ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3.5 years, and a few changes... Nothing special!

172 cup
It's been a while since I posted anything, so thought I'd share what's happened to the cup whilst I've had it... It definitely won't be to everyone's taste, but I'm a lot happier with it as it is now!

It was without doubt 'chavy' when I first got it, and although most will perceive it as still being 'chavy', it's acceptable now!

It was a fairly good deal when I got it back in early 2009, but it had 17" Inovit wheels, budget tyres, a Longlife exhaust with no centre silencer (couldn't talk at 30mph), an open cone Pipercross, Apex springs and bright silver grills:

oldfront.jpg

oldrear.jpg

Despite the cambelt having been 'done recently' I didn't fancy the risk... so, first things first, I changed the belt. The first real change was the exhaust... A K-Tec Stealth with centre section. This seemed fine at first, and not long after that I got their sports cat to go with it.

The motorway drone got too much though, so I reverted back to standard exhaust but kept the sports cat... which is the set up I've still got now! Quiet on motorways and around town, but the noise pedal still works when you want it to.

Next up was the Pipercross, which got replaced with a V6 box. I had this for a few years, but then fancied a change a put a home brew K-Tec set up on it (with another Pipercross filter!).

Other changes include a RS Tuner remap, a smaller black aerial, uprated dogbone mount, short shift gear linkage, sportlines, skoda splitter and some Rota R Specs from Rarerims (no issues with Rota personally). The car looked like this after that (except the splitter, obviously):

DSC00897.jpg

The next thing that had to go was the steering wheel - which had the usual issues with thumb grips and melting - so I got a retrimmed wheel from Arran 182 on here. Before, and before and after:

wheel3.jpg

wheel.jpg

Since then, I haven't done too much other than the usual servicing items... until last weekend when I finally had enough of the bright silver grills etc. So I tried to match the colour of the wheels (I appreciate that I could have gone back to black, but the silver had grown on me... a bit!). The sport badge was already off, and the Renault had to go due to the effort required to paint and restick it, lazy I know! I also smoothed the bullets, and finally sorted the hazing on the headlights out:

newfront.jpg

newrear.jpg

And that is where it is now. Future plans are standard/uprated engine mounts (still can't decide after reading countless opinions) and trying to avoid the urge to buy a RS2 intake or cams!

To be fair, I'm happy enough with it as it is... fun and fairly economical, can't complain really!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
They really remind me of the Integra Type R wheels! Tidy!

The silver really does not suit the grills in any way shape or form i dont care what anyone says lol.

Having seen this car from start to finish.. Have to say last weekends efforts have gone a long way!

Those silver grills were spoiling the car imo.. You need some better photos of the new look after you have detailed it lol

Oh.. and you forgot the suspension setup, tyres and fresh number plates haha

Chris .. not Lou

172 cup
The only way it'll be detailed is if you do it lad... Momentary madness when I was thinking about that!

Sportlines were mentioned, tyres are service items, and the plates... Fair enough, missed them! Also missed the 5mm spacers... I apologise!

172 cup
Exhaust is definitely a lot better... both aesthetically, and on the ears!

I'm surprised so many people are liking the wheels, especially as they're Rotas and not Turinis!