ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3rd gear crunch?

L-Y Clio 197 F1
Getting a slight 'crunch' into 3rd when giving it the beans. Tried slowing right down on the gear change, making sure the clutch is flat to the floor but still getting it when I go up past around 7k rpm in 2nd. Doesn't happen if I'm driving normal, nor if im going from 4th to 3rd - also doesn't happen in any other gear regardless of how hard the car is being driven

Is this the start of a possible gearbox failure or am I just being paranoid? :S

L-Y Clio 197 F1
if it does ever come to the point where the gearbox does need to be changed - are there any alternatives other than Renault's own? Just trying to prepare for the worst here in the near future - google doesnt seem to pull up many results on alternative or 'uprated' gearboxes to deal with this issue. Any sources that supply this sort of stuff?

Seems to be a fairly common problem. Always amused me that they couldn't build a gearbox to withstand 150lbs of torque :(