ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4-2-1 manifold & 4-1 manifold questions

For some time I have had these questions in my head, but never actually got round to asking them so today is the day!

I know what a 4-2-1 manifold is and a 4-1 manifold is but I'm not exactly sure what the differences/gains is between the two, and which one (if any) is better for performance/flow? and what the point is of upgrading from a 4-1 to a 4-2-1 (I have seen people say this). If anyone could be of help to a manifold noob I'd appreciate it, thanks :)

(Picture stolen from someone on here)

DSC02507.jpg

182 manifold (left)
172 manifold (right)

Thanks

Ph2 Clio 172
I always thought the 421 manifold on the 182 was part of the reason it makes a bit more power than the 172? Hence why the 421 is considered better than the 41

I always thought the 421 manifold on the 182 was part of the reason it makes a bit more power than the 172? Hence why the 421 is considered better than the 41

I understand that, I'd like to know how the 4-2-1 makes more power, and why it is considered better over the 4-1

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
The 4-2-1 mani flows better than the 4-1. I'm no expert, but look at how much twistier the 4-1 manifold's pipes are. The 182 manifold looks more direct, doesn't twist and turn as much, so the exhaust gases flow more freely.

Ph2 Clio 172
Manifold design is around how the exhaust gasses interact with each other. Its quite complex and I'm not going to pretend I understand it, but basically gains can be made by adjusting the length of the pipes and the cylinders that are paired up to ensure that the gasses meet each other at the optimum point in the combustion cycle.

If you look at the design the 4-1 just puts all the echaust gasses together, while the 4-2-1 combines cylinders 1 and 4 together, and 2 and 3 together before combining them both later.

Quite how, I don't know, but this obviously has some effect. Probably to do with reducing the effect of gasses meeting from one cylinder that is exhasuting and another that is not which could cause a vacuum.

Maybe each pipe only has to deal with one cylinders gases at a time? And by having them run into the alternate stroke cylinders pipe first and then into each other, the gases are more efficiently passed through? Just a guess lol

GENERALLY 4-2-1 will produce power lower down, but 4-1 will produce a revvier engine with power up top

But that is a generalisation - as said the length of the headers and the flow rates and the amount of bends etc... will all have an impact on how they perform

On a 1*2 the 182 manifold produces a little bit more torque in the mid range whereas the 172 manifold produces it higher up. The difference on the road really isn't noticeable.

Lol aye, you can almost hear someone in dieppe realising "merdè, where's my hammer?"

The really weird thing is some 182 manifolds don't have that dent in them - mine doesn't
It appears to me some people started complaining about the vibration against ARB, which is actually down to soft/worn or badly fitted engine mounts - and they figured the best fix for it was to whack the manifold with a hammer to make more room lol

Clio 172
The really weird thing is some 182 manifolds don't have that dent in them - mine doesn't
It appears to me some people started complaining about the vibration against ARB, which is actually down to soft/worn or badly fitted engine mounts - and they figured the best fix for it was to whack the manifold with a hammer to make more room lol

If in doubt, get the hammer out.

Clio 172
4-1 more bhp less torque 4-2-1 more torque less bhp changed my 172 manifold to 4-2-1 and had before and after dyno readings ... Stu

Ph 1 172
As said before 4-2-1 I'd for low down grunt 4-1 for top end, was used to get the fat lumbering 182 moving so it could try and keep up with the 172(specifically the phase 1) lol

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
the 4-2-1 manifold should smooth out the mid range power and make less power top end over a 4-1. on a standered engine the engine will be minimal.

the length,bore and angles of primary,secondary runners cat and system can be fine tuned to an engine to make the exhaust suck out the combustion chambers and suck in the induction mixture to improve volumetric efficiency. to work better with the cams induction for pulse tuning.

Clio 172
No i havent snymore ive had so many bits of paper lol shes running at 200 bhp at the mo and has been for 8 months but im on the verge of supercharging i think