ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3 faults please help.

Clio 172 Ph1.
The car is a ph 1 172. I would just like to know if anyone else has experinced these problems.

1. Start problems:
Clio wont start sometimes. When you turn the key to "start" nothing happens AT ALL. The starterwire from the ignitionlock show 12V when turning. This is not an immobilizer problem.
Any ideas?

2. Knocking Noise:
When i brake, there comes a noise from the rear brakes. Its a knocking noise, and it seems to follow the wheels rotation. I took it apart, and nothing seems wrong. So i might suspect the caliber. But how could this result in a knocking noise? Any ideas og experinces?

3. Idle.
Sometimes (mainly in cold weather) when i start the clio up, it just dies again. If i then start it again with some gas, and hold the revs up to 1500 rpms, then all is fine. but sometimes it just goes out between gearshifts.
Again, any ideas or experinces?

Best regards kennet.

PH1 172
Answers below

The car is a ph 1 172. I would just like to know if anyone else has experinced these problems.

1. Start problems:
Clio wont start sometimes. When you turn the key to "start" nothing happens AT ALL. The starterwire from the ignitionlock show 12V when turning. This is not an immobilizer problem.
Any ideas?

Does your trip computer reset itself everytime, even when it has started for you 1st time? If so it could be your battery.

2. Knocking Noise:
When i brake, there comes a noise from the rear brakes. Its a knocking noise, and it seems to follow the wheels rotation. I took it apart, and nothing seems wrong. So i might suspect the caliber. But how could this result in a knocking noise? Any ideas og experinces?

At a guess I would say it is a wheel bearing as I had a similar problem to what you are descibing. Jack the car up and wobble the wheel and see if there is excessive movement

3. Idle.
Sometimes (mainly in cold weather) when i start the clio up, it just dies again. If i then start it again with some gas, and hold the revs up to 1500 rpms, then all is fine. but sometimes it just goes out between gearshifts.

Again a guess but this could probably be down to a fault TDC sensor and this sensor could also be the fault to your 1st problem as well

Best regards kennet.

1st problem could be the starter motor, or the wires connecting to it. Had this on my 1.2 where nothing happened but after fiddling the wires all was fine.

Clio 172 Ph1.

1. Start problems:
Any ideas?

Does your trip computer reset itself everytime, even when it has started for you 1st time? If so it could be your battery.
trip doesnt reset, and the battery is a month old.

2. Knocking Noise:

At a guess I would say it is a wheel bearing as I had a similar problem to what you are descibing. Jack the car up and wobble the wheel and see if there is excessive movement
Ill try this asap.

3. Idle.

Again a guess but this could probably be down to a fault TDC sensor and this sensor could also be the fault to your 1st problem as well
the tdc sensor is okay. And the starter would turn over if this wasnt okay.
Best regards kennet.

Clio 172 Ph1.
could the idle issue be down to the throttle body?
If so, would there be a faultcode from the throttle body?