great banging on gear changes, but this is fantastic, its a proper raw bark in race mode, and sounds so keen on boost.

Biggest surprize for me is how well ive got on with the gearbox, im an auto hater, Ive always heel and toe everywhere, I left foot brake, so ive always said a sub 400hp performance car should be manual, but IF a manual was available, going back, knowing what I know now id still take the EDC.

ive yet to properly learn the chassis and play with it so more to come on how I get on with it as the months pass!
Great to see another LY 220 on the forum!

Seems like your buying, and initial driving experience's have been very similar to mine!

For anyone on the fence, that likes the car but is put off by that EDC gearbox. I urge them to just take one in a test drive!

Granted it might not be for you, but personally as someone who was very cautious at the thought of an automatic performance car, its been a game changer!

When I get mine out in track at CSF later this year will be the final test to see whether I've bought the 'right car' [emoji23]

@Martin_172 If your impressed by the torque/performance right now you should consider getting a remap at RS Tuning in Leeds.

It's improved my own car no end! And would recommend it to anyone!

@Ricardos would also vouch for their work! [emoji1303]

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Great to see another LY 220 on the forum!

Seems like your buying, and initial driving experience's have been very similar to mine!

For anyone on the fence, that likes the car but is put off by that EDC gearbox. I urge them to just take one in a test drive!

Granted it might not be for you, but personally as someone who was very cautious at the thought of an automatic performance car, its been a game changer!

When I get mine out in track at CSF later this year will be the final test to see whether I've bought the 'right car' [emoji23]

@Martin_172 If your impressed by the torque/performance right now you should consider getting a remap at RS Tuning in Leeds.

It's improved my own car no end! And would recommend it to anyone!

@Ricardos would also vouch for their work! [emoji1303]

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

I might look into it once it's a bit further Into the warranty period, I've used rs tuning on some of my previous cars before

I took it a good 30 minute test drive and tbh it felt like any other modern auto, I'd say it was only after 24hrs and 250 miles that it started to come into its own and shine! I think that's a lot of the problem with initial review!

Clio 220 Trophy
Glad to see people who experience the 220 Trophy enjoy it. Mine is brilliant and not like what most of the haters/motoring press said about it. Did you know that there is a uk company that now active most if not all the features of Non RS monitor cars. Sorry the name of the company escapes me at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 140
  RS Clio 220 Trophy
I got an ex demonstrator in LY with Leather heated seats Bose stereo Akrapovic exhaust RS monitor and all the bells and whistles....Had it since March and totally loving it! ?

Clio 220 Trophy
I've had mine about 10 months longer that you. It's a fully spec'd car like yours and was a pre reg car with 68miles on the clock. The only issue I've had is the skipping of the tyres in cold damp weather on full lock (you'll see what I mean around Oct/Nov time) it's as if there's too much lock on the rack. Mine won't self centre when on full lock even though the geometry is correct. Try it. Rotate the steering wheel fully clockwise and then set off slowly and don't hold the steering wheel. It should self centre, But Trophies don't appear to do this. Unfortunately I need to apply full lock to get up my driveway.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I've had mine about 10 months longer that you. It's a fully spec'd car like yours and was a pre reg car with 68miles on the clock. The only issue I've had is the skipping of the tyres in cold damp weather on full lock (you'll see what I mean around Oct/Nov time) it's as if there's too much lock on the rack. Mine won't self centre when on full lock even though the geometry is correct. Try it. Rotate the steering wheel fully clockwise and then set off slowly and don't hold the steering wheel. It should self centre, But Trophies don't appear to do this. Unfortunately I need to apply full lock to get up my driveway.
tbh I think all my clio RS have done that, my 182 and 182 trophy definitely did, and the twingo RS did too!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
5 days in and ive never taken a car out more "just for the sake of it" than I am doing with this, even at 17/18 in my 172 when I had unlimited free time! I am actually blown away with it! - never a truer statement to take what you read in magazines with a pinch of salt!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Done about 1500 miles in it now, still in love, still genuinely surprized at its pace!

Attachments

• 36684870_10209459564646452_3164847287436312576_o.jpg
    36684870_10209459564646452_3164847287436312576_o.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 36802028_10209469097604770_1928817714680299520_o.jpg
    36802028_10209469097604770_1928817714680299520_o.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 37345041_10209521894764666_4120408847154151424_n.jpg
    37345041_10209521894764666_4120408847154151424_n.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 37352040_10209521895604687_2971064753952129024_n.jpg
    37352040_10209521895604687_2971064753952129024_n.jpg