ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

360 Overheating Help

So my xbox kept over heating (2 red lights), even stood up, next to an open window!

I read that changing the thermal paste for some newer cleaner stuff will help, so off I went to do it, all went fine, but everything back together again and then got 3 red lights.. RROD, anything I can do? What did i do wrong?

Any ideas?

​Cheers!

997.1, Caddy, e208
Aside from reballing the GPU on a BGA rework station, it's as good as toast. Any fix you do will be temporary.

Am I having a brain fart here fatty... You being serious?

Might order the kit, can't see how it will work though! Consoles themselves are quite cheap on ebay so might just get a second hand one.

Just googled it and now it makes alot more sense than when I first read the original comment haha, I'll do the towel trick see how that goes!

997.1, Caddy, e208
IT overheats the console and 'reflows' the lead free solder, it also damages the GPU.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
That xclamp thing worked on my first 360, it still works too. I have replaced it since then though!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
you can also use a hair dryer over the GPU chip if the oven dosnt take you fancy. Works like a charm. Sometime syou can actually hear them falling back into place. its safer than the towel trick as the GPU is not powered on.

I wrapped mine in a towel for 20 minutes, then done used an x clamp fix kit and it hasn't stopped working since. It's an original release Xbox, so i have had my moneys worth.