ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2nd Gear Issues

Clio 172 Ph1
Hi all

Had a ride out in the 172 earlier today, and on the way back I noticed that everytime I went to change down to 2nd, it made a crunching noise as if I hadn't fully pressed the clutch. The only way I could stop the crunching from occuring was to slow to a crawl before selecting 2nd. Once into 2nd however, there were no problems at all and changing out of 2nd didn't cause any issues either.

All the other gears seem fine, I could change into them as normal, just 2nd that seemed to be affected by this crunching.

Does anybody have any ideas what the problem might be? Could I be looking at an expensive gearbox problem?

Cheers

BMW M135i
Sounds like the 2nd gear syncro is worn/wearing, expensive problem.
Is probably cheaper to get a new gearbox than to fit new syncros unless you can do it yourself and then its a gearbox to complete pieces job, not very nice.

Clio 172 Ph1
bmh.01 said:
Sounds like the 2nd gear syncro is worn/wearing, expensive problem.
Is probably cheaper to get a new gearbox than to fit new syncros unless you can do it yourself and then its a gearbox to complete pieces job, not very nice.

Not a chance of doing anything like that myself unfortunately :(

So, a new gearbox is on the cards is it? :cry:

Dare I ask... how much would I be looking at if that's the case?

Clio 172 Ph1
16v_jon said:
Try having the oil changed first

Is that an easy enough job, and more importantly, is it expensive?

Sorry for all the questions, not very mechanically minded :eek:

J

JEFF4507

Start shifting properly is the only answer I can think of..

172 cup'd extreme
JEFF4507 said:
Start shifting properly is the only answer I can think of..

obviously you dont know about the moon cheese synchros of the 172 box, the second gear goes first . chris and nic's car has a new box due to this. try changing the oil its £30ish quid may calm it down a bit before taking the plunge for a grands worth of work

Clio 172 Ph1
16v_jon said:
chris and nic's car has a new box due to this. try changing the oil its £30ish quid may calm it down a bit before taking the plunge for a grands worth of work

A grand?! <Dies>

I really REALLY hope an oil change can sort the problem for a while, I just can't afford a £1000+ right now :(

J

JEFF4507

Indeed Renault synchronisers may not be the best, so if you're after gearbox life, then double clutch downshifts will increase it no end. I take it there's little to no problem going 1st - 2nd

J

JEFF4507

Look up Gregs shifting school on google. It may be for BMW M5's but you don't have to have a monster to destroy a gearbox and clutch through poor shifting.

172 cup'd extreme
would be an idea to double clutch most of the time to save wear and tear esp on journeys where your not driving like you stole it.