ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

24 meg BB???

Tesla MP3 2021
all speeds are upto whatever they quote.
it all depeneds on a few things. i.e distance from exchange, capability within the exchnage on the LLU equipment - the ratio of the connection.

Oh and it does help for them to have there equipment in your local exchange ;)

Tesla MP3 2021
Well 24 meg available in May 2007 for me :D

upto 24mb ;). probably more like 8mb.
its very strange that all the top providers such as Sky, Orange, Pipex people like that only offer around the 8mb mark. basically LLU projects cost alot of £££££££££ and for a company i have never evan heard of can offer 24mb they must have some serious dosh

Clio200 EDC Lux
all speeds are upto whatever they quote.
it all depeneds on a few things. i.e distance from exchange, capability within the exchnage on the LLU equipment - the ratio of the connection.

Oh and it does help for them to have there equipment in your local exchange ;)

Yep exactly is like the up to 8mb service, only a small percentage can get anywhere near that. Had a quick look through some Be forums etc, someone is on the 24mb service but only gets 3mb due to the distance.

Tesla MP3 2021
^yep, wouldnt be suprised so why pay alot of money for a service you will never get :S

Clio200 EDC Lux
Exactly I am on the up to 8mb service I live close to the exchange and get just over 6mb, yet my friend who lives about 4 miles away in the sticks is paying the same as me but struggles to get over 1mb.

Its all about marketing, the reality is quite often very different.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
don't matter really, switches n hubs n servers won't be able to handle lots of people using them speeds, so you won't gain much speed

Audi TT 225
I work for BT in this sorta industry and if you get 50mb BB I'll eat my hat!!
Hell I would eat it if you even got close to that... or even 24mb lol

I deal with phat fibre optic connections which is like industrial broadband for the big boys and trust me its horse poo at the moment...

172 Cup
Hell I would eat it if you even got close to that... or even 24mb lol

Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:09
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,321 / 24,576
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/MB]: 146.00 / 0.98
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 16.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 15.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 5.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

What flavour hat?

Tesla MP3 2021
yeah well griff has always been different.;)

arnt you using some server from work or sommet??

172 Cup

Nope... Be (as in the first post). Migrated from Ukonline 22mb service to Be last week.

24mbps is perfectly achievable and there's plenty of Be customers that can achieve that speed. Obviously not the majority of their customers, but a significant amount all the same.

Too many people listen to stories in the pub, proclaim themselves experts and jump on the bandwagon to put a product/service/technology down.

when you say telewest/virgin, does that mean NTL aswell... the only reason I'm asking is because NTL has recently been bourght by Virgin Media?

Tesla MP3 2021

Nope... Be (as in the first post). Migrated from Ukonline 22mb service to Be last week.

24mbps is perfectly achievable and there's plenty of Be customers that can achieve that speed. Obviously not many, but a significant amount all the same.

Too many people listen to stories in the pub, proclaim themselves experts and jump on the bandwagon to put a product/service/technology down.

right ok, just i thought i rememberd reading something ages ago where you had some sort of strange connection through work.

sorry i missed the bit where you said you were on ADSL 2 ;)

glad its working so well for you

Tesla MP3 2021
when you say telewest/virgin, does that mean NTL aswell... the only reason I'm asking is because NTL has recently been bourght by Virgin Media?

NTL owned telewest iirc and then NTL merged with virgin mobile but they decided to chnage the name to virgin media for so many years

172 Cup

24mbps is perfectly achievable and there's plenty of Be customers that can achieve that speed. Obviously not many, but a significant amount all the same.

right ok, just i thought i rememberd reading something ages ago where you had some sort of strange connection through work.

sorry i missed the bit where you said you were on ADSL 2 ;)

glad its working so well for you

Me? Don't recall saying anything like that mate. I do download direct to servers in Redbus/Telehouse now and again but trust me the speeds are way way above what I quoted for my home connection.

Audi TT 225
Rich, do you work for wholesale or retail?

Lol its a bit messed up, My project comes under One IT mate but I used to be Wholesale and Global Services before that. Well technically Im a consultant because I officially work for Tech Mahindra. I was BT but quit over pay then TM threw a boat load of money at me to keep running my system :cool:

I designed, built and manage a system which stores and manages the configuration data for the fibres and hardware. I now manage a couple of developers and run the system.

Tesla MP3 2021
Rich, do you work for wholesale or retail?

Lol its a bit messed up, My project comes under One IT mate but I used to be Wholesale and Global Services before that. Well technically Im a consultant because I officially work for Tech Mahindra. I was BT but quit over pay then TM threw a boat load of money at me to keep running my system :cool:

I designed, built and manage a system which stores and manages the configuration data for the fibres and hardware. I now manage a couple of developers and run the system.

cool, good stuff.

i work for Opal or you may know it as CORE if you know it at all ;)

Audi TT 225
Thats funny cuz virgin was a reseller of NTL's service going back a few years when I worked for the dark side lol
There was also comtel, cable online, which online, virgin, NTL, diamond something... it was all the same backbone just different lables on it.

172 Cup
Nothing wrong with it. 5.5 is fine...

Guess i shouldn't believe everything I read! Mine you the article I read was about ADSL Max which is more sensitive no? Ignore me if I'm talking s**t. Still trying to learn!

I bet you get your moneys worth out of newsgroups with that fast a connection!;)

You're on the right track to be fair mate. Most ISP's will tend to use 6dB as a target SNR and if it falls below that figure they would probably intervene, by artificially capping the sync rate for example, to raise the figure back up.

That said there's no harm in having a noise margin under 6dB if you're capable of holding a connection and with LLU suppliers not in the clutches of BT wholesale tend to give their customers more of a voice and allow them to "fettle" with their connections.

Some Be users use DMT for example and I've seen margins as low as 2.5dB hold successfully.